So...Mr. Rempe...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only one week in...some observations:

The people are nice and the product/service is not "Rocket Science"...so that is good for a mental deficient such as myself.

I have been able to generate some quotes and potential new business through my past experience in the trucking industry at large. I am working on a new account in Indianapolis, IN...not in my local territory but just someone I know who ships freight!

If any one reading this uses LTL, TL or Flatbeds to ship their freight please CALL ME so I can quote you. We also do very well in the expedited niche as well. You do not need to live in Cleveland in order for me to be your sales rep...we are a broker not a trucking company! IF you do not know what LTL or TL means then YOU should NOT be calling me!! LOL!!

Lastly, I like being back in the workforce, but, it has been a tough week for me being away from the kids this week...something a Dad doesn't usually have to struggle with since they are the ones who are usually working...but the girls have had no issues as their Mom is home now...guess it's just my problem!!. These kids really hate me!! LOL!!

So that's how the new gig is!

Call me for rates wherever you are!! THAT MEAN YOU PIT MAKERS!!! ALL OF YOU!! :D

Call Dana at Klose. Tell her you're a friend of mine(I know it's a stretch ;) ) and that I told you to call her and see if you could give her a quote. I will call her and tell her to expect your call. No guarantees...just a foot in, maybe.

Smokey_Joe said:
What's the biggest you/they ship? Will they ship vehicles?

Cars...YES...

We really have no limit...flatbeds can have over sized loads or whatever...we will get all the permits and stuff needed to do it.

Bubba, I will call the lady at Klose too! :D

Greg, I don't know if you've ever heard of them but PWG(Purity Wholesale Grocers, www.pwg-inc.com), a grocery, health and beauty, sporting goods, etc. warehouse in Lebanon, Indiana does a lot of LTL shipping. No flatbeds so not sure if that's something you'd be interested in. I worked there for several years and have remained in contact with my supervisor (inventory). I also know the plant manager and other key employees for the company. In the Lebanon Industrial park are several other companies, Time Warner/AOL distribution, Pamida, etc.

Unless things have changed, they use a lot of brokers all over the country so it might be worth giving them a call.

Well, at the info Bubba gave me I decided to spend some of the day yesterday exploring the bbq pit world and the potential for business there. Well, it does not seem good.

The biggest hang up is the "straight truck with lift gate" that is very hard for us to secure...and it is also very expensive. If they were going from Klose to "X" warehouse where there was a dock and a way to unload then this would be a whole different deal...but that isn't the way it works. You order a pit and it comes to your house via truck with gate to get it off the truck.

Just for my knowledge...if any of you have had a pit delivered to your house, how much was shipping and how did it show up to your house.

Thanks!!

My shipping for my first Klose was around $450ish I think...and they dropped it off in front of my house...literally. Don't you remember this story??? They also destroyed a neighbors tree that was hanging low over the street. Residential deliveries probably present a whole new set of problems for shippers. Hey, you may not get business from it but you might get educated to help you elsewhere...depending upon your retention rate. ;) Did you talk to Dana? You know she's Dave's sister.

Uncle Bubba said:
My shipping for my first Klose was around $450ish I think...and they dropped it off in front of my house...literally. Don't you remember this story??? They also destroyed a neighbors tree that was hanging low over the street. Residential deliveries probably present a whole new set of problems for shippers. Hey, you may not get business from it but you might get educated to help you elsewhere...depending upon your retention rate. ;) Did you talk to Dana? You know she's Dave's sister.

I never would have guessed that. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Greg Rempe said:
Well, at the info Bubba gave me I decided to spend some of the day yesterday exploring the bbq pit world and the potential for business there. Well, it does not seem good.

The biggest hang up is the "straight truck with lift gate" that is very hard for us to secure...and it is also very expensive. If they were going from Klose to "X" warehouse where there was a dock and a way to unload then this would be a whole different deal...but that isn't the way it works. You order a pit and it comes to your house via truck with gate to get it off the truck.

Just for my knowledge...if any of you have had a pit delivered to your house, how much was shipping and how did it show up to your house.

Thanks!!

The shipping cost on my last Klose was about $600. I was told by Joyce at Klose that the shipping cost was running about $.80/mile and that was three years ago. :shock:

When I was at Lang's shop, a contractor (I think that was his status) was getting ready for deliveries up near Chicago. He had a dually pulling a tilt trailer full of various sized pits.
Lang had quoted me $600 for shipping from south GA to just above Philly in 2007.

I did talk to Dana at Klose and Terry at Spicewine. Dama gave me the particulars of their shipping requirements and so did Terry at Spicewine.

I did talk to my expediter guy and he does have access to st. trucks w/ lift gates...so, what I need from you guys is some weights of your pits so I can talk with him on Monday about some ballpark prices.

Thanks!!

Here area few weigths of popular/common pits bought by BBQ Restaurants, taken from their websites

Oyler 700... 5,000 lbs
Oyler 1300... 6,600 lbs

Old Hickory CTO.. 500 lbs
Old Hickory SSO-SSI ..4,400 lbs
Old Hickory EL-ED/X.. 2,600 lbs

Southern Pride 500.. 1,700 lbs
Southern Pride 700... 2,060 lbs

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom