Strange noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tannehill Kid

Head Chef
Put three butts on the WSM last night cooking with KF and pecan wood. When I went to foil them with the lid off I heard a pop in the smoker. Finished wrapping put the lid back on and the temp started rising and would not come down. It got to 303 and stayed there. Shut all vents down and still stayed up. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and what the pop might have been? The fact that it happen at 1 in the morning was enough to pee me off. Before you say it no pics = no cook I thought yall would be tired of seeing the same ole butt pics :roll:

Sometimes I hear pops...like when fat is dripping down in to the pan that has no water in it due to the fact that it has evaporated.

But perhaps some kind of steam pop occurred...these usually happen with cookshacks...but it wouldn't explain why the heat stayed up.

Was there water or sand in the pan?

Not sure about the popping sound, but dampen the vents for a bit before you open it since it is going to rise anyway. Then put them back in and let it get back to what you want... Pop could have been cold air hitting the drip pan... who knows.. put some pics anyway bro. ;)

Have about 3/4 pan of sand topped with foil. How much sand do yall use. I'm using the pan that came with the WSM. Like using the Weber(doesn't need as much attention)but the stick burner makes better Q.

wood pops....don't know what kind of pecan you're using, but
all wood will spark and pop...I'll never forget the time
I opened my wsm door to add a chunk and a freakin spark
shot right in my eyeball and lodged beneath my eye lid.
Not a fun moment.

Anyway, as the wood popped and opened up some fresh
hot wood, it could have burned hot and raised the temps, along with
the air rushing in from you opening the lid.

Just a thought.

My guess is the butts were fine.

If'n ya want ta have some fun burn some Osage orange, mock orange, Osage apple, hedge, hedge apple, naranjo chino, bois d'arc, bodark or bow wood (all the same tree) sometime.

The porcelain coating on the bottom of my water pan is LONG gone. I've run sand from the beginning. Maybe it was the first CRACK? ... Wood moisture sounds more likely tho.

Never bothered to try cooking with it but have burned a bunch of bois' de ark in the fireplace and it behaved very well. I did not notice any popping. Do you reckon I could have had an atypical sample? Now on this popping deal on the WSM I cant help but wonder..from the available info..whether you could have accidentally throwed a whole pee can in the fire? Those things will pop like little hand grenades. Just trying to cover all the bases. Did you tap slap and beat around on the gauge to make sure it wasn't stuck? Thanks.

bigwheel

Papa Tom said:
If'n ya want ta have some fun burn some Osage orange, mock orange, Osage apple, hedge, hedge apple, naranjo chino, bois d'arc, bodark or bow wood (all the same tree) sometime.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom