Your Ultimate Comfort Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unity said:
Funny thing is (I realized after thinking about my list), none of my "comfort foods" goes back to when I was a kid, only to my 47 years of married life, during which I've done 90-95% of the cooking. Meals in the house where I grew up were not memorable, merely functional.

--John
(Besides salt and pepper, cinnamon and vanilla extract were just about the only spices in the cupboard.)
John you hit that one on the head! Wow! :shock:

bigwheel said:
Well we have as least two sensible folks on here. I would pick a hearty beef stew/soup or Stoup as me and Rachel Ray calls it when we are alone. That be a cross twixt stew and soup for anybody who dont know any good TV shows to watch. Course got to have Pintos..cornbread with real cow butter and raw onyawns on the side. Pass the Sirriachi sauce at the table. Glad our cold snap finally broke or I would be making this today. Now whut is a crock pot? I cook my Stoup in a manly man huge high dollar All Clad brand stew pot with the waffered up bottom. Now you talk about a Stoup/Gumbo/Chili/CD/dirty rice cooking moochine. Make you chunk rocks at a crock pot..gag heave sputter. You cant brown the meat in one of them goofy thangs. The Lord gave them to us to keep stuff warm in the serving line at the church social. Now I dont need cold weather to make me crave chicken n dumplings...all it takes is to check my pulse. If I got one I want some:)

bigwheel

swampsauce said:
A big bowl of veggie beef soup that has been in the crock pot all day, and a big hunk of corn bread.
Yum Yum

A crock pot is us working folk use to make really good soup!! :P

Chicken fried steak with country gravy, green beans, mashed taters and gravy, corn bread, and iced tea. Desert is German chocolate cake with glass of whole milk.

Well I feel your pain but would encourage you to keep up the good hard work. That is how I got my start:) I got a big old roaster which will do a fair imitation of a crock pot if you turn it down low. When I got it there was all these good intentions of loading it up each AM and coming home to a hot supper. That lasted about twice then it got to be too much trouble. Then the Warden get to naggin there aint no place to put it..blah blah blah. It been sitting out in the camper for about 5 yrs. now. I drag it out for special occasions..sorta like the KA mixer. Ya know you turn that puppy up to full blast it can scorch your meat to give it a flavorful head start. Something about putting raw meat down into liquid just dont sound normal to me. Now guess it could suffice unscathed for soup..but for Stoup them little crusty brown bits is your pals.

bigwheel

>A crock pot is us working folk use to make really good soup!!

This sounds somewhut like whut is called a "Sul Ross Sundae." It's a big comfort food for them folks who inhabit the area around Alpine, TX. You just put fried tates on a plate cover them with cream gravy and a copious amount of black peppa then make a delicate lattice work of ketchup on top. Yum yum.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom