Sausage Gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john a

Executive Chef
Fry up some sausage and set aside, leave any drippings in the pan. With today's sausage drippings are very little. Add cooking oil and flour to make a roux, follow up with milk and simmer for a few minutes. Add the sausage back and let simmer for a minute or two. If it thickens too much add a little milk. Pile this on a couple of biscuits and you're ready to eat. I prefer it on home fries.

JOhn you could make a grown woman with a sincere appreciation for food cry with those pictures they are so beautiful.

*sniff*

That is southern cooking at it's best. I have never had an issue with not having enough fat from the sausage but I pan fry.

That's the way I make gravy but I don't add the sausage back in.

If you pour the gravy over some biscuits and top with a dose of pepper then you will have one of my favorites. :D

wdroller said:
John A, try this sometime. Everything the same as above except use bulk Italian sausage, and after cooking the sausage and making the roux, deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup of good drinking sherry. And, of course, use whole milk. Salt and pepper to taste at the end.

Sounds like a plan. My butcher grinds up several variaties of bulk sausage, italian is one of them.

Thank you

Oh boy John, that pumped my BP up to 150/110 just by looking at the pics. Thanks for posting them. LOOKS great.

Now if you lived out around Alpine, TX...if you happened to top them tates and gravy with some tomater ketchup...you would have whut is commonly called a Sul Ross Sundae. Real popular item on the menu at the local Dairy Queen from whut I heard.

bigwheel

John A. said:
Fry up some sausage and set aside, leave any drippings in the pan. With today's sausage drippings are very little. Add cooking oil and flour to make a roux, follow up with milk and simmer for a few minutes. Add the sausage back and let simmer for a minute or two. If it thickens too much add a little milk. Pile this on a couple of biscuits and you're ready to eat. I prefer it on home fries.

Back
Top Bottom