Tomato tasting results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
In case any of you are tomato lovers, the top two from my someteenth annual tomato tasting were red brandywine and cherokee purple.

I've heard that about Brandywine's. I tried a couple from a veg stand and didn't think they were that good. Maybe I have to grow them myself.
I have 'Morgage Lifters' in the garden now (still green). Is that a good tasting heritage type?

Tomato likes are very much eater dependent - like BBQ sauce. This is the best the Brandy has done in my tasting so maybe I have a special plant this year and the one you bought may have been picked a little green days before you bought it. I grew Mortgage Lifters last year and they didn't win the tasting, but got some votes. I thought they were good, just liked others better. At any rate, they will be much better than what you buy in the store, which must be picked greenish to ship well. Good luck with yours.

I have grown Brandywine for years and LOVE them. I grew "Mortgage Lifters " once, but cannot recall the taste. That in itself say something. German Johnson is another good one. Now, I am too busy cooking to grow aNYTHING!!!!

I have some German Johnson's planted too. I was late buying my plants this year and most of what was left was heirlooms. That's why I have so many untried in the patch. Hey, if they are vine ripened, red and juicy, I'm happy.

Back
Top Bottom