The Annual Spring Hot Dog Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
I love em! I like to eat em more than make em. I guess all winter
I eat them because it reminds me of warm weather and being outside.
I eat mine Carolina style...mustard, chili and slaw, chopped onions are
fine.

Never tried a Chicago dog, not really that interested in that either.

now let's do a poll. I really like seeing how different parts of the
country like different versions of the same thing.

I usually don't do chili dogs. Mustard and relish for me, although lately I've been using some Weber (no relation to the grill company) hot mustard wittdog turned me on to. That's good stuff.

A good dog is all about the char.

A fresh Nathan's with relish an onions, Oh boy them er good!

Otherwise a fine locker all beef dog in natural casin, with chilli, some cheese an onions. Can't beat a good dog!

oh yeah it is...he sent me some...LOVE the hot garlic mustard on a dog.
I love relish too. I just love hot dogs. don't think I ever found one I didn't like.

up north in hot dog paradises like New Yawk and Connecticut
it's all about the dog itself....has to be all beef and they argue
about which brand is best.

Here it's more about the chili and slaw. Texas likes a different style
chili than I like. I like a more thin style beef sauce, been working on
a recipe for a few years now. I know BW just likes Wolfe chili from
a can, but it's a little thick for me.

Stogie is gone again, but if he were here he'd post all his
chili recipes...he likes the coney style, which is similar to
what I'm working on, a version of the Aiken pool hall style.

Stogie's excellent recipes are here somewhere, you can search
for em....try the one with all the lard!

I had been experimenting for several years, and hit a winner one night.
Got unsolicited comments from the poker boys. I was down to that and
adding one more spice to see how it worked in the next batch....and
my computer crashed. All that work, and the recipes and techniques were lost. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Whenever I get it
right, I'll post it.

btw, the latest effort generated no unsolicited comments Wed night.

I LOVE chili dawgs. All beef hotdog with a thin, spicy, beefy chili sauce. Standard yellow mustard or hot mustard - I like 'em both. Tons of sharp cheddar melted on top. No onions here. My preferred way is a charred hotdog from the grill and toasted hotdog bun. Eat with fork and knife :)

I would kill for a good chili sauce recipe just for hot dogs!! If anyone has a good one, please post!

A new hot dog place opened up in town. Their chili is just okay... but they have a pastrami dog that kicks ass! Just like a Reuben - pastrami dog, thousand island dressing, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese. That sounds so good I think I'm gonna go get a couple after I log off the internets.

now that's a new one on me, and I thought I had heard it all!

So would you say your tastes are standard for your region?

I think Nevada, I think west, and when I think west, I think of
a thicker sauce.

IMHO, there is a HUGE difference in the chili I put on a hot dog and
the chili I eat out of a bowl.

Captain Morgan said:
now that's a new one on me, and I thought I had heard it all!

So would you say your tastes are standard for your region?

I think Nevada, I think west, and when I think west, I think of
a thicker sauce.

IMHO, there is a HUGE difference in the chili I put on a hot dog and
the chili I eat out of a bowl.

I agree - chili out of a bowl and chili on hot dog are two totally different things. I personally crave the chili sauce from Wienersnitchel sometimes... but all the joints closed up. Closest one is over 35 miles away, and it's been so long since I've been there I'm not even sure it's open.

There are really NO standards or styles here. Every BBQ joint tries to emulate other styles... There is no real "Nevada Style". Of course a lot of California influence as well as Tex-mex style.

To be honest, there is not a single BBQ joint in Reno/Tahoe/Carson area I really like except for one. That's why I took on the hobby myself. Sometimes when I'm in a mood I walk into a "BBQ" restaurant and ask them where the smoker is and what wood they use. They just point at the gas indoor grill with a blank look on their face.

A place just opened that serves "Hawaiian BBQ" Of course I walk in and everything is cooked on a commercial griddle. Was looking forward to some good sweet pork dishes but was disappointed.

One place in Carson City has an open pit and uses pecan wood. Unfortunately, the sauce they use just isn't for me. Their ribs are usually over cooked and tough. I'm pretty sure they boil them too. Their pulled pork is an awful mush and the coleslaw is about as tasty as cotton balls sprinkled with pepper.

The ONLY good BBQ you get around here is from a few caterers who do not have retail establishments. Carson City BBQ company has some of the best BBQ sauce and rubs I've ever tasted. BJ's BBQ based out of Sparks, Nevada is the only restaurant around that I consider excellent BBQ. Just too far of a drive for me though. http://www.bjsbbq.com/

The sauce of choice here is the thick, sweet, tomato based. You can't even find any mustard/vinegar based sauce. If you ask for it they look at you like what planet are you from?

