Restaurants in NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toby Keil

Executive Chef
Myself and a few coworkers be traveling to NYC June 16th – 20th for a conference and I need to find some good restaurants in the area of our hotel that is located at 210 W 55th Street. They can be good places for breakfast, lunch, deli, BBQ, client friendly place, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

not quite sure I know every place in NY.. that would be a tall order :shock: but I'll give you all the help you will need

Start learning the Subway system... will save you time and money

go to hopstop.com.. put your hotel address in there as starting point, than pick a destination address for an ending point, and that website will get ya there.. for example Chelsea Market where the Food Network is.. is at the corner of 9th ave and 16th st .. enter that just as I type it .. it will tell you how to get there by subway, or how long and how much by cab...

we'll have to talk.. a list is useless unless a I know what you like..

running out the day I'll be in touch

cover-rev01a.jpg

I saw an episode of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations where he went here for the best steak in New York. From the looks of it inside, I thought to myself "If I ever get in the area this is a steak I would not want to miss."
Peter Lugar Steak House

Peter Luger, Inc.
178 Broadway
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11211
Reservations:
(718) 387-7400

I hear you need to make reservations however. :cry:

BchrisL said:
cover-rev01a.jpg

I saw an episode of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations where he went here for the best steak in New York. From the looks of it inside, I thought to myself "If I ever get in the area this is a steak I would not want to miss."
Peter Lugar Steak House

Peter Luger, Inc.
178 Broadway
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11211
Reservations:
(718) 387-7400

Reservation list is a month long! Sposed to be one of the best though! They don't take credit cards either. Just cash!

Woodman said:
BchrisL said:
cover-rev01a.jpg

Peter Lugar Steak House

Peter Luger, Inc.
178 Broadway
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11211
Reservations:
(718) 387-7400

Reservation list is a month long! Sposed to be one of the best though! They don't take credit cards either. Just cash!

They accept the Peter Luger credit card, but that is the only one.

Peter Lugers is in Brooklyn.. a long cab ride from where you are staying.. but.. would be worth the time and effort.. I'm pretty sure you can get reso's there without much problem.. it''s actually a restaurant that has a lot of character .. not sure they even swept the floor in the last 100 years, but.. its all part of the charnm of the place ... looks like an old German Gasthaus in side...

steakplaces are a dime a dozen..

in Manhattan I'd go to the Old Homestead..place is over a 100 years old. quick train ride to 14th st in the 2-3 train

or you could take the same train and go ot Tom Colleccio's place, CraftSteak which is only 1 block away,

or up in your neighborhood, there's the Palm on 2nd Ave and 44th st , another very old restaurant

or Smith and Wollenskys on 49th and 3rd which has an awning that says Since 1977(or 78).. when I saw that in 1977(78) i thought it looked kind silly, but they lasted through it all

all of em are top shelf places, great wine lists, expensive, crappy service, stuffy waiters, but hey, It's NYC :shock:

more later

Barbecue places

Brother Jimmys... www.brotherjimmys.com there's 5 of em in NYC.. chopped brisket and pulled pork are really good with all round good food, drinks flow easily, appys are real good , prices very reasonable. let me know if you go to one of em, I'll set ya up ;)

Rub is good,, 23rd st, between 7th n 8th ave... take the 1-2-3 train to 23rd st station chopped brisket is good there...http://www.rubbbq.net/

Daisy Mays.. 46th n 11th ave... great place, order the beef ribs.. no subway from your hotel so take a cab.. you'll not be dissapointed. if you are going to take clients, order the pig... http://www.daisymaysbbq.com/bigpig.html

Blue Smoke.. 27th between Park n Lexington... take the 4-5-6 train n get off at 28th st....another good place to take clients.. Jazz club downstairs.. service is great and the food is good, wide variety on the menu...http://www.bluesmoke.com/blue/index.html

Dinosaur... great wings, ribs, n pulled pork... really fun place and worth the effort to go there 1 train to 125th st...http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/nycIndex.php

there's a few more around, but this oughta do for a 5 day trip lol

Nathans is good, but it will take you over an hour on the subway to get there, and ya gotta speak Russian in that neck of the woods :shock:

Try these places..... I'd definately give the Shake Shack a visit.. the burgers are to die for.. a hamburger posting will follow b4 you get here.. be warned there are very very ver long lines to get food so go early

1. Gray’s Papaya
Slim and snappy, the best of the papaya posse.
402 Sixth Ave., at 8th St.; 212-260-3532

2. Katz’s
Classic deli dog, classic deli setting.
205 E. Houston st., at Ludlow St.; 212-254-2246

3. Shake Shack take the 1-2-3 train to 23rd st its on 23rd and Madison, right in the middle of the park
Dressed-to-the-nines Chicago style.
in Madison Square Park

4. F&B
Fancy-pants Euro-dogs in many guises.
269 W. 23rd St., nr. Eighth Ave.; 646-486-4441

5. Hallo Berlin Pushcart This one is close to your hotel
A street-food frank you can eat without signing a living will.
Fifth Ave. at 54th St.

6.Westville
210 W 10th St , New York , NY , 10014-6411
Happy Americana--grilled corn, hot dogs and cobbler--in a perfectly charming West Village cafe.

7.F & B
269 W 23rd St , New York , NY , 10011-2302
Hot dogs and other fast-food eats become Euro-chic treats.

or find a cart with the dirtiest water , and have one of them.. Dirty water dogs rock!!!

btw call me 63143155ate7 ;)

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I just found out I now only have two nights in NY. Fly out next Tues on a 7:45am flight and return home at 10:45 on Thursday which will get me home close to midnight...fun times huh. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom