Walter Jetton's Mop Sauce (Slightly tweaked small batch*)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
Used this the other day on brisket and came out very good. Not sure its any better or worse than the original but it made use of some stuff on hand and made a smaller amount etc. Enough for two briskets.

3 cups water
1 cup leftover black coffee (or another cup of water if you dont have any coffee handy)
1 heaping Tablespoon of Betta than Bullion Beef Base
1/2 cup Lea n Perrins Wooster sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 T. onyawn powder
1 T. garlic powder
2 T. butter
1 t. chili powder
1 t. MSG (Accent)
2 t. Franks Hot Sauce
1/4 t. Frenchies prepared mustard
1/4 of a big bay leaf
black peppa and salt to taste

Heat it all up slowly in a SS sauce pan. Cook the brisket fat side down and apply the hot mop to the lean side using a SS Tablespoon starting at about hour 3. Then maybe once an hour after that. When the brisket hits 160 (or whutever ever temp you like) in the flat lay out some tinfoil and throw half a handful of rub and a handful of brown sugar out on the foil. Lay the brisket on the foil lean side down. Pour about a cup or so of the hot mop over the top and seal it up. Continueth to cook till it dies and gives up. In an ideal world when the brisket gets done 195-200 and passes the poke test you want cool the brisket down for about an hour and dump off the accumulated juice. Defat the juice..slice and reassemble the brisket and add enough fresh mop to the defatted juice to equal a cup or so dump it back over the top then reheat it slightly yet again. Fan the slices like a deck of cards when your dumping the mop so a little juice gets in between each slice.

Thanks for the tips bigwheel. Our brisket, using the original Walter Jetton's mop recipe, came out fantastic. I let it cook fat side up all the way through unfoiled until it reached 200 degrees. However, the fat cap was scored in a checker board fashion to allow the mop to get to the meat. After it was done, I foiled it and put it to bed with towels in an ice chest for an hour. After cooled enough, it went in the fridge overnight. Next morning I sliced it up, added a couple of ladels of mop and reheated it. It was a bit hit for Easter dinner. Tasted fantastic.

Thanks for your help and for posting the Walter Jetton mop recipe. :D

Thanks for the recipe, after I get my new WSM broke in I'd like to try a brisket and use a mop sauce. I've never used a mop before; is there something else I can use instead of the coffee? I'm not a coffee drinker...really don't like the taste or smell of it at all.

Yes just sub out a cup of water for the coffee. Or come up with a total of 4 cups beef broth for this particular sized batch.

You mighty welcome Ma'am. Always try to be helpful to my pals/palettes. Hey Lew. First batch of Jettons Mop I brewed up many moons ago..my old Bohemian brisket mentor ate my coola out good because of the oil in it. According to him the object on brisket is to get the grease out of it not add any. lol. Well I followed his advice and de olive oyled the mop as best I could. Hit 2nd out of 147 teams at Traders Village with the selfsame jug o stuff. Following his anti grease sentiments which seem to have worked I skip the oil. Have just now lately got brave enough to try putting just a touch o butter in it. Think it was a nice little flavor and color booster.

friesian_rain said:
Thanks for the recipe, after I get my new WSM broke in I'd like to try a brisket and use a mop sauce. I've never used a mop before; is there something else I can use instead of the coffee? I'm not a coffee drinker...really don't like the taste or smell of it at all.

A commercial fisherman that doesn't drink coffee? :D :D

Griff said:
friesian_rain said:

A commercial fisherman that doesn't drink coffee? :D :D

I know, I've tried, but I just can't do it ! :? I'm a tea drinker; not that fruity decaf stuff, though ! I'm a tough old girl :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom