Trip to NC and SC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobberqer

Sous Chef
Ok, back from the trip to SC and NC....

On Friday, moments after landing from an uneventful, but beautiful flight down the eastern seaboard, from NY to Charelston, we went to a place called Smokey Bones BBQ for lunch........ just north of the Charleston Airport on the way to RT 26...

I'm tellin ya the Brisket and BBQ were very good wonderful taste on both of them... the cornbread was fantastic as well.. the slaw was just as good the place was packed at 1:30 in the afternoon.. there were two different types of sauce on the table, one mustard based and one tomato based.. I didnt put anything on the brisket, as I was pleased with the way it tasted as it was... I tried both sauces on the BBQ and both were very good in my opinion... I asked what kind of smoker they used and they told me it was a Souhtern Pride... The place was spotless, and the service was above expectations.. would definately return there

On Saturday, in White Ock NC, near Tar Heel/ Lumberton, NC, we had a pig pickin.. it was out of this world!!!.. the guy cooked it on a home made grill ( old propane tank, i think it was 500 gallon tank) using propane... He didnt use his home made smoker as he had to transport the pig to the site of the party on the grill and keep the pig warm until the party started... Of course, I parked myself right next to the pig when it arrived.. 150 pounder that he cooked for 10 hours... As we had to "test" it a few times to make sure it was okay for cunsumption, I got to try a whole bunch of it before the party... the only thing the guy put on it was ground black papper and a few small sprays of a vinegar sauce he made.. was delicious!!! Everyone raved about it... he put out his vinegar sauce which was very, very, ver,y good.. He wouldnt tell me how he made it (yet), but he says he's been working on it/ tweaking it, for 5 years and got it to where he wants it taste wise... I'm usually not a big vinegar sauce fan, but this was outstanding... During the diner we sat and talked about Que'in for a long time.... He mentioned he was looking to find a good rub for poultry and ribs.... So there was my >>in<<< I told him I'd trade him rub recipes for his sauce recipe it worked This afternoon I'm making a few rubs to send him, and he'll send me back his sauce recipe.... I think that's a great deal !!

Sunday for breakfast, guess what we had ??? Pork and grits :D i loved it ...I also tried for the first time, a sauce called Carolina Treet, , Original Cooking BBQ Sauce... I really enjoyed it..We bagged some of the pig up, and took it back to Charleston, SC.... Before we left , I went to a local market to see what kind of BBQ sauces were available.... I got Uncle Yammy's Grillin Sauce Original Recipe..... Carolina Treet Sauce.....JohnBoy& Billy's Sweet and Mild Grillin'Sauce..... and George's Original Barbecue Sauce, which seems like a Vinegar based sauce, as it is very thin...

Sunday night, after we got to SeaBrook Island, outside of Charleston, we ate the leftover pig from the party... It seemed even better than it did the day we ate it for the first time..

On Monday, when everyone else was out doing things I had little interest in doing, I went on a mission.. I had the name of a few places that did BBQ and I was determined to find em......

I headed a bit west on Rt 17 towards Savannah, but couldnt find anything... I turned around and headed back in towards Charleston.. First place I came to was Bessingers on Rt 17, just North/East of Rt 526 .... I ordered a 1/2 pound of the BBQ and bought their rub... I brought it to the car, then waited in anticipation to see how it would taste.. The BBQ was very, very, good it came with a little mustard sauce on it, very little.. and tasted great nice smoky, almsot sweet taste to it.... I also ordered the Onion ring which is a treat in itself.... and a Cheerwine which I had heard about.. Good .. tasted like a souped up Doctor Pepper.. I would definately return there...

Next place... I headed north through Charleton on Rt 17, to try and find Summerville... which was located a bit North of Charleston on RT 26... I musta missed the exit for Rt26, beacause I was on a bridge that said it took me to MT Pleasant ????lol I was thinking hmmmmm.. here we go on a wild goose chase for BBQ and I'm already getting lost... Well, as the Que Gods would have it, I came to the first light over the bridge, in Mt Pleasant, and for some reason decided to look to the right, as I was frantically looking at a map of the area that was sprawled all over my lap, and lo and behold I see a sign that said Sticky Fingers BBQ wooohoo Eureka!!! like i found gold lol... As I was making a NY right turn from the middle lane to get to this place, I see ANOTHER que place called Melvins on the left... Like I hit the Jack Pot.. I went into Sticky Fingers and looked around a bit.. clean, neat and the help was very friendly.... the place was packed with people.. I ordered a tub of Que, bought a bottle of their Sticky Fingers Tennessee Whiskey Barbecue Sauce while I waited, then went to the car and tasted it Was very good.... This one had a tomato based sauce on it... a lot of it... The meat was outstanding .. nice smokey taste .. I couldnt figure out why they would smother the great taste of the maet with all the sauce.. In any event . it was very good , and I would definately go back to the place..

Across the street I went to Melvins..... The drive thru had 8 cars in it, the parking lot had 2 UPS trucks, and a bunch of pick up trucks from construction types ,which to me, was a great sign !!!
I ordered a tub of Que, and with it came a free bottle of their BBQ sauce .. I chose the Melvins BBQ Sauce, Southern Honey.... a mustard based sauce... The place was nice, and service was friendly... You could tell the place had been there for a while.. Not that there was anything wrong with it, but the other places I went to were newer looking... I went to the car and tried the meat. I opened the tub, and immediately noticed the pork was pulled, long strings, as opposed to the other places, which were chopped... I also noticed there were pieces of bark on many of the pieces that I got .. I dont know if I just got lucky and got a good tub of Que, but I was certainly pleased with the bark... The meat was very very good.... The place was packed with people from all walks of life, suits, construction types, etc etc !!!!.. The meat was excellent... Would definately go back to the place...

I headed back to Seabrook Ilsand , pleased that I had found 3 different Que places... I put the remaining Que in the freezer, so I could bring it back to NY on Tuesday...

Glad I brought it home because we were tired after the trip... we heated it up for dinner on Tuesday night.. I'd be hard pressed to tell which was my favorite of all the BBQ I ate while down there... they were all more than acceptable, flavor wise... Upon reheating them I guess Melvins, tasted the best to me.. Just seemed to have a bit nore spices that please my taste buds.. The SO liked the Sticky Fingers meat, and the sauce it came with..... The Bessingers was up there in taste as well... If I had to judge em, I'd take a long time in making a decision because they were all good...very good in their own right, and taste, and style...

Good Luck to ya

Bob

Aim for success, not perfection.

We can get Sticky Fingers sauce up here and I'll tell you I like it bunches, not real sweet but sweet enough and a great flavor. Wish they would open a place up here.

Any of you guys want to loan me $45,000 I'll get it going and we can be partners.

Wow Bob, you hit a bunch of the chain joints! I was hoping you'd stumble onto some little shacks...sounds like you liked what you found though!

Of course, what interests me the most is the pig picking. You were in
eastern NC and you definately got a eastern pig picking experience!
My question about his sauce..did it have any sweetness in it? Some eastern vinegar and pepper sauces will have some sweetness, some won't...just wondering.

Cap Writes>>>>>Some eastern vinegar and pepper sauces will have some sweetness, some won't...just wondering.<<<<

Well.. it had a sweetness to it, but also had red pepper flakes floating in it and not hot but spicey a nice spicey

I was hopin to find one of those shack places .. but noone I asked, knew where there were any.. but go figure.. I was askin people from Kiawah and Sea Brook ... I asked a few gas stations and they looked at me like I was er ummm aaa... :eek: from NY :eek:

WD roller I made the attempt to make it up there but got the kaboshh from the SO .. it was apparently 1- 1.5 away from where I was in White Oak I gotta a lot of that yakkidty yakkity yack when i brought it up

Nothin better than a rundown local Q joint! Joel's in Flatonia, Tejas. Bridges in Shelby ,NC. Fat Matts Rib Shack in Atlanta, Bullocks in Durham, NC., Hot Suce Williams, in Cleveland :!: Gotta love the real stuff! Sounds like you ate some serious tonnage! I like Smokey Bones too. Hate to admit it, but I had a great cup of Brunswick stew and a Pluued Pork sammich there Wednesday last! Woody

and BTW I'm heading back down there in June, then again in Aug so if you guys know of any shack type,real smokey, stinkey, the wife wouldnt eat there type places ... I'd be forever in your debt :razz: :razz: :razz:

No. One day I'm going to take a week off for a BBQ Pilgrammage.
The Meccas's I'll hit will include Parkers, Skylight, several in Lexington,
B's in Greenville, Wilbur's, and Stephenson's.

Finney said:
wdroller said:
Yes, Captain, Oh, my Captain. :grin: Hope you've stopped there.

Thanks for the correction.
Cappie hasn't heard that in a looooooooong time. :lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :dunno:

Thanks Jack Much appreciated :D

Will be there in Augd definately and maybe 1 time prior to the wedding

Am looking for caterers for the rehersal dinner at John's Island Pavillion

have E mailed a few Que places that I went to while there..

simple stuff hamburgs ..hot dog.. sides ... maybe ... just maybe... a butt or 4 If i have any say in it [-o<

Bobberqer said:
Thanks Jack Much appreciated :D

Will be there in Augd definately and maybe 1 time prior to the wedding

Am looking for caterers for the rehersal dinner at John's Island Pavillion

have E mailed a few Que places that I went to while there..

simple stuff hamburgs ..hot dog.. sides ... maybe ... just maybe... a butt or 4 If i have any say in it [-o<

I may know a caterer or three. Hit me off list and maybe we can get you a hook up. :D

jackw@sc.rr.com

Good Q!

Jack

Back
Top Bottom