TURKEY FRYER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think mords had one of those and he said it didn't work to well. He tryed it indoors and it smoked the $hit out of the place and when he used it outside it wouldn't get the oil up to temp. BTW, where is mords? Anybody see or hear from him?

I have fried several turkeys and one recipe that we like is simple. Equal parts of garlic powder, black pepper, kosher salt. Stole this from Paula D from the food network. Makes a really tasty skin.

bigwheel said:
Well since you obviously a hard headed Kansas farmboy who aint gonna listen to reason...go buy the cheapest turkey gizmo they got at Academy Sports. They usually get down to 25 bucks or so. Go to Sams and buy the Creamy Heavy Duty frying oil from them. The peanut oil is utter nonsense invented for the purpose of parting dumb yups from their Platinum Visor Cards. Fry till your grease gets dirty then have your mama in law dig a hole and bury the used grease in the backyard. Thats how I always done it. Hope this helps. If you just got eat them nasty critters..they much mo betta smoked than fried. Actually they betta slow grilled over mesquite coals. Dont even get me started on that subject or speaking of Rotesseses. They expecting you at Academy.

bigwheel

MBFB
That is good advise, I won't buy peanut oil either(get's just as dirty as Creamy HD Fry oil does and needs to discarded for half the money).

Larry you posted that you need to measure with water the level of oil by placing in the bird in the pot with plastic still on the bird, I find that method means I would have add oil to get it above the top of the bird while cooking. Remove the plastic, place bird in the pot and fill with water until it is just above the bird. Remove the bird from the pot, the water level with the bird removed gives you the correct level for the oil.

Me thinks there is some other motivation here other than BW responces to this thread, but what the hell do I know.

Jim

not to be ignorant..but what does the plastic on the bird have to do with needing more oil?...I do it the way you do Jim....I can't see how the plastic makes a difference...and this thread was locked this am...if memory serves

jminion said:
bigwheel said:
Larry you posted that you need to measure with water the level of oil by placing in the bird in the pot with plastic still on the bird, I find that method means I would have add oil to get it above the top of the bird while cooking. Remove the plastic, place bird in the pot and fill with water until it is just above the bird. Remove the bird from the pot, the water level with the bird removed gives you the correct level for the oil.

Jim

Jim,
I'm assuming you're saying you'd have to add more oil due to the space in the cavity of the bird?? Hasn't been the case with the handful of turkeys I've done. Never had to add any additional oil to the pot in the ones I've done.

Larry Wolfe said:
jminion said:
bigwheel said:

Jim

Jim,
I'm assuming you're saying you'd have to add more oil due to the space in the cavity of the bird?? Hasn't been the case with the handful of turkeys I've done. Never had to add any additional oil to the pot in the ones I've done.
The cavity shouldn't be an issue...cuz it's empty...it's the weight of the bird.....just thinking out loud here...

If the Plastic is still sealed then it displaces the water and you can not fill the cavity, with very small birds it may not make a difference but as you get to bigger birds it would have to greatly effect the fill level.

Jim

wittdog said:
I say you should fry the picinic....

Umm.........I hate to admit it but I did fry a butt one time...............................looked like an asteroid when I pulled it out.

Larry Wolfe said:
wittdog said:
I say you should fry the picinic....

Umm.........I hate to admit it but I did fry a butt one time...............................looked like an asteroid when I pulled it out.
Yeah but how did it taste?......Like ASS.... :shock: :D :D :D :D(that's not a knock on your cooking skills just a play on words..)

Witt
Cause the cavity is empty is exactly why the measured level for the oil will change if it was measured with the plastic on, once the plastic is off the oil will then fill the void that was not present with the plastic on.

Larry and MBFB
As I said: Me thinks there is some other motivation here other than BW responces to this thread, but what the hell do I know.

Jim

jminion said:
Witt
Cause the cavity is empty is exactly why the measured level for the oil will change if it was measured with the plastic on, once the plastic is off the oil will then fill the void that was not present with the plastic on.

Larry and MBFB
As I said: Me thinks there is some other motivation here other than BW responces to this thread, but what the hell do I know.

Jim

Yeah, folks may have been pushed to their limits by others!

For one of those rare times, I agree with Minion. I've tried the wrapped
turkey thing, and it doesn't work out.

Now back our main argument....Jim, I'm telling you, there's no way
you can light just a few coals and hope they will ignite others for a long period of time. I'm tired of arguing the point. Just admit you're wrong.

Captain Morgan said:
you can light just a few coals and hope they will ignite others for a long period of time. I'm tired of arguing the point. Just admit you're wrong.

Isnt that the Finney method ??? :roll:

Captain Morgan said:
For one of those rare times, I agree with Minion. I've tried the wrapped
turkey thing, and it doesn't work out.

Capt
Ok Your right, don't tell Weber cause there making it part of there new book coming out soon. They're even paying for the recipe and write up that is being published, let me get the cash before they find out. :LOL:
Jim

cflatt said:
Captain Morgan said:

You are right cflatt... The Finney "Fire Up" which Minion stole years ago and renamed. Griff has been working on the suit for years. He hardly has time to post recipes because of it. :?

Finney said:
cflatt said:
Captain Morgan said:

You are right cflatt... The Finney "Fire Up" which Minion stole years ago and renamed. Griff has been working on the suit for years. He hardly has time to post recipes because of it. :?

I thought you named it the Finney Faulty Fire?

Back
Top Bottom