side firebox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottyDaQ

Master of All
Usually it's with adding a flange where the firebox meets the cooking chamber. You can do it with simple flashing. You'll also want to extended the exhaust vent down to the grate level with a tube...which can also be fashioned out of flashing. The last one I can think of is a charcoal basket to increase the burn time.

Here's some good links that discuss the mods... which are pretty much mandatory on the cheaper offsets.

http://www.geocities.com/kjz_bbq/SnP.html
http://www.bbq-porch.org/faq/07-2-2.asp

I would use it as a grill only...I've heard there is a lot of work involved to keep the temps steady on any off-set that is under $500-$600...just what I have heard :!:

Yup. ... It may be too late on your first purhase BFD, but a Charbroil, NB, or SNP, won't really give you a good feel of what it's like to cook on an offset. I'm only a WSM'er....but I've done tons of research on offsets and I've already saved myself tons of time, not to mention money....by NOT getting a cheap offset pit ... Hence, I went with the WSM until I have the "liquid" to get a ...drumrollll........
GatorPit! (click on it to see the inside)

The Budget Mobile..... For $1700 , you'll never be able to find a better pit. That's what I'm saving up for.
I'm sure that many others will chime in about Ritch's pits.

BFD,
I gotta agree with what Scotty and Greg have said above. I fought with a NB Black Diamond too long. It wouldn't hold temps to save my life. Remember the old saying, "you get what you pay for". Good luck!

Captain Morgan said:
Scotty. is the bottom grate 3 feet by 4 feet on that thing?
The Gator or the Char?
The gator has "Apprx. 2000 sq. cooking inches. 1/4" thick wall x 24" diameter x 48" long single door food chamber, two removable food racks, SS temperature gauge, SS handles, adjustable smoke stack, full length steel font shelf. Offset pipe firebox is 1/4" thick wall x 24" diameter x 24" diameter, locking side ash door, adjustable air-intake vent, SS handle, removable angle framed charcoal/wood grate. Trailer is 4' x 6' trailer, all steel constructed, expanded metal floor, 1 7/8" ball coupler, screw jack, steel side rails, 2000 lbs single axle with 12" white wheels, steel fenders, complete light kit"

Scotty,

Have you considered other type of pits besides an offset, e.g. an upright. The more I see and read the more I am convinced that unless you have some overwhelming desire to play with fire and to tend to a pit than you should give an upright a look.

If I was seriously looking at upgrading from a WSM I would give Stumps a serious look before I made the jump to an offset. www.stumpssmokers.com
Not affiliated in any way shape or form.

I think Gator and Klose make a fine pit and I have seen both up close and they are the top of the line in offsets, but they are some work. For backyarding and cooking for smaller groups, uprights, IMHO, are the way to go, they hold temps well, similar fuel consumption to a WSM, excellent food capacity.

i have a char-griller w/sfb and the only mod i made was a charcoal basket.

I have never had problems with low temps and i use a digital therm at grate level placed on the center grate. This is with using Kingsford charcoal. With the charcoal basket i have gotten steady burns at 225-250 for 5 hours on one load of fuel using the minion method. I also invert the charcoal pan and raise it to its highest setting to allow heat to flow under it and provide more even temp

img_19119_0_71e49dd3128bee04d9140cb5a1509275.jpg

BFD
You can tune the pit by adding the baffle at the fire box and adding a series of flat plates(6" to 8" wide) the lenght of the horizonal. You but the first plate up against the baffle and then the up to the first and so on. You can leave a small gap 1/4" between the plates to allow heat and smoke as needed to even out the pit temps. In a small pit like your talking about it will help but on larger offsets tuning plates or tubes are mandatory.
These plates will set a few inches below the bottom grate.
Jim

Burnt Food Dude said:
Thanks for the info. The fire basket will definately be a good up grade.

Why should I extend the exhaust stack down? Keeps more heat in?

Yup, and smoke.
You may want to at least do the flashing where the firebox meets the cooking chamber....if not doing the tuning plates like Jim said. You're going to see a big hot spot where the two chambers join. Most everyone I've seen...mods that part of that pit.

Back
Top Bottom