salmon fishing in Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Griff

Master Chef
Last week my wife, 35 year old son and myself visited my brother-in-law who lives in King Cove, AK. Underneath the line is an email my son sent to his buddies. Under the next line is some more pics from me.

Well, I just got back from a trip to visit my uncle. I know, doesn't sound very exciting, but in this case my uncle lives in Western Alaska. Specifically, a small town called King Cove. The end of the earth, some have called it:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?se ... K&zipcode=

(zoom out a few notches)

I used to commercial fish out there back when I was in college, but this was going to be a trip simply to visit and maybe do some fishing. The trip started out bad, with us arriving at the airport for the town of Cold Bay to find out that the weather ( http://www.wsu.edu/~rgriffin/coldbay.JPG ) was too poor for us to get into King Cove (the only access is by plane or boat). Further, my parents’ luggage had failed to arrive.

The next day was nicer, though­enough visibility to fly and the wind had dropped to about 25 mph. We got into King Cove and prepared to spend time in bear country. This is my uncle’s front door: http://www.wsu.edu/~rgriffin/bearhouse.JPG . Yes, that is a door frame damaged by a bear. We tested a new addition to our “bear defenseâ€

It is pretty country. It's way out on the tip of the Alaska Peninsula. Another 30 miles west and you'd be in the Aleutian Islands. It's on the other side of the tree line. No trees grow there not because of temperature or elevation but because of wind.

Griff

Griff,

Thanks for the pictures. They are great. We will be doing an 11 day cruise (7nights)/land tour(4nights) next August. Thanks for wetting my appetite.

Jeff,

What cruise line did you go on? We are going on Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas. We have a corner aft cabin on Deck 10. The land part of the trip is on a glass domed train. I've been wanting to do this for years. This year we finally booked it!

Man, what a great photo story. I almost felt the river rushing around my feet as I read the post. Thanks for sharing!
1.gif

Jeff,

Thanks for posting the pictures. They are spectacular! How many hours of daylight did you experience in the summer there? Should I expect 18-20 hours of daylight or is that only further north. Thanks again.

BTW, good thing you didn't go in the winter. Based on your avatar I'm sure you would have at least been tempted to lick that totem pole! :grin:

Oh yeah, babe!! Great pics!! I can feel the chill in the air from here! Actually, I can ~ Was 50 here this morning.. 8-[ Your picture taking capabilities are pretty good there, Jeff!! :(

Smokeflyfisher

We were using a combo of spinning rods and level winds and tossing hardware -- 7/8 oz. Pixies and #4 Vibrax spinners. They didn't seem to be particular about color. I would have preferred fly fishing and had my three piece Winston 8 wt. along but it was just too damned windy. Last year I fly fished the same spot with purple flash flies and egg sucking leaches. Oddly, I was hooking up more dogs (chum salmon) than silvers. I was going to try a Jerry Garcia this year but didn't want to fight the wind. I guess that means I'll have to go back next year.

Griff

Griff said:
I was going to try a Jerry Garcia this year but didn't want to fight the wind. I guess that means I'll have to go back next year.

Griff
What a drag!! :grin: :grin: :!:

Smoke

I do use the Winston and have caught a lot of salmon and steelhead on it. I just didn't use it last week because of the 25 -35 mph winds. Best part is I didn't have to buy it. My hunting and fishing buddy over the last 25 years used to run a lodge on the Kvichak River. Four, or so, years ago he called and was short a sports fishing guide for a week in September. I have a sport fishing guide license but never use it. So I traded a week helping a buddy for a new Winston flyrod. Actually Winston gives guides a MAJOR discount. BTW, that particular week while guiding sports I caught a 32 inch rainbow.

Griff

Jeez, Dad, I send you an email and you go and post it on a board and everything!

Glad you all like the pictures. It was an excellent trip!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom