Resturant rip-offs - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
Rag
BBQ Centralite
 
Rag's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Berks Cty, Pa.
Posts: 3,020
Resturant rip-offs

Went to a local Yuppie restaurant last week with the Queen. We each had a salad (a lame one at that) and a glass of draft beer. The bill came to $45.00 plus tip. Holy crap !!
Then my son tells me he ate with a group at Olive Garden and one of the party ordered a whiskey. They charged him $2.00 for ice in the drink.
And these places whine about business dropping off.
__________________

__________________
Sleeps till done
Gasser
Weber Kettle (it's crap...gave away)
WSM 22.5
Meadow Creek TS250 (sold)
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Web Celeb
 
Greg Rempe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 8,177
I doubt that the Olive Garden charged for ice in the drink.
__________________

__________________
Host of The BBQ Central Radio Show
www.thebbqcentralshow.com
Greg Rempe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Pope O'Que


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Rempe
I doubt that the Olive Garden charged for ice in the drink.
Either way I cant stand Olive Garden.........Actually I cant stand any Italian food thats not home made, and i'm not even Italian.
__________________
One of the best things about my hobby is that my family and friends are fed well.
Member #1462
BBQ ........So easy a caveman could do it.....?

Never look your best friend in the eye while your makin' sausage.
dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Cliff H.'s Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas
Posts: 6,143
All you can eat catfish is the only thing worth those prices.
__________________
" Never let a day go by "
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
007bond-jb's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Baton Rouge La
Posts: 6,428
The "grand sons of italy" describe real italian cookin,
google it they have a You tube video,

I will post a link in the BR.

Restaurants are rip off joints
__________________
BBQ Shaken Not Stirred
He who don't cook, better not complain
Why limit happy to an hour
Yes beer qualifies as an appetizer


BOY!

https://www.youtube.com/user/007bondjb
007bond-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
Rag
BBQ Centralite
 
Rag's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Berks Cty, Pa.
Posts: 3,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Rempe
I doubt that the Olive Garden charged for ice in the drink.
You are wrong. He had 2 drinks...the first neat and the second one with ice and it had 2 bucks added for the ice.
__________________
Sleeps till done
Gasser
Weber Kettle (it's crap...gave away)
WSM 22.5
Meadow Creek TS250 (sold)
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Does neat mean straight? If so that boy drinks just like I used to back in the old sinning days. Now I tell a restaurant rip off is ice tea. All it is is brown water and costs 2 bucks most times. I just order water. Now I aint like the cheapskate Baptists who order a bunch of lemon slices and try to make lemonade out of it.

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
BBQ NOOB
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cen. Calif.
Posts: 32
And to state the obvious, my stuff just plain taste better

And for what they charge for a few drinks I can get a bottle of good scotch, Whats up with that??
DavidT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
Pope O'Que


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
"Now I aint like the cheapskate Baptists who order a bunch of lemon slices and try to make lemonade out of it."
bigwheel
Im not sure if thats directed at someone here or
__________________
One of the best things about my hobby is that my family and friends are fed well.
Member #1462
BBQ ........So easy a caveman could do it.....?

Never look your best friend in the eye while your makin' sausage.
dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
BBQ Central College
 
monty3777's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Iowa, Italy - in my heart and my blood!
Posts: 407
Re: Resturant rip-offs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag
Went to a local Yuppie restaurant last week with the Queen. We each had a salad (a lame one at that) and a glass of draft beer. The bill came to $45.00 plus tip. Holy crap !!
Lemme get this straight. You ordered a salad???????
__________________
Horizon 24" offset
WSM
CharBroil Commercial Gas
Brinkmann Pitmaster

If there's a new way...I'll be the first in line...but it better work this time!
monty3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:33 PM   #11
Pope O'Que


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,416
I think I gotcha beat....Today Mcormicks and Schmick - 2 kids ate free - I didnt eat, 1 order calamari $10 - $11.00 appetizer - 3 beers for me & wife had a salmon somthin w/tea & a creme' brulet' / brulea' (you know what i mean) ....long story short...$59-. for 1 paying person = BS. I was so pissed..... dont get me goin on this.
__________________
One of the best things about my hobby is that my family and friends are fed well.
Member #1462
BBQ ........So easy a caveman could do it.....?

Never look your best friend in the eye while your makin' sausage.
dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
Rag
BBQ Centralite
 
Rag's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Berks Cty, Pa.
Posts: 3,020
Sorry about the salad....I shouldn't have put that in there

Restaurants are like the government. Times are bad they raise taxes. Restaurants loose business, they cut back on food and raise prices screwing the remaining customers.
__________________
Sleeps till done
Gasser
Weber Kettle (it's crap...gave away)
WSM 22.5
Meadow Creek TS250 (sold)
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #13
BBQ Central Pro
 
cflatt's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 792
I have a friend in Jersey that is an alcohol buyer for a handful of restaurants. Normal markup is 300% on alcohol. Guess they have to make their money somewhere.
__________________
What is the difference between a southern zoo and a northern Zoo?
...The southern Zoo has a description of the animal and a recipe.

Curtis
cflatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
Rag
BBQ Centralite
 
Rag's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Berks Cty, Pa.
Posts: 3,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflatt
I have a friend in Jersey that is an alcohol buyer for a handful of restaurants. Normal markup is 300% on alcohol. Guess they have to make their money somewhere.
The mark up on ice is way higher.
__________________
Sleeps till done
Gasser
Weber Kettle (it's crap...gave away)
WSM 22.5
Meadow Creek TS250 (sold)
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:53 AM   #15
BBQ Central Pro


 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lindenhurst, NY
Posts: 994
I'll try to avoid the buzzsaw here for the most part....

1) you didnt get charged for ice, you got charged extra because a neat drink has more booze in the glass than a drink with ice,, been a topic of conversation in my city for the last couple of weeks

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04222009/ne ... 165615.htm

2) Most restaurants are barely hanging on these days, with many well known places just going out of business.. one can argue that they deserve to go out of business, in that the excess money that was floating around for the last few years just isnt there, so their business model got blown out of the water without the free spending people around to support them... surely gone are the Wall St. $75 hamburgers, and $150 steak dinners at places like the Kobe Club in NYC...Delmonico's, one of the oldest restaurants in NYC used to average over 200 lunches a day , now only serves between 40-60 lunches a day.. Venerable institutions like the 21 Cluyb in NYC has even relaxed their " Men must wear a coat and tie to get in" policy...


3) Fixed costs don't go down, rent, electric, gas, water, manditory municipal insepctions such as fire inspections, building inspections, ansel systems etc, taxes, taxes, and more taxes are all going up ....you'd call me a liar if I told you how much an ansel system inspection costs in NYC..

4) single establishment restaurants do not have the buying power to strong arm vendors into lowering their prices, so, in order to even keep up, they reduce portion size, hopefully not pissing off the customers too much...it is only of late that wholesale food costs are starting to go down...

5) 2 kids eating free, probably worth $15 on a menu other than McDonalds
3 beers, $15
salmon dinner $15-$17
appy $10
iced tea $2
and a Creme Brulee ,probably $5-$6

probably a $60 value, plus you got to get out of the house, and spend time with the family in a nice place, nice atmosphere, and at Mcormicks and Schmick, a well known, quality, restaurant

Moral of the story.... know going out that it's gunna cost ya, so what I do when i get edgey with money, or think a place is a rip off.. I stay home
__________________
Aim for Sucess, not perfection
Good Country, This America
Bobberqer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:31 AM   #16
Master of All
 
ScottyDaQ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In ur house, eatin ur foodz.
Posts: 7,490
I never get ice. I'd rather have more soda.
__________________
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker ?
Weber 22.5 One Touch Gold ?
Weber Smokey Joe Gold ?

Weber Grill Decency Agent # KTL9352
ScottyDaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
Rag
BBQ Centralite
 
Rag's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Berks Cty, Pa.
Posts: 3,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobberqer
I'll try to avoid the buzzsaw here for the most part....

