would you buy this for $275

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
I found this for sale do you guys think it is worth 275 or should I wait till I can find a better price or even a better unit?

note the crack in this pic

thanks
Chris

Finny that is a Imperial Kamado from japan.Thanks for the tip for the one for sale but I am located in southeastern PA. Also this my be a stupid question but in some of the pics you guys post of green eggs and promos there seem to be some type of plates/fire bricks between where the food goes and the the fire box. What are those for since I do not see them on here.

Thanks
Chris

It is indeed an Imperial Komado. I have one. They list for around six bills new. The crack is in the firebox, not a big deal as it will still work. Not as great as a BGE or Primo as they are earthen ware and not ceramic but the they do just fine on Low and slow. Got a pic of mine in the gallery (link in the signature line) under Colorado. The Imperial link can be found there also.

Offer 2 bills and you should be happy.

Edit:
Link to the gallery here http://www.ncre.biz/DATsBBQ/Pitgallery/pgm.html

I guess I should have enlaged the picture... Says what it is right on it. :oops:

Do they have the top cap that goes on it?

I'm with DATs (never thought I'd say that)... offer them $200 (if you think you want it). Or just wait around for something else to come along.

If you can find a 'true' ceramic you'll be better off.

People do use fire bricks inside their cookers to cook indirect. Primo actually makes "D" plates to go in their Oval cooks for the same thing.

Finney said:
I guess I should have enlaged the picture... Says what it is right on it. :oops:

Do they have the top cap that goes on it?

I'm with DATs (never thought I'd say that)... offer them $200 (if you think you want it). Or just wait around for something else to come along.

If you can find a 'true' ceramic you'll be better off.

People do use fire bricks inside their cookers to cook indirect. Primo actually makes "D" plates to go in their Oval cooks for the same thing.

Image of cap (available as replacement parts)
Oldegg5.jpg

Made out of Aluminum

Not to be a smart A$$ but why is ceramic better than earth wear? I just do not know that much about these types of smokers.

Thanks
Chris

chris1237 said:
Not to be a smart A$$ but why is ceramic better than earth wear? I just do not know that much about these types of smokers.

Thanks
Chris

Higher temps safely possible with ceramic. Take an Imperial above 400* and there is a good chance the shell could crack in two. The folks on the Imperial Website do say if that happens, just glue it back together.

Depending on the year made (think WW2), it could be worth a pretty penny.

Thanks for the help guys. I decided to hold off until something ceramic comes along since I was also hoping to use it for a grill.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom