Need a Caribbean Jerk Rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckscent

Assistant Cook
Any good recipe for Caribbean Jerk Rub? and how much do I need to make for about 150 wings?

150 Wings... OK

I have not used this on chicken but I know it will be good on anything!

Most Jamaican Rubs.. use just about the same spices, and if you use a "VERY SWEET SAUCE" it works great together!

This will make about 1 cup of rub so you do the math for 150 wings...

6 Tablespoon Onion Powder
6 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
2 Tablespoon Ground *Allspice
1 Tablespoon White Pepper
1 Tablespoon *Black Pepper
2 Tablespoon Cayenne
4 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
4 Teaspoon Ground *Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Ground *Nutmeg

Now if you want to kick it up (more heat) add some dry ground habanero chile.
One more trick I do is change it up by using ~Chinese Five-Spice (CFS) ~ which has the following
"EQUAL PARTS" Cinnamon, Star Anise, Clove, Fennel Seed, and Szechwan Peppercorn.
*NOTE* If you use the CFS do not use the Allspice, Black Pepper, Cinnamon and Nutmeg.

I use this rub on my ribs, smoking with Apple and Cherry wood, spraying them every 20-30 mins
for 6-8 hours on low heat then turning up the heat the last hour and mopping on a killer sauce!
The ribs are out of this world... The mix of Hot Rub and Very Sweet Sauce is UNREAL!!!
REMEMBER... You can play with any recipe "But This Rub" ~I would not change~

warning....when you multiply a recipe using dry ingredients, and pepper is one of them,
you are going to get exponentially hotter as the recipe is increased.
Ground pepper will not double or multiply at the same rate as salt, sugar, etc.
You can end up with a ton of rub that will set mouths on fire, which is
cool if that's your goal.

Wow Cappy your so smart it gets sorta skerry sometimes. I have seen some interesting conversion aids at some website which has a lot of recipes. Only can use it on their recipes I think but you plug number of servings wanted into the box and it whips you out a recipe for that amount. Now in sausage making I also just double up on pepper on a one to one ratio and never had a problem. Now what can get a person in trouble real quick is the aromatic stuff...cinnamon...cloves etc. I was taught spices by a januine Gourmet Chef from Cuber. His theory was if you can identify the spice being used..that is a sign the preparer has used too much. Aromatics should be used very judiciously in other words. Now I aint never tasted anything with too much black pepper in it that I can recall. Thats how folks screw up on Boudan each time. Not enough black pepper.

Goober

Wow..did not realize we had such a famous inventor in our midst. Now I had kin who invented the square baseball bat. Never did quite catch on in the baseball world but its a lot mo betta than round ones.

Goober

Sorry I'm Late.... But did I not say... "EQUAL PARTS"
Read Again... HUMmmmm?
by using ~Chinese Five-Spice (CFS) ~ which has the following
"EQUAL PARTS" Cinnamon, Star Anise, Clove, Fennel Seed, and Szechwan Peppercorn.
*NOTE* If you use the CFS do not use the Allspice, Black Pepper, Cinnamon and Nutmeg.

Wow....

Island Smoke Doctor said:
Sorry I'm Late.... But did I not say... "EQUAL PARTS"
Read Again... HUMmmmm?

Wow....

what are you takling about?

Captain Morgan said:
[quote="Island Smoke Doctor":1lgm1cbq]Sorry I'm Late.... But did I not say... "EQUAL PARTS"
Read Again... HUMmmmm?

Wow....

what are you takling about?[/quote:1lgm1cbq]

And what are you talking about?

Island Smoke Doctor said:
.... But did I not say... "EQUAL PARTS"
Read Again... HUMmmmm?

What Am I Talking About.... To Use... OR, Not To Use... That is the question!

A late, Great Pitmaster once said to me... Boy Your Doing That All Wrong.
He was talking about the black pepper I used in my rub... When I asked him, "why he said that" his reply sent me for a loop.
He said, When you blend spices always go after the taste your looking for, but balance is the key and when you have a mix of spices, "ALWAYS KEEP THEM EVEN!" If you want one to stand out more then the others use more of that spice.
You want it to have a strong black pepper flavor, use twice as much black pepper. If you want a ginger flavor, use twice as much ginger, the trick in any rub is always using the combination of spices to intensify the perception, not to confuse the taste buds!

When he stood over me, and watched me mix my rub, he saw that I had used a quarter of the black pepper to every other spice I used. Thats when he said, "Boy Your Doing That All Wrong" and ever since he told me what I just told you, I have always used a 1 to 1 mix "EQUAL PARTS" of the spices in my rubs except for the flavor's I want to stand out.

So to say; warning....when you multiply a recipe using dry ingredients, and pepper is one of them,
you are going to get exponentially hotter as the recipe is increased
.... IS WRONG!
NO MATTER HOW BIG A MIX OF SPICES IS... 1 Cup - 4 Cups or 10 Cups if you have "EQUAL PARTS OF EACH SPICE" is not going to make the rub any hotter! Now if you have a MIX OF SPICES that throw heat (Ancho, Cayenne, Guajillo Habanero Peppers or Seeds) has the unique ability to slap our senses and taste buds into drowning out the other flavors used in the mix of spices and you have exponentially hotter taste, ie: Scoville Scale. :roll:

So Does That Clear Up The Problem :)

Wow that was impressive. I nominate you to be the head spice guru of this place. You got any knee pads? wink wink.

bigwheel

Here is a Jerk marinade I like alot
1 1/2 tblsp ground allspice
1 1/2 tblsp dried thyme
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tblsp ground black pepper
1 tblsp dried sage
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tblsp salt
1 1/2 tblsp garlic powder
1 1/3 tblsp sugar
6 tblsp oil
6 tblsp soy sauce
1 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup orange juice
3 tblsp lime juice
1 scotch bonnet with seeds
1 onion finely chopped
1/3 cup chopped spring onions
1 tblsp chopped garlic
1 chicken cut into pieces or 4-6 chicken breasts (stab the meat several times to help absorb the marinade)
a add more peppers

Well that sounds good thanks for sharing. I would man up and use at least a couple mo peppas. I had a paste type wet rub recipe one time which called for six of which I was chicken and only used two. Toddler grand chillins was eating it with no problem as it come off the fire. Next time I will use at least 3. I would like to find that paste recipe again sometime. Know it was based on a big bunch of fresh parsley and used olive oyl soy sauce garlic and habs and a little allspice and you run it through a food processor. Wowser it was a killer. Thinking maybe it also had some fresh squeezed lime juice in it too.

bigwheel

What Am I Talking About.... To Use... OR, Not To Use... That is the question!

A late, Great Pitmaster once said to me... Boy Your Doing That All Wrong.
He was talking about the black pepper I used in my rub... When I asked him, "why he said that" his reply sent me for a loop.
He said, When you blend spices always go after the taste your looking for, but balance is the key and when you have a mix of spices, "ALWAYS KEEP THEM EVEN!" If you want one to stand out more then the others use more of that spice.
You want it to have a strong black pepper flavor, use twice as much black pepper. If you want a ginger flavor, use twice as much ginger, the trick in any rub is always using the combination of spices to intensify the perception, not to confuse the taste buds!

When he stood over me, and watched me mix my rub, he saw that I had used a quarter of the black pepper to every other spice I used. Thats when he said, "Boy Your Doing That All Wrong" and ever since he told me what I just told you, I have always used a 1 to 1 mix "EQUAL PARTS" of the spices in my rubs except for the flavor's I want to stand out.

So to say; warning....when you multiply a recipe using dry ingredients, and pepper is one of them,
you are going to get exponentially hotter as the recipe is increased
.... IS WRONG!
NO MATTER HOW BIG A MIX OF SPICES IS... 1 Cup - 4 Cups or 10 Cups if you have "EQUAL PARTS OF EACH SPICE" is not going to make the rub any hotter! Now if you have a MIX OF SPICES that throw heat (Ancho, Cayenne, Guajillo Habanero Peppers or Seeds) has the unique ability to slap our senses and taste buds into drowning out the other flavors used in the mix of spices and you have exponentially hotter taste, ie: Scoville Scale. :roll:

So Does That Clear Up The Problem :)
Seems like good advice to me. I am new to making rubs, but if you pay attention to most of the recipes out there they tend to follow this. But, people try to over complicate them with long ingredient lists and altering too many amounts for different things. Almost all rubs use the same spices and seasonings. Many of the ones that I think have “too much stuff” actually have things in there that you won’t even taste.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom