What is comp BBQ cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich Decker

Senior Cook
This topic often comes up, is comp cooking a sport and are comp cooks athletes.

I always vote no. To be a sport you need athletes and to be an athlete (as a cook) you need to make an athletic move. Sure it takes stamina but BBQ cooks aren't athletes.

Golfers make athletic moves and are athletes as are bowlers.

Race care drivers aren't. They require stamina and it's daring but there isn't an athletic move.

I think you need to be in shape to be an athlete.

Round is a shape.

Therefore since I am round, round is a shape I am an athlete :)

I would say comp cooking is a skill...but the people who participate in them ARE NOT athletes!!! I imagine, if you take a scan of the group, most are fat and getting old.

If you look at a baseball, basketball or a soccer team, all of them are in world class physical shape...ALL OF THEM!

So, BBQ comps are a skill and not a sport...like golf!

Greg Rempe said:
I would say comp cooking is a skill...but the people who participate in them ARE NOT athletes!!! I imagine, if you take a scan of the group, most are fat and getting old.

If you look at a baseball, basketball or a soccer team, all of them are in world class physical shape...ALL OF THEM!

So, BBQ comps are a skill and not a sport...like golf!

Greg, you're getting old too...get use to it.

Definitions
Athlete: Any person who participates in a sporting event.
Sporting event: An activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

By definition BBQers are athletes.

Rockin Rooster said:
Definitions
Athlete: Any person who participates in a sporting event.
Sporting event: An activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

By definition BBQers are athletes.

10.gif

Why?? Because fat guys what to say that they are athletes!! :LOL:

BTW...this will be a question I add to my podcast list of standards...nice! 8)

Greg Rempe said:
Why?? Because fat guys what to say that they are athletes!! :LOL:

Fat guys want to say they're athletes and some people want to say they are radio personalities.... :roll:

Bruce B said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":nhq0l1ps]Why?? Because fat guys what to say that they are athletes!! :LOL:

Fat guys want to say they're athletes and some people want to say they are radio personalities.... :roll:[/quote:nhq0l1ps]

Bruce, that is no way to talk about Jim Morgan... :shock:

Were Boog Powell and Babe Ruth athletes? Definitely nowhere to be found in base stealing statistics. But they had power.

Baseball has the most out of shape athletes (especially the pitchers) of all the professional sports. You can even have someone run or hit for you as well. These guys are BBQ athletes in training. :D

Dallas, you are incorrect!

PS, Babe Ruth was also a great pitcher aside from being a great hitter. And BBQ comps weren't even around in those days so you can't compare the two.

Pinch runners are used in certain situations and not all the time. I would bet the most "out of shape" baseball player could run circles around you.

Baseball players the most out of shape...laughabale!

I don't actually see where it matters if you call a BBQer an athlete or not. [smilie=a_hrm.gif] If you use the Webster definitions they are [smilie=icon_deal.gif] . If you use what the general consensus of what an athlete should be, then there are many sports teams that have positions without athletes playing the position, and many other sports that have very few athletes at all competing in them. Would you say former MLB pitcher Fernando Valenzuela wasn't an athlete? He looked like he would fit in real good behind a BBQ pit.
I have a question to ask those of you who are so adamant about this, why do you wish to say BBQers are not athletes? [smilie=nonono.gif]
What are the requirements for an individual to be considered an athlete?
Personally, I couldn't care less weather I'm considered an athlete or not, but I am concerned as to why it is so strongly argued against.

To me, a sport requires physical ability...

I think BBQ is a skill for sure (like golf or archery or curling or marksmanship)...but it doesn't require any real physical skill to do or to be great at.

Just to be clear, I could care less...but it's fun to talk about! :D

Greg Rempe said:

I think BBQ is a skill for sure (like golf or archery or curling or marksmanship)...but it doesn't require any real physical skill to do or to be great at.

Honestly I just like to stir the pot sometimes. :twisted:

Greg Rempe said:

I'd challenge Manny Ramirez in a race from home plate to first base any day of the week Rempe. Glad to see that lazy mofo leave Cleveland. Read my post again. Do you really think baseball players are in better shape than basketball and soccer players? I think not.

If you read my post again you'll see that I was using the Babe and Boog as examples of how you can be out of shape and still be an athlete...........thus the link to BBQ athletes! Hell Babe, could scarf down six or seven hot dogs betwween innings along with a few beers. I think he'd fit right in with today's BBQ'n athletes! ROFL! :D

Back
Top Bottom