Searching for a pit.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleP

Sous Chef
Well after searching around the net for a smoker that will allow me to sleep but can cook enough meat for comps, my eye is focused on a Stumps Smoker. Does anyone own or know anyone who uses them? Or do you have any smokers that you like that I should consider? After last week, "my first comp" I cant get it out of my mind. Im hooked but as my brother said, we dont want to go to a drag race driving a Pinto again. Not that my WSM and others dont cook well, I just want to use something that might be able to be used for catering too. I know that I could buy more Bullets, but I want a bigger smoker. The bullet is fine for home, it just isnt BIG enough. And I have this pit envy thing going on too.

Its nice to have a place to ask questions like this. So bring it on.
Thanks.
Dale

I think Stumps is a good idea...they are a tad expensive but I think it is well worth it! I have been thinking about getting the GF222-CM for a while now...4 racks and it will hold temp for a nice long time!

If you haven't yet, take a listen to the Stumps Podcast. Joby and Stumps are GREAT guys!! I'm sure they would be happy to take your order...also, look at their website...they have a forum as well!! :D

I've heard nothing but good things from Stumps owners about that cooker. I think Stumps is the way to go for added capacity plus that "almost" set it and forget it mode many are searching for.

I think there are definite mods that should be ordered if you go with a Stumps. Most of the almost mandatory ones can be gleened from the owners bulletin board on the Stumps site.

Great podcast, and I think Finney has done quite a bit of research on the Stumps. When his wife lets him, perhaps he will chime in.

Captain Morgan said:
Great podcast, and I think Finney has done quite a bit of research on the Stumps. When his wife lets him, perhaps he will chime in.
Yeah, I've looked at them for a while now and I'll say if I was buying right now that it would be a Stump's with gravity fuel feed (GF models). I'll tell you, I used to hate :vent: the look of the "BOX COOKERS". But then I started looking at them with an engineering eye and the box slowly became beautiful. 8-[ They hold temps better than your oven (your oven, not mine :razz: ) and are miserly on fuel usage.
I've offered to let Joby send me a unit for reviewing... but so far no reply to my offer. :) Come on Joby. :hug:

ive had a few adult beverages tonight and am kinda slow, but when you say that the usage on charcoal is miserly, is that like uses too much?

I found a pit that is cheap enough for what you get from Diamond Plate Products. I still like the idea of the Stumps but 8 weeks to get one isnt something that appeals to my got to have it now attitude. Im not sold on any but I want it NOW! =P~

Dale, just one piece of advice. I understand the got it have it now feeling but
sometimes it's worth the 8 week wait. You're going to have the pit for a long time. Get the one you want or you'll regret it later. 8 weeks will come and go and then you'll kick yourself for not getting it. There is generally a reason for waiting lists. Those companies generally produce a superior product.

Good luck with your decision!

Dale...it has been my experience in custom pits that a wait right now for the bigger companies out there is 8 weeks or so...maybe Ritch or Jay could jump in on that.

The question I would ask myself is this...if Klose and Stumps and Gator and Spicewine Smokers are at 8 weeks out and "Brand X" isn't, why is that?? It is not a slow time for pit builders so I would be careful.

The get it now attitude will get you nothing but trouble when it comes to smokers. Be cool and make the right decision...this is something you will have for years to come!!

Thanks guys and you all are right. Drinking cheap beer at a party last night almost had me buying something I didnt really want. There are a couple of comps that I want to enter that are sooner than I could get my pit. Oh well, I can wait, unless im drunk. Another problem that really can be worked out is between my Brother and I. Not a bad problem but we are talking about going in half on everything, but in the back of my mind, I want to keep it at my place and Im sure he feels the same. I say buy 2. Problem solved!

The search is over. We bought a used pit. The guy 'made us an offer we couldnt refuse'. Needs a little work but the guy won lots of awards with it plus it is big enough to vend with. He bought a new $15,000 pit and his wife made him sell this pit, which we were the first to answer his ad.

I have only seen a pic of the beast and I was sold. I gave my brother half of the money, he took off and bought it yesterday, and he has been cooking butts at the lake house since last night. My family and I are getting ready to go there so I can be intoduced to the beast.

I know how it is buying anything with someone but I think this will be OK. I have more space at my home than my bro and he ASKED if I mind keeping it here. Ha! Twist my arm would ya! Plus I have tools needed to fix and clean it up.

I was sold on a Stumps Smoker but this deal was too good to pass.
Thanks for listening.

It "THE BEAST" is on the driveway, needs cleaning but we are pleased so far. It will take us some getting used to before we are comp ready with the beast. We had trouble keeping temps up for a while but finally we started getting there. Time will tell wether I will order a Stumps or not. Pics should be up soon. Soon as I can that is.

We did serve the best brisket I have ever tried from the beast. That has got to help our score at comps. Butts were good too. The problem was our timing. WAAAAY off. But that can be fixed. [-o<

Back
Top Bottom