Thinking about a ceramic???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BBQmmm wrote:
... and the loonie part is all true,especially when it's straight off a gasser and into a ceramic and they think bbq is something that noone else using something else has figured out.

WTF? :slap: I've never taken anything straight of a gasser and stuck it in a ceramic much less try to pass it off a Q. Now that offends me :antismile:

Hey hey, my my
Einstein can never die,
There's more to the picture than meets the eye,
Hey hey, my my
This is the story of a smoker gone rotten,
It's better to burn out - rust never sleeps
Hey hey, my my

My apologies to Mr Young 8-[

DATs, he's just
10.gif

Might be time to change the Avatar and go to the blue room if this keeps up :rant: Then we dance upon the water. :grin:

If you cook good Q in a garbage can more power to you and I dont mind at all. im just not hungry right now thank you very much.

DATsBBQ said:
BBQmmm wrote:
... and the loonie part is all true,especially when it's straight off a gasser and into a ceramic and they think bbq is something that noone else using something else has figured out.

WTF? :slap: I've never taken anything straight of a gasser and stuck it in a ceramic much less try to pass it off a Q. Now that offends me :antismile:

I meant cooking on a propane gasser,,,,,,,then switching to a ceramic,,,,,, and then .........................nevermind!

DATsBBQ said:
Hey hey, my my
Einstein can never die,
There's more to the picture than meets the eye,
Hey hey, my my
This is the story of a smoker gone rotten,
It's better to burn out - rust never sleeps
Hey hey, my my

My apologies to Mr Young 8-[

Cracking ceramic,,,,cracking ceramic as we sing,,,
you know it,,yes you know it'll make a pling,,,,,
don't really wanna tell you when,,,,
cuz you know it really iz no zen.

My apologies to sanford and son.

back on the topic ... Larry, I would like to get a jumbo BGE some day when my ship comes in, even though they can crack ... I would like to add an offset to my collection as well

Shawn White said:
back on the topic ... Larry, I would like to get a jumbo BGE some day when my ship comes in, even though they can crack ... I would like to add an offset to my collection as well

Shawn, I agree with you, I love to cook on different types of cookers as well. I'd even consider a ceramic one day if they weren't so expensive and came with the possibility of cracking. If they were in the same price range as a WSM, I'd buy one in a heart beat.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Shawn White":14qn5ral]back on the topic ... Larry, I would like to get a jumbo BGE some day when my ship comes in, even though they can crack ... I would like to add an offset to my collection as well

Shawn, I agree with you, I love to cook on different types of cookers as well. I'd even consider a ceramic one day if they weren't so expensive and came with the possibility of cracking. If they were in the same price range as a WSM, I'd buy one in a heart beat.[/quote:14qn5ral]

Larry....read that again, now c'mon, you can't have it both ways. Make up your mind. :grin:

BBQmmm said:
All ceramic cookers eventually crack,and don't bother trying to start one up in -20 degree weather :grin: eventually you end up buying an offset woodburner that outcooks them little lightweight toys and snicker at the ceramic loonies! :)

I purchased a custom made offset pit from a very well known pit builder. It was a beautiful, very well made pit that cooked very well. But to be honest with you it didn't cook BBQ any better than my WSM's. I'll put my BBQ cooked in my "toy" as you call the smaller cookers, up against your "Big Manly Stick Burner" anyday. Don't even try to get into a "is this real BBQ or not", because if you wanna start that debate nobody including myself and you are making "Real Traditional BBQ" here.

Good BBQ is made by a good cook regardless of what they are cooking on. It's the cook, not the pit! This thread was not intended to bash ceramics, it was just a "heads up" to anyone thinking about buying one, that's all. Sorry to anyone offended.

Bruce B said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":17g1smoa][quote="Shawn White":17g1smoa]back on the topic ... Larry, I would like to get a jumbo BGE some day when my ship comes in, even though they can crack ... I would like to add an offset to my collection as well

Shawn, I agree with you, I love to cook on different types of cookers as well. I'd even consider a ceramic one day if they weren't so expensive and came with the possibility of cracking. If they were in the same price range as a WSM, I'd buy one in a heart beat.[/quote:17g1smoa]

Larry....read that again, now c'mon, you can't have it both ways. Make up your mind. :grin:[/quote:17g1smoa]

Now you look here Mr. B. 8-[ I said if they didn't cost so much I'd like to have one! Originally I said I didn't want one because the cost so much! What's the confusion?? Now I'm confused?
1.gif

wdroller said:
Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Bruce B":2hyzxk40][quote="Larry Wolfe":2hyzxk40][quote="Shawn White":2hyzxk40]back on the topic ... Larry, I would like to get a jumbo BGE some day when my ship comes in, even though they can crack ... I would like to add an offset to my collection as well

Shawn, I agree with you, I love to cook on different types of cookers as well. I'd even consider a ceramic one day if they weren't so expensive and came with the possibility of cracking. If they were in the same price range as a WSM, I'd buy one in a heart beat.

Larry....read that again, now c'mon, you can't have it both ways. Make up your mind. :grin:[/quote:2hyzxk40]

Now you look here Mr. B. 8- I said if they didn't cost so much I'd like to have one! Originally I said I didn't want one because the cost so much! What's the confusion?? Now I'm confused?
1.gif
[/quote:2hyzxk40]

How much did your offset cost you? :)[/quote:2hyzxk40]

Oh boy........... How many 1/4", 3/8" steel offsets have you heard of cracking???
2.gif

Larry Wolfe said:
I purchased a custom made offset pit from a very well known pit builder. It was a beautiful, very well made pit that cooked very well. But to be honest with you it didn't cook BBQ any better than my WSM's. I'll put my BBQ cooked in my "toy" as you call the smaller cookers, up against your "Big Manly Stick Burner" anyday. Don't even try to get into a "is this real BBQ or not", because if you wanna start that debate nobody including myself and you are making "Real Traditional BBQ" here.

Well i don't know which offset you had,but if you couldn't make tastier BBQ than a charcoal only WSM then something was definitely wrong,were you burning wood? could you burn wood in the offset?Maybe the offset wasn't thick enough for some serious all wood cooking?

What? Now everyone will go off on a traditionalist crap poopoo post,right?
Well if you can then do,if you can't let someone else burn your wood for you and pay $12 a bag!

BBQmmm said:
Larry Wolfe said:

Well i don't know which offset you had,but if you couldn't make tastier BBQ than a charcoal only WSM then something was definitely wrong,were you burning wood? could you burn wood in the offset?Maybe the offset wasn't thick enough for some serious all wood cooking?

You're probably right, my pit was probably poorly constructed of low grade materials and wouldn't work well with the pressure treated pine wood I was using. What would you suggest I do next time?

Larry Wolfe said:
You're probably right, my pit was probably poorly constructed of low grade materials and wouldn't work well with the pressure treated pine wood I was using. What would you suggest I do next time?

Ok,firstly get rid of the pine,then make sure any wood you collect is stacked nicely in bigger pieces to season,then cut too size day before your cook and let air,minimum 3 year old will cook nicely for you,so always be on the lookout like a squirrel,,,ahhh just replace wood with nuts!!meat will taste better,always preheat the wood,and get yourself a heavy offset with a big ass 400#+ 20" minimum firebox which is very important for combustion and very clean burn.
And stay away from them baffleless offsets at BBQ galore for $200,them things are the worlds worst bbq cookers!
Glad to be of some help. [-X

even if cermics were priced the same as WSM we'd still say 'but they can crack'

I'm thinking not all cracks are a real problem anyways. Guys???

BBQmmm said:
Larry Wolfe said:

Ok,firstly get rid of the pine,then make sure any wood you collect is stacked nicely in bigger pieces to season,then cut too size day before your cook and let air,minimum 3 year old will cook nicely for you,so always be on the lookout like a squirrel,,,ahhh just replace wood with nuts!!meat will taste better,always preheat the wood,and get yourself a heavy offset with a big ass 400#+ 20" minimum firebox which is very important for combustion and very clean burn.
And stay away from them baffleless offsets at BBQ galore for $200,them things are the worlds worst bbq cookers!
Glad to be of some help. [-X

Thanks, I just smoked a turd per your instructions and it was the best turd I've ever cooked. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom