Tragedy on Monday in our area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allie

Sous Chef
My daughter came home yesterday from school crying her heart out. One of her friends (13 yr old) was on his way home from school Monday with his 16 yr old sister driving and little brother (11 yr old). The sister was driving too fast and missed a curve. She and the 13 yr old were killed instantly and the little brother is in very serious condition. His neck is broken in 3 places and he is in a medically induced coma at this time. She had several classes with the 13 yr old and is hurt deeply by this.

I don't know this child but have shed quite a few tears over this tragic accident. My heart goes out to that family and what they must be feeling right now. It's never a good time but right here at Christmas sure makes it seem a lot worse. Just please remember them!

Allie,

Hopefully the school system will bring a counselor in to talk to the other children. That is an automatic up here whenever a child dies for whatever reason.

It's always hard when young children lose their lives, and especially so at this time of year. A 17-year-old boy at my niece's high school died yesterday, on the softball field. It's a small school, and I'm sure she knew him. When your kids are small, they think mom and dad know everything and can explain everything that happens. As they grow and mature, they realize we don't know everything. But when something like this happens, we can't explain, they can't understand. All we can do is help them get through it the best they can.

I do have some good news to report. The youngest son's fractures aren't as bad as they thought. He is actually going home from the hospital tomorrow and will have to wear a cervical collar for a while.

Bruce, I'm not sure about special counselors but I know my daughter and her best friend visited the guidance counselor yesterday and spoke with her about this.

Thanks guys! My daughter is really bummed about it. I'm keeping a close eye on her so we can seek counseling if needed. Other than the guidance counselor at school, she hasn't mentioned any. It's really hard facing mortality at her age. She wrote a very sweet letter to the parents about their son. He helped her pick up her books once when she dropped them and was always opening doors for the girls and generally being a nice boy. Sounds like he was a real gentleman.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom