Tri Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Went to Costco to get some meat for my daughter's Birthday party tomorrow and needed to get some meat for skewers and I found Tri Tip. I've never seen it the way I found it, it looks almost like Country Style ribs. Anyways, I'm gonna slice this up and marinade overnight and skewer and grill tomorrow. I've heard everyone rave about this stuff so I hope it turns out well. Anyone else ever seen it cut like this before?

Larry

I was at a buddy's house last summer and he had a tri tip that he had cut into steaks that looked like that. I can't tell how thick those are from the picture. He had cut his about an inch thick and he grilled them with salt, pepper, and garlic. They were really good.

Griff

zilla said:
Larry, Are you getting a new smoker? I haven't seen any posts about it.

Yeah Zilla, I got it a couple weeks ago. I decided to hold off on a bigger cooker right now and bought another WSM. Now I have two and can cook quite a bit on them to hold me over.

Until I joined this site I never heard of Tri Tip :eek:
Hey Bruce let me know where to get it in our area 8-[
I've heard a lot of other people have trouble getting it :!:

Larry Wolfe said:
Went to Costco to get some meat for my daughter's Birthday party tomorrow and needed to get some meat for skewers and I found Tri Tip. I've never seen it the way I found it, it looks almost like Country Style ribs. Anyways, I'm gonna slice this up and marinade overnight and skewer and grill tomorrow. I've heard everyone rave about this stuff so I hope it turns out well. Anyone else ever seen it cut like this before?

Larry I saw the price on the package :eek:
Wow is that just for one package?
It does look like country style ribs, maybe i'm missing somthing at the meat market :eek:
I'm trying to find that in my area,I hope Bruce can help me out 8-[
Hope your daughter has a happy b-day,by the sound of what your cookin' ,i'm sure she will :!:

I think you get shot in my parts if you sell it like that...

WAY too much.

Tri Tip per poundage:
$2.49 is the low with fatness
$2.99 is the average
$3.99 should be the most you pay, no fat.
$4.99 the stuff better be GOOD.
Anything over that... Ummm Hmmmm

Thom or deputy, what do you pay where you live???

Larry, I have always cooked mine up like a london broil, just sliced real thin after the cook. I'll bet grilled up like that you will end up with a real nice steak. I wouldn't marinade it, just salt, pepper, onion pwder and grlic powder and grill. Happy Birthday to your daughter.

Puff said:

Puff,

The only place I've ever seen Tri-Tip around here is at Costco and that is not on a consistent basis.

Now there is a Trader Joes in Rochester Hills, that I am going to check this week one day and I'll let you know if they have it. If they do, I can assure you that it will be fairly pricy.

Okay I've done a little research here since I've never seen much less cooked a tri tip before. What I have are Tri Tip Steaks versus what the Tri Tip Roast which is what I think everyone is referring to. I did ask the guy at Costco if they sold the Roasts and he said no, all they had were bags of the Steaks. I'm guessing since these are smaller cuts being "steaks" vs. the whole "roast" is why the price was higher? Either way, I hope they turn out good. I sliced them in strips last night for the skewers and they are marinading in KC Masterpiece Honey Teriyaki to go on the grill later today. I'll let ya'll know how they turn out, keep your fingers crossed!!!

I paid $3.99 for the stuff I got a few weeks ago. I think that I also got the tri tip steaks. Oh well, very tasty.

Bruce B said:
Puff said:

Puff,

The only place I've ever seen Tri-Tip around here is at Costco and that is not on a consistent basis.

Now there is a Trader Joes in Rochester Hills, that I am going to check this week one day and I'll let you know if they have it. If they do, I can assure you that it will be fairly pricy.

I think theres a Trader Joes in Royal Oak too,I'm going to check in to It.
But like you said I'm sure the price will be through the roof.
Let me know what you come up with, I gotta' job in Rochester next week 8-[

Back
Top Bottom