Well worth the effort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
Got the first big tomato harvest from my garden over the past 2 days. Picked about a bushel - mostly paste tomatoes and turned them into juice today. We use our complicated, super secret recipe - one tsp canning salt, one qt tomato juice. Here's half of them in the sink after washing
img_195461_0_bc46985c083c650843dd98d529946d8b.jpg

And here's the first run of juice
img_195461_1_f50000dea76d36e8462ce15781fcc852.jpg

The two jars with white rings are an experiment (lots of water showing). We use the pressure canner (background) because it's much faster than the water bath canner.

Dang yall obviously got two green thumbs each and some knowledge and equipment most folks are lacking. Great job. Now I woulda ate them maters raw till they was fixing to die and go to heaven then do the canning thang. Among the multitude of gifts the Lord gave us...a BLT with real mayo and home growed maters got to rank near the top. :D

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Dang yall obviously got two green thumbs each and some knowledge and equipment most folks are lacking. Great job. Now I woulda ate them maters raw till they was fixing to die and go to heaven then do the canning thang. Among the multitude of gifts the Lord gave us...a BLT with real mayo and home growed maters got to rank near the top. :D

bigwheel
I've been eating the big ones raw for almost every meal. We grow the paste maters exclusively for canning, sauces, salsa, etc as they have a much higher pulp to water amount.
All done now - 18 qts total

Canning is fun? Whut you been smokin Boy? I know some folks who would take two bags sight unseen:) Let us interject some reality into the situation. No it aint fun. It about as fun making sausage or reloading bullets...which means it aint no fun at all...but the end result is hopefully worth the pain in the booty which it takes to do it. Simple huh?

bigwheel

[

Ok gotcha on the pulp vs water deal. Watched a TV show about it one day guess it was on the Food Channel maybe..whereas the fella was saying Romas was the best mater for sauces and such for the very reason you mention. Now is this hot or warmish? Out of date etc?

bigwheel

big dude said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel
I've been eating the big ones raw for almost every meal. We grow the paste maters exclusively for canning, sauces, salsa, etc as they have a much higher pulp to water amount.

Canning is great. I might get back into making my chile pequin hot sauce. You have great mater sauce! :D

bigwheel said:
Ok gotcha on the pulp vs water deal. Watched a TV show about it one day guess it was on the Food Channel maybe..whereas the fella was saying Romas was the best mater for sauces and such for the very reason you mention. Now is this hot or warmish? Out of date etc?

bigwheel

big dude said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel
You're right on with one minor adjustment - Roma is a culitvar but is used generically like "band aid". All Roma's are paste (sometimes called plumb) tomatoes, but not all paste maters are Roma's - mine are Kada and Quimbaya which I like because they are bigger, produce better for me and have a lower water amount.

Well I got mixed emotions on the chile pequins. Cant resist eating em and always enjoy bumping into their various incarnations of hotsauce but they have a funny flavor..or maybe mo betta lack of flavor or something that just hard to put a finger on it. To my edumacated pallette they just turn into being hotter than heck. Now around Austin they call em "river peppas" supposedly cuz thats where they like to grow in that part of the world. Now the po white local trash gringoes I knew around Corpus called them "pea peppas." Know they grow wild all over down there. My dearly deceased old Daddy worked in the oilfield down there and it was a big test of manhood to go scoop a handful of pequines off the bush..blow off the leaves and eat the whole handful. Takes a tough dude to do that. Make a grown man sweat and cry like that po fella yall was hazing on the beach to get indoctrinated into the fishing Club:)

bigwheel

surfinsapo said:
Canning is great. I might get back into making my chile pequin hot sauce. You have great mater sauce! :D

Looks good BD. My mom used to can all sorts of stuff but unfortunately it didn't carry over to me, guess I'll live vicariously through your pictures.

Great pics and some great product fer sure. I need some fun in my life, thinkin bout taking up canning.... :LOL: or, not.
Looks good from here tho!
dj

bigwheel said:
Canning is fun? Whut you been smokin Boy? I know some folks who would take two bags sight unseen:) Let us interject some reality into the situation. No it aint fun. It about as fun making sausage or reloading bullets...which means it aint no fun at all...but the end result is hopefully worth the pain in the booty which it takes to do it. Simple huh?

bigwheel

[
It is for the wife and me. Play a little grab a$$ in the kitchen, can a batch up. But you being from Texas have not a clue with no snow what it's like to get something out the cupboard when the snow is up to your butt and it's 0 out side. ;) :LOL:

Pigs

bigwheel said:
Well I got mixed emotions on the chile pequins. Cant resist eating em and always enjoy bumping into their various incarnations of hotsauce but they have a funny flavor..or maybe mo betta lack of flavor or something that just hard to put a finger on it. To my edumacated pallette they just turn into being hotter than heck. Now around Austin they call em "river peppas" supposedly cuz thats where they like to grow in that part of the world. Now the po white local trash gringoes I knew around Corpus called them "pea peppas." Know they grow wild all over down there. My dearly deceased old Daddy worked in the oilfield down there and it was a big test of manhood to go scoop a handful of pequines off the bush..blow off the leaves and eat the whole handful. Takes a tough dude to do that. Make a grown man sweat and cry like that po fella yall was hazing on the beach to get indoctrinated into the fishing Club:)

bigwheel

surfinsapo said:
I said it was fun to me pendejo. Not fun for you. I like taking walks too.. It is fun.. Can you still walk? Try to get out and enjoy life Jeff. ;)

GrabA$$ in the kithen do sound like fun amongst them tomatos. Definitly gettin more into as this thread goes along.... :LOL:
On a more serious note, we have family that cans lotsa stuff and are willing to share :D :D And, I can definitly relate to the snow up to my aSS and home canned goodies comin out of the pantry..Don't get a lot better in the winter.
dj

[[/quote]
It is for the wife and me. Play a little grab a$$ in the kitchen, can a batch up. But you being from Texas have not a clue with no snow what it's like to get something out the cupboard when the snow is up to your butt and it's 0 out side. ;) :LOL:

Pigs[/quote]

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
But you being from Texas have not a clue with no snow what it's like to get something out the cupboard when the snow is up to your butt and it's 0 out side. ;) :LOL:

Pigs

Excellent summary Pigs. Thanks. :LOL: :LOL:

Its worth the trouble, like Pigs said. In the winter you can make the best soups, stews, and chili too.

I lived in Maine for two years. They (or I) couldn't grow mattters there because the season was too short. No corn either.
I MOVED FROM THAT CRAPPY PLACE !!!
I love my summer toms.....raw, canned, frozen, fried, whatever.
You got a nice batch there, Big Dude.

Well I dont mind a little grab A$$ in the kitchen but would not want to do it while canning. Might wind up with a little something unsavory getting into the maters or pea peppas or whutever if you get my drift wink wink. Sorta like the proverbial turd in the punch bowl. And yeppers I can walk good. Now as far as running I'm mo of a quarter horse. 40 yards in a cloud of dust then stop to have a marlboro and rest for a min then do it again. That is how it is with dumb linemen.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom