Sidewalk Chalk...Important!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bubba

Executive Chef
A little girl 2 houses from my parents has been diagnosed with high levels of lead poisioning that has been attributed to lead paint in sidewalk chalk made in China. Please throw out all sidewalk chalk that your children or grandchildren may have that might have been made in China. They breathe the dust, wipe it all over themselves, lick their fingers, etc and ingest it into their system and then you have a major problem on your hands like these people do with their little girl.

Wow......thanks for sharing that info Kevin. Any chance you have the brand name of the chalk? My daughter has a big tub of Crayola I believe. I'm gonna check it out.....

No, they just said any chalk made in China should be pitched. Wonder what else these people are sending us and exposing us to...

I done told yall before, dont eat nothin from over there. Phuckin seafood has who knows what on it from china & other countries

007bond-jb said:
I done told yall before, dont eat nothin from over there. Phuckin seafood has who knows what on it from china & other countries

Cream of sum-yung-guy. Woodman buys exclusively chinese for this very reason. ;)

Seems that this is not a current story -- it was true, but the problem was taken care of four years ago.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/chalk.asp
http://searchwarp.com/swa221923.htm

There was some chalk that turned up lead in 2003. It was taken off the market. A March 2007 email warning about lead in sidewalk chalk apparently referred to the 2003 incident.

--John 8)
(I googled "sidewalk chalk warning" and looked for a while before turning up the second site referred to above. Then I went directly to snopes. It's a tip-off that it's not urgent when Google doesn't show anything until you've dug for a while.)

Tell that to the little girl's parents as she lies in a hospital bed...now. I know there was another incident in 2003 but this situation is very much right now. They are now in the process of tearing the house apart in hopes of finding additional problems but if that was the case the parents would probably be affected as well...which they aren't.

I'd still check. I don't trust the Chinese.

Tell that to Jake! And now that I think about it this is General Discussion not Barbecue so its fair game! I at least referenced the Chinese in my reply to somewhat keep the topic on point! :D :roll:

Bottom line, after the dog food scare, I stopped buying anthing and every thing that comes from China! It just not worth the risk.

Parents need to be diligent about reading labels to see where items are manufactured especially in regards to items that can be ingested or inhaled.

Thanks Kevin, to brining it to everyone's attention!

Kloset BBQR said:
Tell that to Jake! And now that I think about it this is General Discussion not Barbecue so its fair game! I at least referenced the Chinese in my reply to somewhat keep the topic on point! :D :roll:

Bottom line, after the dog food scare, I stopped buying anthing and every thing that comes from China! It just not worth the risk.

Parents need to be diligent about reading labels to see where items are manufactured especially in regards to items that can be ingested or inhaled.

Thanks Kevin, to brining it to everyone's attention!

Amen!!! Dallas for President!!!!!

Uncle Bubba said:
Tell that to the little girl's parents as she lies in a hospital bed...now. I know there was another incident in 2003 but this situation is very much right now.
Sorry, UB, I didn't mean to minimize the current problem. Her chalk might have been old or from a store that didn't heed the recall.

--John 8)
(Be wary of Chinese goods -- or should we say "bads?")

Back
Top Bottom