What Maverick do you suggest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
I have the ET-72 model. It only has one probe though... any help is greatly appreciated..
Is this the one most of yall use? if so, what would you give for it? Cash wise only please....
ET-7_maverick.jpg

$$,

Larry has the cheapest price I've seen on a brand new ET-73, don't know if he price matches, but if you found it cheaper somewhere,you could give him a chance or just go for it.

Bruce B said:
$$,

Larry has the cheapest price I've seen on a brand new ET-73, don't know if he price matches, but if you found it cheaper somewhere,you could give him a chance or just go for it.
You are right Bruce... He has really marked it down. I'm going to get it right now.... Thanks,,. :D

I got a ET 73 Too SS. The 72 will be helpful also when tou smoke more than one hunk of meat at a time

ET-73

You're best off buying from someone you know. ET-73s sometimes ship with problems and Maverick can occasionally be difficult to get a response out of. They're usually great, but it never huts to have a friend.

The unit you've pictured is the ET-7. It's not as well weather sealed, it makes suggestions, and the alarms aren't as useful. BOS is a big fan. Ask JB to explain to you what his endorsement means. I don't want to get involved.

The rap on the ET-73:

Maverick ships the odd bad batch. They replace immediately and without questions -- if you can get their attention.

Because of the way the multiplex handshake is programmed, to establish communication between the base and the remote, they have to be turned on at the same time -- within a minute or so of one another. That means if you turn one off, you have to reset the pair. Additionally, if the signal is lost you usually have to reset the pair (but there is a work around if the signal isn't lost for too long).

Mavericks do not interfere with one another. If you're using two or three or four or are at a comp, you're cool. NP.

The base unit is meant to stay outside, and the works are hidden behind an o-ring sealed cover to protect them from weather. This means, the cover has to be removed to turn the unit on. Some people find this irritating. I don't.

The overall appearance and tactile quality of the Maverick is "cheap toy."

Probes are fragile. You have to be careful in how you handle the leads, not smashing the pit door on them. You also have to be careful about how you clean them. Don't let water get in the aluminum probe housing, or it will short the thermocouple leads. I clean with a damp Scotchbrite pad, taking the strain off the lead/probe connection.

There are two competitive units. One is the Maverick ET-7, already discussed, and not as good. Just put it right out of your skull. The other is the NU 701/751.

The NU is a better built unit, and has more range. The remote can handle up to three probes. Each probe has its own base unit. The unit comes with one probe, so if you want a pit probe or a second meat probe, the cost adds up quickly. NUs are typically a lot more expensive than Mavericks, a two probe setup is usually a bit more than double the cost of the Mav. The NU probe doesn't take abuse as well as the Mav -- and the Mav is fragile. I don't know how NU handles frequencies and multiplexing, and I'm pretty sure NU doesn't either. NUs compete with one another for the same frequencies. If you're thinking about multiple units or competition, don't.

The next step up -- a huge one -- are the remotes that go along with Vipers and Stokers.

Bottom line: The ET-73 is the best value anywhere near a reasonable price. I'm on my third season with my first (and only) and it's fine -- other than damage I did to the case by overtorquing the latch. They're all over the net for $40. I'd go $50 to buy from a friend. I'd also go $50 easy to know that return/replace would be handled same day, no problem.

Hope this helps,
Rich

boar_d_laze said:
ET-73

You're best off buying from someone you know. ET-73s sometimes ship with problems and Maverick can occasionally be difficult to get a response out of. They're usually great, but it never huts to have a friend.

The unit you've pictured is the ET-7. It's not as well weather sealed, it makes suggestions, and the alarms aren't as useful. BOS is a big fan. Ask JB to explain to you what his endorsement means. I don't want to get involved.

The rap on the ET-73:

Maverick ships the odd bad batch. They replace immediately and without questions -- if you can get their attention.

Because of the way the multiplex handshake is programmed, to establish communication between the base and the remote, they have to be turned on at the same time -- within a minute or so of one another. That means if you turn one off, you have to reset the pair. Additionally, if the signal is lost you usually have to reset the pair (but there is a work around if the signal isn't lost for too long).

Mavericks do not interfere with one another. If you're using two or three or four or are at a comp, you're cool. NP.

The base unit is meant to stay outside, and the works are hidden behind an o-ring sealed cover to protect them from weather. This means, the cover has to be removed to turn the unit on. Some people find this irritating. I don't.

The overall appearance and tactile quality of the Maverick is "cheap toy."

Probes are fragile. You have to be careful in how you handle the leads, not smashing the pit door on them. You also have to be careful about how you clean them. Don't let water get in the aluminum probe housing, or it will short the thermocouple leads. I clean with a damp Scotchbrite pad, taking the strain off the lead/probe connection.

There are two competitive units. One is the Maverick ET-7, already discussed, and not as good. Just put it right out of your skull. The other is the NU 701/751.

The NU is a better built unit, and has more range. The remote can handle up to three probes. Each probe has its own base unit. The unit comes with one probe, so if you want a pit probe or a second meat probe, the cost adds up quickly. NUs are typically a lot more expensive than Mavericks, a two probe setup is usually a bit more than double the cost of the Mav. The NU probe doesn't take abuse as well as the Mav -- and the Mav is fragile. I don't know how NU handles frequencies and multiplexing, and I'm pretty sure NU doesn't either. NUs compete with one another for the same frequencies. If you're thinking about multiple units or competition, don't.

Bottom line: The Mav is the best for the price. I'm on my third season with my first and it's fine -- other than damage I did to the case by overtorquing the latch.

Hope this helps,
Rich
Wow. You just wrote all of that? Man I wish I knew you back in high school english class...Your cool dude!! And yes, it really helped alot.. Can you tell me about the BBQ GURU too?

A Guru is a fan driven "bellows" that mounts on the intake of your firebox and control the air supply to the fire. The units have a chamber probe which relays information to the brain, so the fan cycles on/off faster/slower to keep a constant, set temp in the chamber.

You definitely want this for catering and competition. I'm not sure if it would add or detract from the backyard experience. Nice to have though, if you need to make a run to the liq for ... um ... ice.

Guru's most basic model monitors chamber temperature only, but you can ascend the product line with the magic of "cash," and gets you to multi-probe wireless. IIRC, this puts you in the $600 neighborhood.

The Stoker is much the same thing, with more geekitude. The base has an ethernet port, which is how you take it wireless or network.

Rich

boar_d_laze said:
A Guru is a fan driven "bellows" that mounts on the intake of your firebox and control the air supply to the fire. The units have a chamber probe which relays information to the brain, so the fan cycles on/off faster/slower to keep a constant, set temp in the chamber.

You definitely want this for catering and competition. I'm not sure if it would add or detract from the backyard experience. Nice to have though, if you need to make a run to the liq for ... um ... ice.

Guru's most basic model monitors chamber temperature only, but you can ascend the product line with the magic of "cash," and gets you to multi-probe wireless. IIRC, this puts you in the $600 neighborhood.

The Stoker is much the same thing, with more geekitude. The base has an ethernet port, which is how you take it wireless or network.

Rich
Ok, thanks Rich... that's very interesting information you have shared.. I appreciate it alot... :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom