What Is A Billion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
Just got this in an email. Don't know if it's true but it was pretty interesting.

What Is A Billion?

The next time you hear a politician use the word "billion" in a casual
manner, think about whether you want the "politicians" spending your tax
money.

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising
agency
did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its
releases.

a. A billion seconds ago it was 1959.
B. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.
c. A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.
d. A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.
e. A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate
our government is spending it.

While this thought is still fresh in our brain, let's take a look at New Orleans. It's
amazing what you can learn with some simple division .

Louisiana Senator, Mary Landrieu (D), is presently asking the Congress
for $250 BILLION to rebuild New Orleans. Interesting number, what does it
mean?
a. Well, if you are one of 484,674 residents of New Orleans (every man,
woman, child), you each get $516,528.
b. Or, if you have one of the 188,251 homes in New Orleans, your home
gets $1 , 329,787.
c. Or, if you are a family of four, your family gets $2,066,012.

Well, 99% of the time I would agree with you wdroller, but I don't remember hearing about where you live being hit by a CAT4 hurricane and being flooded. In that instance, with a declaration of a federal disaster area, it is the fed's job to help.

In normal circumstances it is the local govt. job to build schools, police departments, roads, hospitals, etc.

$1,000,000,000 250 of these.

Also, you must remember, only a fraction of those living in N.O. actually lost their homes. Politicians are scum. They'll take every penny and waste it!

Bruce B said:
Well, 99% of the time I would agree with you wdroller, but I don't remember hearing about where you live being hit by a CAT4 hurricane and being flooded. In that instance, with a declaration of a federal disaster area, it is the fed's job to help.

In normal circumstances it is the local govt. job to build schools, police departments, roads, hospitals, etc.

In 2004 we were hit by three hurricanes in a row, did over six million dollars to the resort property I manage. Never got a penny from the feds.

wdroller said:
Bruce B said:

It is wise to live above sea level.

Amen brother. Smartest thing anybody ever said about New Orleans!

You got a lot bigger problems than the federal government! Start with the most incompetant mayor in the history of civilization and add Ms. Landrieu for starters. As Bill Clinton once said, "I feel your pain".

wdroller said:
Kloset BBQR said:
You got a lot bigger problems than the federal government! Start with the most incompetant mayor in the history of civilization and add Ms. Landrieu for starters. As Bill Clinton once said, "I feel your pain".

I'm not living in LA. But, we did elect an incompetant city mayor to be governor of our state. Why would we elevate a man with a six year record of failure and broken promises to the governorship, you ask. Ah-h-h. Stupidity.

The gene pool could use a little chlorine 8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom