Black Bean Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
Black Bean Soup
I live on bean soup during the winter and it is one of my favorite foods along with a nice slice of warm cornbread. Because of a painful trip to the dentist I made bean soup that is blended smooth and it was excellent. Enjoy!

1 - 1 lb bag Black beans soaked overnight
1 or so Tablespoons Butter - Margarine is NOT butter.
3 Carrots, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
1 Celery Stick chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne powder
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
5 cups Beef Stock or 5 teaspoons beef base or bullion and 5 cups water
1 cup water
Fresh ground Black Pepper to taste.

In a medium high stock pot melt butter and sautee Carrots, Onion, Celery and garlic until soft. About 8 or so minutes, stirring on and off.

Add salt, cumin, cayenne and oregano and stir to combine.

Add Stock, water and re-hydrated beans and simmer for about 20 minutes to a half an hour.

Pour mixture into blender or food processor and blend until fairly smooth and pour back into stock pot. Add water if to thick and cook down if not thick enough, reheat and serve.

Serve with tortilla chips, grated cheese, sour cream and hot sauce or with corn bread. This recipe with less water or cooked down would make an excellent bean dip.

BlackBeanSoupSm.jpg

Good Lawdy Miz Claudie that do sound and look excellent. Got it copied. Gonna send the warden out for black beans early tomorrow. Thanks so much. I would send her tonight but she is out partying with the 10 year old grand daughter at the Grapevine Opry. They called and let me listen to a great rendition of vintage Patsy Cline over the cell phone. Now do my grand kids have good taste in music or whut:)

bigwheel

Woops..just noticed a problemo with this recipe. That aint enough beans. We gonna need to at least double it so all my ravenous hollow legged grand chillins at least get a spunnell full. 2 lbs of beans is about right. 1 lb just enough to make em hongry:)

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom