Thinking about a ceramic???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
If any of you ever think about considering a ceramic cooker over a WSM, then think AGAIN. I'm not discounting the cooking performance of the ceramics at all, because I've seen and tasted fantastic food off of them and they are great cookers. But..... you always have to worrk about them cracking or breaking. And with the money you spend on a ceramic vs. a WSM it's just too much of a risk if you ask me!

Larry,
The problems cited in the link are about the Primo-Oval. That's a product Primo introduced a year or two ago. Not the typical egg shape.

My cooker, dubbed Einstien, is a Primo-Kamado - kissing cousin to the BGE. It works in blizzards, high winds, almost any weather.

Drawbacks are weight and limited cooking capacity, I'll give you that.

Don't know if the poster is using lighter-fluid. The instuction manual that came with Einstien was very up front stating to never use lighter fluid to start the fire. Perhaps that the problem the poster is having. Perhaps it is just a design flaw in the oval version.

DATsBBQ said:
Larry,
The problems cited in the link are about the Primo-Oval. That's a product Primo introduced a year or two ago. Not the typical egg shape.

My cooker, dubbed Einstien, is a Primo-Kamado - kissing cousin to the BGE. It works in blizzards, high winds, almost any weather.

Drawbacks are weight and limited cooking capacity, I'll give you that.

Don't know if the poster is using lighter-fluid. The instuction manual that came with Einstien was very up front stating to never use lighter fluid to start the fire. Perhaps that the problem the poster is having. Perhaps it is just a design flaw in the oval version.

Where in my post did I mention BGE's? I stated "ceramic's", meaning ALL ceramics are susceptible to cracking, which they are. The user that made that post has 4 "ceramic" cookers and understands how to use them. There was obviously a flaw in that cooker.

As far as being able to cook in any weather with your ceramic, I'm happy to sayI can cook on my WSM in any weather as well. I paid $189 for my cooker, how much did you pay for your ceramic?

wdroller said:
I have a son living on the shores of Lake Michigan year around, and he uses his Big Green Egg year around. It will generate intense heat. Everything that I have had from it has been great. Last year at the Bel Air B-B-Q Bash, a state championship event, Big Green Egg users took more trophies than anyone. That will be held again this coming Friday and Saturday. I'll make a point to see how they do this year. I would buy one in a minute if I didn't already have a charcoal grill, a gasser, and an offset smoker. It's a natural, I think, for people who don't like to "fiddle" with their fire, and who prefer to use charcoal as their main source of heat.

Either I wasn't clear on the subject or everyone's misunderstanding my post. I said the ceramics were great cookers, but are "breakable", which is a fact compared to a WSM. No need to defend the ceramics, I know they work and work well.

Hey Larry - take a pill :grin:
The poster referred to problems with his Primo Oval. I referenced the BGE as Einstein is the orginal cooker made by Primo and looks like a BGE. Most folks know what a BGE is and don't know what a Primo Kamado is.

Yes, All ceramics can crack. Yes, the WSM is cheaper. You could get nearly 3 WSMs to what I laid out for Einstein. So what?

I don't own a WSM and have never cooked on one so I can make no judgement as to which one puts out a better product. I suspect that if the pit-jockey was familar with both the product would be the same.

I do know that I didn't have to make several "modifications", didn't have to fabricate a wind shield or worry about it walking away (as in thieves)

I do know that Einstein will hold 250 degrees for 8 - 10 hours in 5 degree weather without having to refuel. Which means I get to spend more time out of the elements and not effing around outside in rain, hail and snow or worry about starting a forest fire.

Don't like ceramics, hey don't buy one.

I do plan on buying a WSM for the portability factor. Weber makes a good product and I have 2 of charcoal grills.

DATsBBQ said:
Hey Larry - take a pill :grin:
The poster referred to problems with his Primo Oval. I referenced the BGE as Einstein is the orginal cooker made by Primo and looks like a BGE. Most folks know what a BGE is and don't know what a Primo Kamado is.

Yes, All ceramics can crack. Yes, the WSM is cheaper. You could get nearly 3 WSMs to what I laid out for Einstein. So what?

I don't own a WSM and have never cooked on one so I can make no judgement as to which one puts out a better product. I suspect that if the pit-jockey was familar with both the product would be the same.

I do know that I didn't have to make several "modifications", didn't have to fabricate a wind shield or worry about it walking away (as in thieves)

I do know that Einstein will hold 250 degrees for 8 - 10 hours in 5 degree weather without having to refuel. Which means I get to spend more time out of the elements and not effing around outside in rain, hail and snow or worry about starting a forest fire.

Don't like ceramics, hey don't buy one.

I do plan on buying a WSM for the portability factor. Weber makes a good product and I have 2 of charcoal grills.

Take a pill? I'll ignore that.

Like I said you either misinterpreted my post or you just don't know any better, probably a little of both. My post was simply to make people aware of the possiblity of a ceramic cracking. You've obviously taken offence to the post and that is why you are defending them so much.

I also never said I didn't like ceramics. I simply stated they're alot of money for the risk of breaking compared to less money and a more durable equally or better functioning WSM.

BTW, I don't have a wind break, a guru, nor have I made any modifications to my WSM's and I can cook for a minimum of 12 hours without refueling or even touching. That's in any type of weather.

Not to take sides but I have to agree with Larry. He simply mentioned that ceramics have a chance of cracking and for those looking into them to do more research regarding the durability or simply just how to use them.

Now this may be an isolated case regarding the cracking on that guys ceramic.

Obviously Dats has a ceramic and has been using it for a long time. Maybe he's smarter and knows how the cooker functions compared to that guy who just got his ceramic and it cracked within the first few cooks.

For us simpletons, maybe, a WSM is the 'easier' decision and so far no one has complained, that we know of, of any problems with their WSM.

Well all live in different regions with varying temperatures during specific times of year. Dats in Colorado, Larry In VA, Me in KS. We all know what snow is and freezing temps and learn how to cope with it. For some, staying outside to adjust temps in the cold maybe isin't their cup of tea, maybe it is for others.

There are pro's and con's to both, bottom line is that they are both capable of producing great Q.

Larry was by no means talking down about the ceramics, just bringing up a point that someone (including myself) may not realize regarding the ceramics, besides they aren't cheap either.

I heard he bought one but is afraid to tell us about it. :grin: :grin: :grin: :^o

Last time I used my little smoker that could "WSM" I was Uh Knee Bre ated and dropped the lid. Som Bit(h got a big ol scratch across it. Still works though but I mainly use it for overnight butts and smoked corn since getting my pull behind. I do think that my ribs and brisket are better cooked on the stick burner! :winkie: But that could be because of all the practice I have been doing too.

Out numbered, why yes. But when my Kamado cracks into four pieces 8-[ , the sheer weight of each falling fragment will crush 16 WSMs into cookie pans :badgrin: .

Remember boys and girls, "there is no strength in numbers, have no such misconception" :winkie:

#-o wrong avatar for that quote

There Be Heretics Here? :) Should be careful lest the BBQ Gods frown upon us and cause more problems with the board :D

wdroller said:
brian j said:
woh... let's not change this cermamic bashing thread into a wsm bashing thread. we out number most of you.
taunt008.gif

Virginia is overun with BBQers who, every Christmas, ask Santa for a Big Green Egg. :horse: :D
Now that was funny....

All ceramic cookers eventually crack,and don't bother trying to start one up in -20 degree weather :grin: eventually you end up buying an offset woodburner that outcooks them little lightweight toys and snicker at the ceramic loonies! :)

"All" as in with time they all dry out and crack,oh and the loonie part is all true,especially when it's straight off a gasser and into a ceramic and they think bbq is something that noone else using something else has figured out. :grin:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom