Saccharum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I took the family to a Homestead festival last year and purchased some Saccharum syrup that was being produced in the old fashioned way, Donkey and everything.

It was a very interesting process to watch and I remember seeing it done exactly the same way when I was very young.

I know that it has an aquired taste. I don't think I will be putting it on pancakes but I thought it might be good to use in making bbq sauces or a mops.

Any Ideas ?

I have helped make Sorghum molasses twice at a friend's Dad's house. He grew the cane and used the PTO on his tractor and a cane press (not sure what the device is called) to extract the syrup from the cane. We cooked it (over a wood fire) all day in a stainless steel vat measuring about 10 feet by 3 feet and 6 or 7 inches deep skimming off the impurities all day.

This stuff is excellent mixed with butter and put on biscuits. It is also good in baked beans. Try some in some homemade BBQ sauce.

Puff,

The donkey is harnessed to the cane press to turn the cane press so that the syrup can be extracted from the cane. The donkey just goes around and around and around. The is usually someone making molasses at the North Carolina State Fair every year. My friends Dad used his PTO (power take off) on the tractor to turn the cane press on the molasses we made.

cleglue said:
Puff,

The donkey is harnessed to the cane press to turn the cane press so that the syrup can be extracted from the cane. The donkey just goes around and around and around. The is usually someone making molasses at the North Carolina State Fair every year. My friends Dad used his PTO (power take off) on the tractor to turn the cane press on the molasses we made.
I figured it was something like that.
Thanks Cleglue ;)

We had neighbors growing up in Georgia who made cane syrup using either a horse, mule, donkey, or tractor. It was really neat to watch them. There was a cane brake on my grandmother's land and my dad would go get some and then cut it into pieces for my sister and me to chew on like candy. It wasn't the best thing I've ever tasted! I noticed our local Walmart carries it. They don't carry cane syrup and I wish they did! I love using it in my bbq sauce and some other recipes. When I go home to Georgia, that's one of the things I pick up to bring back.

Back
Top Bottom