Sous vide after of before smoking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deanw

Assistant Cook
Hi gents,
An experienced smoker, came here looking for a piece of advice.

I got the Anova Precision sous-vide at BF, and I've only cooked a few bone-in chicken breasts since then. Wife liked the results, and so did I. But I've been fancying with idea of SV+smoking idea recently, like it's hitting two birds at once: I want to make a sous-vide for my wife and try something new. So I've got a ~2-3lb lamb shoulder for SV+smoking experiment.
Would you guys 1) smoke, then SV or 2) SV then smoke? And why?

Another question is whether it's OK to use a regular pot instead of a proper container, since, like, my current container might hold a boneless chicken, but it might be tricky to fit a shoulder in it.

p.s. - no matter how it turns out, I'm eating the evidence.

Hi gents,
An experienced smoker, came here looking for a piece of advice.

I got the Anova Precision sous-vide at BF, and I've only cooked a few bone-in chicken breasts since then. Wife liked the results, and so did I. But I've been fancying with idea of SV+smoking idea recently, like it's hitting two birds at once: I want to make a sous-vide for my wife and try something new. So I've got a ~2-3lb lamb shoulder for SV+smoking experiment.
Would you guys 1) smoke, then SV or 2) SV then smoke? And why?

Another question is whether it's OK to use a regular pot instead of a proper container, since, like, my current container might hold a boneless chicken, but it might be tricky to fit a shoulder in it.

p.s. - no matter how it turns out, I'm eating the evidence.

Decided to SV first (decided to get one of these in the end since I don't have an attachment to run Anova with a pot, and took almost 2 days to soak it in marinade), smoke later (using Kamado and apple wood chips) and that's what I got. It was a good decision, and meat was extremely tender and delicious. No carving knife needed, just two forks, and some Lamb Sauce.
I consider it was a success. Can share a recipe in case someone need this.

Attachments

• IMG_2700.jpg
    IMG_2700.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 195
Back
Top Bottom