smoked oysters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Griff

Master Chef
A friend asked if my WSM can smoke oysters. Now I like oysters if they grew in cold water and are raw, but haven't a clue about smoking them. A search wasn't particularly helpful. Anyone ever done this ?

Griff

Griff,
I haven't done them but here is a recipe I found.
I would be willing to bet that Jim Minion has done smoked oysters.

Smoked Oysters on the Half Shell
Ingredients
• 24 oysters

Marinade:
• 45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
• 45 ml (3 tbsp) lemon juice
• 3 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
• 5 ml (1 tsp) dry mustard
• 3 ml (1/2 tsp) curry powder

Preparation
Combine marinade ingredients together in a medium size non-metallic bowl and mix well. Remove oysters from their shells. Keep at least one half shell for each oyster. Place oysters in marinade for approximately 30 minutes, turning once. Replace oysters in their half shell and add a little of the marinade to each one.

Smoking Method
Preheat the smoker to 100°C (220°F). Place the oysters in their half shells on smoker racks and using Apple flavor bisquettes smoke/cook for 40 to 60 minutes or until cooked.

To Serve
Serve hot with Tabasco sauce or Wasabe on the side.

Finney

Thanks. We're planning a Labor Day feed at my house and one of my friends was getting tired of ribs (I know, I need to rethink who my friends are. I attribute it to the fact he had to go the wagon a year ago for medical reasons and has never been the same since.) Anyway he wanted something without ribs. Another guy chimed in "Oysters, they got no ribs. Griff, can you smoke oysters?" I replied that I needed time to look into this. Hence the original post. I knew I could count on help at this board.

Thanks Finney. This recipe is a great start. I might only fine tune the spices for personal preference. I'll post some pics after Labor Day.

Griff

Just remember... I said that I have not made these.

Where is that damn Minion when you need him? Looks like he would hook a brother up with a smoked oyster recipe after stilling my WSM fire up method and renaming it "The Minion Method". 8-[

Finney said

I understand. This is not a personal endorsement. What have I got to lose -- well, maybe a dozen or so oysters. Hmmmm, wonder about smoked shrimp. My new concern is that this is shellfish we're talking about. Is a smoke going to put these guys in the temperature danger zone too long?

Griff

Griff said:
Finney said

I understand. This is not a personal endorsement. What have I got to lose -- well, maybe a dozen or so oysters. Hmmmm, wonder about smoked shrimp. My new concern is that this is shellfish we're talking about. Is a smoke going to put these guys in the temperature danger zone too long?

Griff

Naw... your cooking at 220. Something as small as an oyster is going to warm and get through that range up pretty quick.

I've done them on an ECB. Shuck them on the 1/2 shell, season with Tony C's and smoke until they get just firm. Excellent!!

I used an ECB because I refuse to put seafood on my meat grills. Seafood odor and residue is just too stubborn to me.

Good Q!

Jack

Damn Finster! =D> =D> How come that's not in the "Seafood Recipes" forum??? 8-[

Back
Top Bottom