Wanted some SOS and Homefries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john a

Executive Chef
Wanted SOS over home fries last night so I ran over to Publix to get some of the Stouffers frozen. Naturally, they did not have any so I settled for this instead.

img_81568_0_0332943405cb27a5caa0371598320491.jpg

Fried up some extra sausage to doctor up the canned stuff.

img_81568_1_311921376ee0c2feb2734f40f067fb33.jpg

img_81568_2_bd8d61acba0a9d5e64d5b311f3e0f833.jpg

While it was warming up I made the hash browns

img_81568_3_177ac4302341a094dc87a496f94c5035.jpg

A little onion

img_81568_4_73af03c629bb18088b2b7b9172f6016f.jpg

Dinner time

img_81568_5_7763b516020c5af7b35f83d6c17196db.jpg

img_81568_6_87abb8eb2a38b686ee943ee38f5a2e39.jpg

John, John, John................although that meal looks mighty tasty, [smilie=a_doh.gif] you have created the ultimate sin by using canned gravy!! That's as bad as Woodman using roux out of a jar!

I agree with Larry.....but in a pinch, the can will do. :D Doesn't look like the 'shingle' made it on the plate..... :LOL:

Larry Wolfe said:
John, John, John................although that meal looks mighty tasty, [smilie=a_doh.gif] you have created the ultimate sin by using canned gravy!! That's as bad as Woodman using roux out of a jar!

Almost as bad as those packets :LOL: But is does look good.

Yep. knew I would catch crap about the canned gravy. Wife is away for a couple of days and I just do not have the "touch" with gravy. I figured the canned stuff had to be at least as good as mine and a lot easier. Surprise, surprise, with the added sausage and over homefries with onions it was pretty damn good.

Larry Wolfe said:
John if I were cooking for just me, I'd do the same thing!! Sorry bout the hard time!! :D

LOL,

Larry,

That was not a hard time, I was not pissing & moaning. Sorry if I came across that way. :D

oct_97 said:
Yep. knew I would catch crap about the canned gravy. Wife is away for a couple of days and I just do not have the "touch" with gravy. I figured the canned stuff had to be at least as good as mine and a lot easier. Surprise, surprise, with the added sausage and over homefries with onions it was pretty damn good.
And there you have it ;)

john pen said:
So, going back to to "the day"..what exactly was sh*t on a shingle ?

Chipped beef w/gravy on toast in the Marines. I hear that the less empowered branches of the military used ground beef :roll: ;) :LOL:

DATsBBQ said:
john pen said:
So, going back to to "the day"..what exactly was sh*t on a shingle ?

Chipped beef w/gravy on toast in the Marines. I hear that the less empowered branches of the military used ground beef :roll: ;) :LOL:

Like Dat's said. The sh*t was the chipped beef and gravy and the shingle was the toast. That's what my dad told me (he was a marine)

john pen said:
thanks..guess Ill go google chipped beef...lol

I get the kind Hormell makes. It comes in a kinda black package in with the packed deli meats (oscar meyer, etc) at the grocery store. Some people use that Carl Buddig sh*t beef, it's not the same.

It's like wafered dried beef. Good stuff, just make your gravy, cut up the beef in squares, throw in gravy and then top on toasted bread, I like to use grands biscuits, MMMMM MMMMM :P

I saw a lot of recipes for creamed beef when I googled chipped beef..

Chipped Beef

1910 Manual for Army Cooks
Recipe no. 251

Yield: 60 men
Portion: not given

INGREDIENTS WEIGHTS MEASURES
Chipped beef 15 lb ---
Fat, butter preferred
Flour, browned in fat 1 lb
1-1/4 lb ---
---
Evaporated milk, 12 oz can
Parsley
Pepper ---
---
1/4 oz 2 cans
1 bunch
---
Beef stock --- 6 qt

Method:

Melt the fat in the pan, and add the flour; when it has been cooked a few minutes, add the milk, dissolved in the beef stock, or water. Stir the batter in slowly to prevent lumping, and then add the beef. Cook a few minutes, add the parsley, and serve on toast.

Notes:

If the beef is very salty, it should be scalded before cooking.

Back
Top Bottom