some cheery wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
A guy I work with who’s knows of my little hobby and has had my Q told me he had some cherry wood for me. Last night he asked me where I parked and told me he would toss it in the van for me. I was expecting a couple of piece of wood.

I gotta tell you MJ “helpedâ€

That is a great score!
I had a chance to get some Orange wood like that and loaded up the cop car so much that the front end was sticking up while driving, Wood up to the roof in the back seat and a full trunk. Praying I didn't bump into somebody who needed to go to jail on the way home! :D

Year before last, a cherry tree on the edge of our lot turned into a leaner and demanded to be taken out. I cut and stacked it and left it to dry. I've just started chunking it up into smoke wood (man, do I need a new chain on my saw!). I'm looking forward to smoking a bunch of stuff with cherry! :D

--John 8)

Flytyer said:
Does that wood need to dry? How long until you think you'll be able to use it? I ask because I have been offered some apple wood but don't know if I'll have the space long term.
Make room. That is some good stuff! I would think it would be ok in a couple months if it is kept dry.

Flytyer said:
Does that wood need to dry? How long until you think you'll be able to use it? I ask because I have been offered some apple wood but don't know if I'll have the space long term.
Like everything else connected with bbq, opinions differ. ;)

My preference is to treat smoke wood the same way I do fireplace wood -- season it well. Nothing greener than last year's wood makes it into my fireplace, or my smoker. It may not make that much difference, but that's my preference.

One authority sorta says it doesn't matter:

TVWB said:
If you're lucky enough to have appropriate smoke wood trees on your property, or know someone who does, you can chop up green logs and branches into chunks for use in your Weber Bullet. Most people let the wood season before use, but others will use a mix of green and seasoned wood chunks.
--John 8)
(I agree with GH -- find a place for that apple wood. :) )

I doesn't look any happier than any other wood I have seen........... I use ALOT of cherry. I find that it burns fairly quickly, but hot. It does not have alot of flavor to impart, but it is not strong or offensive if you use too much. Like Bubs said, it gives good color to poultry. I take all I can get!

The wood has been seasoned for a year so it's good to go...I think the moisture content of wood plays a role in the flavor..wood can be to seasoned IMO....Bubba I got a line on some "gourmet cherry wood" for the jack ;)

Cappy I think green wood can make bitter smoke.....but if there is little or no moisture in the wood..it seems like it just burns and does't impart much flavor..at least thats been my xperience.

Back
Top Bottom