South Central Carolina Gold Mustard Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn White

Sous Chef
Originally Posted on TVWB by John Mason July 7, 2004

South Central Carolina Gold

1-1/2 cup prepared mustard
5 Tbsp brown sugar
4 Tbsp tomato paste
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup water

Combine and simmer for 5 minutes to dissolve sugar

SW Comments: I love this stuff with pork or beef, I add 1 TBSP dehydrated minced onion and make it a little sweeter, I use Demerra sugar

Made this stuff up over the weekend, very good sauce, thanks!!!

I would add, when you are cooking it to watch, it will scorch.

Try Cattleman's Gold and Regular mixed 50/50 with enough pancake syrup to make it sweet. Old chum been serving that in his bbq deli operation for 30 years. Yups just love it. Dont even mind eating some myself. Tastes mighty good on a thick smoked baloney sandwich. Surely not as good as the ho made stuff in the recipe but super easy to make and fairly cheap. Last I checked Sams had Cattlemans for around 7 bucks a gallon.

bigwheel

Hey...this is my first post. :) I started making a Carolina Mustard Sauce a few years ago when my brother in law (who lived in NC for a few years) requested it at our family BBQ. I couldn't believe how popular it was. I've been making/selling quarts of it ever since. I found a recipe and tweaked it to make it mine. Good stuff!

Hello Folks,

We are new to your forum and like the great information.

We have lived in Central S. & N. Carolina and think the Carolina Gold is from another part of the Carolina's, not sure which area. Most of the Central N.C. Sauce has a vinager and tomato base & taste, while Central S.C. uses mainly a Mustard base sauce with a spicy mustard and vinager taste. We have a Mustard BBQ Sauce that combines both vinager and Mustard. It has a smokey taste to it as well.

Back
Top Bottom