That's why I am so thankful for BBQ Central! As I'm sure most of you know, your own stuff your own way is the best :)

not a chili dog fan either. I like mine with on a toasted or grilled roll with ketchup, Weber hot mustard relish and lots of onions. Ive been known to make a slit in the hot dog, stuff it with cheese and wrap in bacon. Around these parts, thats known as a "Whistle Pig"

After my Southern trip I really like the slaw dogs.
But I can still go for a good grilled dog with mustard and onions. (and some ketchup now and then) Natural casings are the best.
What is everyones type of cooking you like the best? Boiled, grilled, etc.?
Jim if you "reinvent" that chili recipe pass it forward! 8)

Sahlens….all natural casings for grilling….I loves me some chilli dogs with onions…If I’m smoking the dogs or doing dirty water dogs then the cheapest there is….

BTW Chilli Cheeseburgers are pretty dam tasty as well…..

Griff when you make it OINK I'll set you up with some Salens.

Grilled or fried in butter..And Ill second the Salens thing...nothing like 'em. Ive been know to put a bunch of those dogs down the ole' hatch...

Griff said:
wittdog said:
Griff when you make it OINK I'll set you up with some Salens.

Cool. Unity and I are coming again this year.
It will be nice to see you boys again. I'll hook Griff and John up with "white hots" a white hot dog made from pork from Wardinski's from Buffalo that I grew up with. Yea, I got to throw a few jars of Webers mustard in there too.http://www.webersmustard.com/
Didn't know about just plain ole mustard till I was in 5th or 6th grade. Yea, Yea, a week or so ago. :LOL:

Pigs

Chicago Dogs

Captain Morgan mentioned a Chicago Dog and I did make up some a few months ago and will post some information on this unique treat.

img_184646_0_4ec5e23d16d22396a550e6faaf4e5aac.jpg

Well, they are supposed to look like this ...(sure don't know why anyone would cut up a dog like you see in the picture).

img_184646_1_25a9026d7e4ce0098554f7f7d9bf0d64.jpg

Anyway, this is about the best I could come up with on a Chicago dog as it is difficult to find some of the ingredients in my area so I had to make do with what I could find or make up for this treat. Sure isn't anybody in my area that has a poppy seeded hotdog bun so I had to make it as well.

I even had to order a quality hotdog as I couldn't find any in my area.

You can find more info on my Chicago Dog here:
http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/sea ... el/Hotdogs

There was (don't know if it still is) a place in Elmira, NY called M&M's...it had some of the best hot dogs around. It was counter style seating that wrapped the majority the space...the dogs were bigger than coney style but not huge by any stretch...the meat sauce they put on them was fabulous. I could easily suck down 6 in a sitting...it was a favorite place of the Airboss too...He was born and raised in Elmira so we would go there when we would visit my grandparents...great dogs and great memories!

Well chili dawgs is just about my favorite food group. I like em about any whichaway...now the 2nd photo of the Chicago style might make me heave..I aint sure. I know coleslaw on dawgs will trigger it. I was raised near a little diner called Heighton's Hamburgers on the square in Graham, TX. They had the best I ever tasted before or since. They used hambuger buns as opposed to hot dawg buns..and toast up both sides along with a split grilled weenie...lay out the bottom bun and cover with the grilled weenie and some spicy chili that would make you sweat and a big handful of chopped onyawns and a big blob of yeller mustard..put the top on it and you eat it like a hamburger. Cost 15 cents. Yum yum. I still make em like that on special occasions but they mighty messy and usually wind up using two weenies and eat it with a fork. You can emulate their sauce real easy by adding about half a jar of Pace Med. Picante sauce to 1 can of chili..Wolf Brand of course. I got to tweak em with a bunch of sour kraut and cheese..raw garlic..Sirriachi sauce etc. If I was a yankee I would like a dawg which is called Cincinatti Style. Seen that on Food TV. Which would pass for whut would be called a Mess Dawg at Der Weinerscintzel (sic). Chili..cheese..onyawns..mustard and kraut. I could eat 7 w/o a problemo. Course I was younger and had mo of a cast iron gut and stronger tummy acid back in them days. Would prob make an old codger *hit over the barn:)

bigwheel

still there

Greg Rempe said:
There was (don't know if it still is) a place in Elmira, NY called M&M's...it had some of the best hot dogs around. It was counter style seating that wrapped the majority the space...the dogs were bigger than coney style but not huge by any stretch...the meat sauce they put on them was fabulous. I could easily suck down 6 in a sitting...it was a favorite place of the Airboss too...He was born and raised in Elmira so we would go there when we would visit my grandparents...great dogs and great memories!
there still there,m&m the best im with greg on this one,they steam the roll and meat sauce is the best!!!

Der Weinersnichel is my favorite! In colorado we only have "the Hamburger Stand". I think they're owned by the same company that owns Der weinersnichel. There chili is just a bit different.....Ive been buying a sauce made by "Always Save brand" and its pretty dam close to weinersnich.

Also, Someone on here posted a link to different chili sauces made by different companys...It was on their website. I remember one was from A&W ....they were the original company recipies.....I wanna say it was the posted by bbqguru or maybe Stogie but those names are shots in the dark. I remember the persons father owned a fast food type of restaraunt. If anyone recognizes this please post. I had it on my work computer but never saved it at home. :( .....Anyone have that link? Thanks! db

Back
Top Bottom