Smoked Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pigs I don’t really do seafood. What do you think of the book? I understand you were talking with George yesterday.

Yea, Did George tell you I'm a HUGE PITA. :grin: I like the book, I would recomen it. Have you met George's brother Larry? He's a great guy too. I love it when those two get into it! Funny as hell.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Yea, Did George tell you I'm a HUGE PITA. :grin: I like the book, I would recomen it. Have you met George's brother Larry? He's a great guy too. I love it when those two get into it! Funny as hell.

My wife was the one that stopped to pick up some wood, and he mentioned to her that some guy was in and George was trying to figure out how I managed to cold smoke cheese on the pit I bought from him. He mentioned you the last time I was in and said you were a nice guy. I haven’t met Larry yet but George keeps trying to make me one of the “regularsâ€

Larry Wolfe said:
Finney said:
wittdog said:
Two hours in and no eggsplosions. I might have to play around with the time frame. I have to stop doing this stuff on nights I have to work…… Maybe I’ll let my wife finish the eggs up after all if they explode she can clean em up. :)

There you go.
If I did that... I'd come home to a note that said, "Your eggs exploded"... "Get that mess cleaned up before I get back from shopping".
8-[

"Yes Honey, I'm on it", Finney----> :eek:uch: :getbtw: <-------Yolanda "Chrissy, I told you to get them damn eggs cleaned up boy!"

Yeah Larry, you got that right!

Well the eggs have been smoking for about 3 hrs, No explosions I now think it will take the 6-9 hrs of smoking time that the book recommends. They are starting to get a nice brown color on the shell and a slight Smokey taste. But they defiantly need more smoke.

cleglue said:
Wittdog,

What is the name of the Anderson book? I've done venison summer sausage, venison salami, jerkey before. I have the sausagemaker smokehouse. The 20 lb. size.

Scroll down this link and you'll see my sausage smoking history.

http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f2/v ... orum=bbq4u

I'm still learning all of this smoking stuff.
The name of the book is Mastering the Craft of Smoking Food by Warren R. Anderson. It looks pretty good but I would recommend the Kutas book Great Sausage recipes and Meat Curing. If you own that then by all means check out the Anderson Book.

I've smoked eggs... They tasted ok, but I did em already peeled ... #-o which gave them a rubbery texture on the underside. I just cut that part off and chopped the rest up...it was for a salad anyway.

If you haven't tried it... it's worth a shot.

wittdog said:
Well the eggs have been smoking for about 3 hrs, No explosions I now think it will take the 6-9 hrs of smoking time that the book recommends. They are starting to get a nice brown color on the shell and a slight Smokey taste. But they defiantly need more smoke.

Are you serious? You brine, dry and then smoke while they're still in the shells? #-o

Larry Wolfe said:
wittdog said:

Are you serious? You brine, dry and then smoke while they're still in the shells? #-o
Yes I am serious that’s what the recipe call’s for. It’s all based on the process of osmosis. There are microscopic holes in the shells that allow the brine to get into the egg. Then as the moisture is leaving the smoke flavor permeates the egg. Thus smoking it all the way. The one I tried tasted good, and the texture was that of a regular hard boiled egg, it wasn’t rubbery like Scotty’s that he smoked with the shell off. The eggs do need a longer smoke cycle. I hope I didn’t rush the smoke in before the moisture was driven out. If I did the smoke will get hung up on the shell membrane. With the little taste I had I think these are going to be worth the effort. You can get a run down from John Pen on how they were he's coming by tomarrow.

wittdog said:
Larry Wolfe said:
wittdog said:

Yes I am serious that’s what the recipe call’s for. It’s all based on the process of osmosis. There are microscopic holes in the shells that allow the brine to get into the egg. Then as the moisture is leaving the smoke flavor permeates the egg. Thus smoking it all the way. The one I tried tasted good, and the texture was that of a regular hard boiled egg, it wasn’t rubbery like Scotty’s that he smoked with the shell off. The eggs do need a longer smoke cycle. I hope I didn’t rush the smoke in before the moisture was driven out. If I did the smoke will get hung up on the shell membrane. With the little taste I had I think these are going to be worth the effort.

Dude I believe what you're saying, I'm not discounting you at all. I know how osmosis works, but I still don't get it. If eggs have microscopic holes, why don't they ever dry out or leak?? Why doesn't the dye go through them when you color them? Again, I'm not discounting you one bit, and please don't take it that way.

Larry if I had to hazard a guess it would be because of the inner shell membrane. I think that the salt breaks down the membrane and allows the brine to reach the white and the yolks . The shell has small holes but the inner membrane is what keeps everything from leaking. I’m going to try and post a diagram of the egg from the book.

wittdog said:
Larry if I had to hazard a guess it would be because of the inner shell membrane. I think that the salt breaks down the membrane and allows the brine to reach the white and the yolks . The shell has small holes but the inner membrane is what keeps everything from leaking. I’m going to try and post a diagram of the egg from the book.

Now that makes sense! You should have said that in the first place!! LOL 8-[

wittdog said:
Larry Wolfe said:
wittdog said:

Yes I am serious that’s what the recipe call’s for. It’s all based on the process of osmosis. There are microscopic holes in the shells that allow the brine to get into the egg. Then as the moisture is leaving the smoke flavor permeates the egg. Thus smoking it all the way. The one I tried tasted good, and the texture was that of a regular hard boiled egg, it wasn’t rubbery like Scotty’s that he smoked with the shell off. The eggs do need a longer smoke cycle. I hope I didn’t rush the smoke in before the moisture was driven out. If I did the smoke will get hung up on the shell membrane. With the little taste I had I think these are going to be worth the effort. You can get a run down from John Pen on how they were he's coming by tomarrow.

All right the eggs have been smoking for about 6-7 hr. you can see the shell is becoming a nice brown color and that the white is starting to take on smoke and color. The dynamic duo and me tried one and the smoke taste is starting to come thru. The eggs are a tad salty I might adjust the brine next time.

Back
Top Bottom