Wood fence.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
Okay since getting nagged at for few years I decided to let this excellent handy man pal o mine to build me a wood privacy fence to stretch along the street side of the house. Got most of it built as we speak. He built the fence panels from scratch using treated slats and posts but untreated runners. I guess he caught the untreated version on sale or something. Anyway I used to have a pal who while living at Jouston claimed to have made some good side money by squirting wood privacy fences down with used Automatic Transmission fluid. He claim it preserve it forever..make it look like Redwood..kill the grass underneath you dont have to weed eat..blah blah blah. Everybody I have talked to has said dont do it..use Thompsons Water seal etc? Anybody got contrary opinyawns pro or con on this deal? Now just as an aside we had a group of Gypsies working this area a few years back who talked a bunch of yups into letting them squirt down their wood roofs with a magic elixir to preserve it forever. Turned out to be used motor oil and the Insurance Agents all went nuts said it was a fire hazard..made the folks re roof the house and such things. The Gypsies finally got caught and sent off to learn how make license plates.
Let me know. Thanks.

bigwheel

Great story. Gyps are pissers. :LOL: It's fine to cover your house with dry wood, but not oil. :LOL: :LOL: Guess I missed the fine line.
I don't have experience with tranny fluid on wood. It should work and you have first person experience with your buddy. I only used used motor oil on gravel drives to hold down dust. Stinky crap.

Thanks Rag. That old boy who told me to do it was real smart. He knew everything there was which was worth knowing. He could work on your car..build you a compooter..and sew you up a suit of new clothes. Just to touch the tip of the ice burg. He was not good at cleaning house. When his wife run off it broke his heart. She was apparently a good looking blonde. I seen partial eaten baloney sandwiches laying around his house which was at least 6 years old...which coincided eggxactly with when his wife run off. Did you ever read the story of Mrs. Haversham who got stood up on her wedding day? Same kinda deal I think.

bigwheel

I live in the heart of the wood industry and these guys say dont't use Thompson's. Waste of money they say. Most of them recomend TWP. I've used it for several years with good results. It is expensive in my book. Here is a link to it. twp500.com

My guess would be that any oil based product is going to soak into the dry wood and make it look " wet " for some time.

I don't think TF is going to preserve your fence any longer than any other product.

They all need to be re-applied after a few years IMO.

'round here people used diesel fuel on their fences and houses. Looks really good. Now that was when diesel was 2 bucks a gallon also. The oil in the fuel makes it purdy.

Thanks folks going to Goggle up TWP500 as we speak. Hey JB cant use them hurricane fences around the cement pond in case some nekked ladies want to come over and swim. They like the non see through models.

bigwheel

If your pal would have used treated runners you wouldn't have the need to squirt your fence. Treated wood will out live most folks I know.
I put up a fence 5 yrs. ago with all treated lumber. Never put a drop of anything on it.

been using thompsons for years, 15 year old deck still looks brand new. Personally, I wouldn't use ATF. What if you lean on it?

bigwheel said:
Thanks folks going to Goggle up TWP500 as we speak. Hey JB cant use them hurricane fences around the cement pond in case some nekked ladies want to come over and swim. They like the non see through models.

bigwheel

Bigwheel, after seeing pictures of you, if you have nekked laides in your pool, I'm sure your neighbors are glad the fence isn't see through! :shock: :LOL:
8.gif

Anything oil based will shed water and help preserve wood longer, but ya have to re-apply it now and then. Diesel, kerosene, used oil will work, but you have to think about environmental effects also.

Thank you Damar!
BW you don't want your Granchillins' sproutin' another eye do ya'?

I remember as a youngster my Granpa' pouring used motor oil on the gravel driveway to kill the weeds. :shock:

Thanks folks. Now just cuz I am fat and ugly dont mean I got fat ugly nekked wimmen in my cement pond.

bigwheel

You go dude! What is wrong with ugly women anyway??? And who gets to decide which of them are ugly?? I say put up the hurricane fence and give me your address. :LOL:

Did you know they also use the TF to tan snake hides to make a belt or hat band.

My 2 cents is to buy the cheapest water seal product and apply it more often. You will still come out ahead in the long run.

I thought you'd be more slim and trim bein' a "vegan at heart" ;)
As far as the ugly part......I am at a loss right now..........

bigwheel said:
Thanks folks. Now just cuz I am fat and ugly dont mean I got fat ugly nekked wimmen in my cement pond.

bigwheel

Well depends on compared to whut. Next a Walrus I am purty skinny. Thanks for the tip Ron.

bigwheel

Puff said:
I thought you'd be more slim and trim bein' a "vegan at heart" ;)
As far as the ugly part......I am at a loss right now..........

bigwheel said:

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom