Kpig's Dry BBQ Rub and Basting Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
Dry Rub
8 parts Paprika (sweet hungarian is best)
4 parts Season All
4 parts Garlic Powder
2 parts Chili Powder
2 parts Dry Mustard
2 parts Ground Oregano
1 part Black Pepper
1 part Cayenne Pepper
1 part Coarse Ground Pepper

Mix together in empty spice bottle. Sprinkle liberally on ribs (or shoulder) and rub in. Let meat sit in refrigerator overnite. Let meat come back to room temp before putting on the grill. Smoke over slow charcoal fire (225-250 degrees) (indirect heat) 4 to 6 hours, using soaked hickory chunks for the first 3 hours. Baste with basting sauce every 15-20 minutes the last 2 hours. Ribs should be done when 1/2" to 3/4" of the bones are exposed where the meat has shrunk up from the tips. Sprinkle with additional Rub before serving.
Spareribs are best, although baby backs are fine. If doing spareribs, 3 ½ downs (3 ½ lbs or less per slab) are best.
If doing a shoulder, follow same guidelines, but cook for about 1 hour per pound. Keep smoke going for 2 or 3 extra hours. Shoulder is done when you can grab the bone, twist it, and pull it right out.
Remember.......Patience!

Basting Sauce
2 Tbsp Dry Seasonings
1 qt or 2 cans Beer (Coors Light :^)
1 bottle Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 bottle(Lg) Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 to 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp Tabasco Sauce
1 Bay Leaf

Mix together in a saucepan and heat up on stove. Use to baste meat the last 2-3 hours of cooking time to keep meat moist.

Finney said:
Bruce B said:
How big is a "part"?
If this is a serious question (and I have my doubts)... A part is what ever measurement you want it to be. 8-[
If you want one part to be one cup... that's what it is.
If you want one part to be four pounds... that's what it is. :!:
I was gonna answer that question but I just knows Brucie is just messin' around... 8-[

The Joker said:
Finney said:
[quote="Bruce B":1ubntjen]How big is a "part"?
If this is a serious question (and I have my doubts)... A part is what ever measurement you want it to be. 8-[
If you want one part to be one cup... that's what it is.
If you want one part to be four pounds... that's what it is. :!:
I was gonna answer that question but I just knows Brucie is just messin' around... 8-[[/quote:1ubntjen]
We're all hoping. :)

1.gif

Basting Sauce

Greg, I printed up your receipes for rub and basting sauce.. but would it be o.k. to substitute 'Genny Cream Ale' for Coor Light?

Regards,

Galileo

Basting Sauce

You got it right , kpigout, Genny Cream is a heavy lager style ale, vs. a light variety beer.

Galileo

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom