The Hot Dog Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Nonfat milk added? YUCK! :LOL: ;) Those are fat dog's Do they rip on the grill?
Never cooked 'em [smilie=a_whyme.gif]
That's the first thing I noticed too :shock:
But in all reality............who reads the package hot dogs come in :shock:
Scary stuff :shock:

Sabretts

Grilled, skillet, boiled

I like to slit them, stuff them with american cheese, wrap in bacon and grill until done. Throw them on a grilled bun with some mustard (any brand will do) and some Sabretts onion sauce.......man thats some good eats!

Gwaltney smoked sausage (3 lb package) (or Polish)
Grilled
Brown mustard and chopped onions

--John 8)
(I wish I could buy brats like they serve at Road America, and their mustard too.)

well this is getting interesting...I notice the northeast boys are
talking about stuff we Carolina boys can't get...and I know that
many Carolina folk like pork dogs...they plentiful down here.

Captain Morgan said:
well this is getting interesting...I notice the northeast boys are
talking about stuff we Carolina boys can't get...and I know that
many Carolina folk like pork dogs...they plentiful down here.

Do they look like these Jim? Around here they are called a white hot.

i have the mucke's factory on my inspection route (this inspection should be coming up in a week or three), if they let me, i'll take some pix for a little tour of the plant....usually at the end of my inspection, the guy snaps a dog or two for me fresh out of the steam/smoke oven.....best hot dog i've ever had in my life, just plain, no bun or anything......

Rob D. said:
i have the mucke's factory on my inspection route (this inspection should be coming up in a week or three), if they let me, i'll take some pix for a little tour of the plant....usually at the end of my inspection, the guy snaps a dog or two for me fresh out of the steam/smoke oven.....best hot dog i've ever had in my life, just plain, no bun or anything......
Well that sure would be cool as heck! Hope you get a green light on the pics. :D

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19490465/

How to create the perfect summer hot dog
Cook's Illustrated & America's Test Kitchen on the best buns, relish & more
TODAY
Updated: 5:44 p.m. ET June 28, 2007

What could be more American than Fourth of July weekend and hot dogs? Weekend TODAY thought it would be a perfect time to feature the Great American Hot Dog Taste-Test, courtesy of the folks at Cook's Illustrated and America's Test Kitchen.

They know that the perfect hot dog starts with the top dog, but the condiments and buns are just as important. They ran blind taste-tests for all the important components in the perfect hot dog and came up with the following recommendations:

KETCHUP: Hunt's Ketchup
In the test kitchen, we like our ketchup smooth, thick, and tangy, and bold. Hunt's beat out seven other leading brands to win our taste-test. Tasters called it "fresh" and "well balanced." Our lab tests showed that Hunt's has more tomato solids than other brands, which explains why our tasters said Hunt's has the best tomato flavor.

Heinz Organic was the runner-up in our tasting, but regular Heinz ketchup finished in the middle of the pack.

MUSTARD: Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard
Our top-rated brown or yellow mustard is Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard, the favorite of the four brands tested. On its own, this mustard impressed tasters with its "spicy kick" and "earthy, woodsy flavor." Most tasters thought Gulden's smokiness and balanced acidity perfectly complimented the hot dog.

RELISH: Cascadian Farm Sweet Relish
Relish is nothing more than pickled cucumbers with sugar, vinegar, salt, and spices. Of the seven brands tested, Cascadian Farm Sweet Relish was the test kitchen's favorite tasters described it as "piquant," "sweet," "fresh," and "natural." This brand is made without yellow dye #5 (the stuff that gives most relishes their bright color), so Cascadian Farm is a drab gray-green hue.

Heinz came in a close second, winning tasters over with its "crunchy" texture and "mustardy" flavor. If you want relish with a glow-in-the-dark color, choose Heinz.

HOT DOG BUNS: Pepperidge Farm Frankfurter Top-Sliced Rolls
Many buns are too gummy and soft and will apart under the weight of the hot dog and condiments. Of the three major brands tested, Pepperidge Farm was our tasters' favorite. Tasters liked the bun's crusty exterior, sturdiness, and nice "yeasty" taste.

Besides choosing the right brand, pay attention to how the buns are sliced. We prefer top-sliced buns because the bread is evenly distributed on each side of the dog, and top-sliced buns do a better job of holding the hot dog and condiments securely. In contrast, side-sliced buns have almost twice the amount of bread on top as on the bottom, making for awkward, unbalanced bites and a risk of condiments leaking out through the cut side of the bun. Top-sliced buns are widely available in the Northeast; less so in other parts of the country.

HOT DOGS: Nathan's Famous Beef Franks
We tasted nine brands of all-beef hot dogs. Nathan's Famous Beef Franks was our tasting panel's clear favorite. Tasters praised Nathan's dogs for their "meaty," "hearty," "robust" flavor and "firm," "craggy" texture.

Second-place went to Johnsonville Stadium Style Beef Franks. These extra-large dogs were described as "meaty" with a "strong spice blend." Our panel also liked Hebrew National Beef Franks - our third place finisher. These dogs have excellent "snap" and were deemed "nice and juicy" with good hits of garlic and smoke.

All three of our top brands list 0 grams of sugar on labels. Brands with significant amounts of sugar (up to 2 grams per serving) were downgraded as sweet and "unnatural" tasting. Finally, tasters wanted a hot dog with some snap. Soft, "bologna-like" brands were downgraded.
© 2007 MSNBC Interactive

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19490465/

Thanks for that review Cappy. Always wondered why I like them Nathans dawgs so good. Now a jug of ketchup would last me about 100 years when it come to applying it to a dawg. Kids and yankees prob like it though. That Guldens mustard is purty nasty too. I druther have Grey Poupon.

bigwheel

I like em all too but nathans are some of my favorite and so is Oscar Meyer all beef with mustard and relish. I also like to grill them with bbq sauce. Thats right bbq sauce.

Back
Top Bottom