1) you didnt get charged for ice, you got charged extra because a neat drink has more booze in the glass than a drink with ice,, been a topic of conversation in my city for the last couple of weeks

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04222009/ne ... 165615.htm

2) Most restaurants are barely hanging on these days, with many well known places just going out of business.. one can argue that they deserve to go out of business, in that the excess money that was floating around for the last few years just isnt there, so their business model got blown out of the water without the free spending people around to support them... surely gone are the Wall St. $75 hamburgers, and $150 steak dinners at places like the Kobe Club in NYC...Delmonico's, one of the oldest restaurants in NYC used to average over 200 lunches a day , now only serves between 40-60 lunches a day.. Venerable institutions like the 21 Cluyb in NYC has even relaxed their " Men must wear a coat and tie to get in" policy...


3) Fixed costs don't go down, rent, electric, gas, water, manditory municipal insepctions such as fire inspections, building inspections, ansel systems etc, taxes, taxes, and more taxes are all going up ....you'd call me a liar if I told you how much an ansel system inspection costs in NYC..

4) single establishment restaurants do not have the buying power to strong arm vendors into lowering their prices, so, in order to even keep up, they reduce portion size, hopefully not pissing off the customers too much...it is only of late that wholesale food costs are starting to go down...

5) 2 kids eating free, probably worth $15 on a menu other than McDonalds
3 beers, $15
salmon dinner $15-$17
appy $10
iced tea $2
and a Creme Brulee ,probably $5-$6

probably a $60 value, plus you got to get out of the house, and spend time with the family in a nice place, nice atmosphere, and at Mcormicks and Schmick, a well known, quality, restaurant

Moral of the story.... know going out that it's gunna cost ya, so what I do when i get edgey with money, or think a place is a rip off.. I stay home
Well put;.....I see your point and the establishment's point.
What I have trouble with is being made to fell like a fool. Listing ice for $2 and the big one of slow service in hopes of ordering more rounds of drinks, and the killer of having parties sit in the bar area waiting for a table for 45 minutes past res.-time while a 1/3 of the tables open.
That kills any chance of return business.
By the way, what are you doing these days....it's been a while since I heard who's kitchen you are terrorizing.
__________________
Sleeps till done
Gasser
Weber Kettle (it's crap...gave away)
WSM 22.5
Meadow Creek TS250 (sold)
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #18
Pope O'Que


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobberqer
1) you didnt get charged for ice, you got charged extra because a neat drink has more booze in the glass than a drink with ice,, been a topic of conversation in my city for the last couple of weeks
Not sure if I agree with that....

Drinks are supposed to be mixed by the shot glass or oz. not by how much ice is in the glass. If anything there's more soda or water in the drink than there is alcohol ( in most cases..haha ) right?
__________________
One of the best things about my hobby is that my family and friends are fed well.
Member #1462
BBQ ........So easy a caveman could do it.....?

Never look your best friend in the eye while your makin' sausage.
dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #19
BBQ Central Pro


 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lindenhurst, NY
Posts: 994
By the way, what are you doing these days....it's been a while since I heard who's kitchen you are terrorizing


terrorizing?? I resemble that remark!!!!!
__________________
Aim for Sucess, not perfection
Good Country, This America
Bobberqer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #20
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Well I dont have much expuriences in bars of course..but in this part o the world from whut I heard...you get the same amount of hooch in either a shooter or a mixed drink and for the same price. Knew there was some reason I don't live in Noo Yawk City. Making it in the restaurant bizness has always been a mounumental feat. Far back as I can remember they had the lowest survival rate of any bizness a entreprenural type might choose to try. I tell ya where the big money is and that be the shoe shine bizness. Fella over at the big car wash got one set up and claims to knock down 3 or 4 hundred dollars a day with supplies being a miniscule part of the operation. Mostly cash money so the guv'ment...Prez Osama and Nancy Polosie find it hard to track to come take it away. If I didnt have a bad back I might give it a try.

bigwheel
__________________

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×