Response to Jay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodman1

Executive Chef
With all due respect to Greg who did the right thing by locking the thread on pits that was degenerating into a mudslinging festival, I feel that I have to respond to Jay's comments (Spice). While the tone and demeanor had gotten out of hand on that thread, I think that having the honest opinions of folks who actually use these pits/cookers is precisely the purpose of these type of forums. If folks are going to spend anywhere from $1000 to $30,000 on a cooker, they ought to have an open forum to ask the questions. It is true that the BBQ cooked on a trashcan is just as good as that cooked on a $20,000 pit. The trashcan, however, will decay and rot. It will not hold resale value either. I personally, take the time to e-mail or pm folks who are interested with my opinions. I get a phone call from someone at least once a week who is seeking my advice on buying a pit. I've told them to buy a Klose, buy a Gator, look at Bates, look at Spicewine. It depends on what they want and can afford. I like Ritchie, I like Dave, I like you (though we have not met.) Actually, I have met BBQmmm and Uncle Bubba is on my cooking team. They are more "convicted" in their opinions than most! I was 10 minutes away from buying a Gator and those two convinced me to go Klose. I've never regretted the move. If BBQmmm does not follow the forum rules, then ban him, not the debate. (Sorry John!) This thing springs up every two years. I guess it is always Gator V Klose because they are 10 miles apart, and they are the largest presence in offsets. I do see that there is a guy in Peoria making pits that look alot like Klose's now. I've heard his are better than either.......... #-o #-o

Dave, thanks for the post! I appreciate the BBQ OEMS who took the time to do a podcast with me. This is a great way to get in touch with the market and let them know all about you and your BBQ Pits...Having that tool along with the freedom to properly discuss pits in an open forum is vital especially when so much money is being spent!

This thread WILL NOT degenerate back to which pit is better than which...TRUST ME!

Please test me on this and I will be more than happy to start rolling out the "BAN" mobile!! :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

well Woody you are right...I like this forum because of no sponsors and the ability to speak freely...which is exactly why it was created and why
it has flourished in it's first year. However, anyone who states opinion as fact and gets their panties in a wad because someone else has a different
opinion, is not doing anyone any good. I have no idea where this debate started...I think it's gone over several boards over the past couple of years, with mainly the same combatants.

Speak freely, but act like an adult.

Life is too short. Enjoy it while you can. Use what you like and enjoy it. Hug your wife and kids everyday and remember you are the adult.
Man I feel like my life just got a second chance and all I got is 3 ECBs, ONE WSM, one plain ol kettle, a Smokie Mountain gas cooker given to me which I have yet to try and a Charbroil gasser that is on natural gas which came with the house when I bought it. It is OK, love not messing with the tanks now, but it has one very hot spot.
I do appreciate this site and all the work that goes into it. I dont want it screwed up either. I dont know if I ever thanked you or not Greg but thanks again just in case.

DaleP said:
Life is too short. Enjoy it while you can. Use what you like and enjoy it. Hug your wife and kids everyday and remember you are the adult.

So true. I'm also a pipe smoker and I read a pipe forum. Holy $hit, several well known guys have passed away recently. Talk about coming back to reality.

I love this board because it doesn't matter what you're cooking on, if you like it than it's fine.

Woodman said:
to Chris, you are only 15? Well, it is a tribute to your maturity that I did not even suspect that! It is cool that you like Floyd too. Try listening to some Yes as well. Woody

Was going to respond to this but the thread was locked. Which was good because it was getting way out of hand.
Yes Woodman only 15. I love the old stuff; Zeppelin, Stones, the Who, little cash, Skynyrd, AC/DC, Sabbath, aerosmith, gilmour's solo stuff, and the list goes on. I also like Yes i got on of their greatest hits a few years ago for christmas that like a lot. Might have to look into some of their stuff. Floyd is my all time favorite. I dont see much talent in much of the newer bands.
I did not post my age until about a month ago because sometimes when people see the younger age they will not take you seriously. This is not the case here or some of the other boards. But when my family used to breed reptiles when my dad and i did shows were we would sell our animals some people would not ask me questions or not take me seriously because I am a kid. And i would hate this because i could tell you all you needed to know about them.

Chris

We're glad to have you here Chris your going to be an incredible BBQ master by the time you're Woodmans age. That means you have an awful lot of work ahead of you. :!:

chris1237 said:
Woodman said:
to Chris, you are only 15? Well, it is a tribute to your maturity that I did not even suspect that! It is cool that you like Floyd too. Try listening to some Yes as well. Woody

Was going to respond to this but the thread was locked. Which was good because it was getting way out of hand.
Yes Woodman only 15. I love the old stuff; Zeppelin, Stones, the Who, little cash, Skynyrd, AC/DC, Sabbath, aerosmith, gilmour's solo stuff, and the list goes on. I also like Yes i got on of their greatest hits a few years ago for christmas that like a lot. Might have to look into some of their stuff. Floyd is my all time favorite. I dont see much talent in much of the newer bands.
I did not post my age until about a month ago because sometimes when people see the younger age they will not take you seriously. This is not the case here or some of the other boards. But when my family used to breed reptiles when my dad and i did shows were we would sell our animals some people would not ask me questions or not take me seriously because I am a kid. And i would hate this because i could tell you all you needed to know about them.

Chris
Chris, you have to check out the old Metallica :!:
Skynyrd is the stuff :eek:
No talent in the newer bands :eek:
Now i'm taking you seriously,what do you consider new bands?

Puff Ill check out old Metallica. My friend has their first album that I like. I have to see if he'll let me copy it. I consider the new bands are the the ones that formed about 95ish-present. Very little of the stuff I hear on the radio is ok. Still would not spend money on them. The newest band I listen to is probably Guns n' Roses and I think their first album appetitie for distruction came out in 87?
My brother likes a lot of the new punk bands like yellow card, artaries or what ever the hell they are called ect. and I cant stand them and he hates my music. With his stuff it is short 3 min songs with alot of singing and very few parts with just instruments. And to me a lot of them sound the same. So if you have heard on song youve heard em all.
Most of the stuff I listen to is from the 70s. I like different stuff form the 60s and 80s just most of the stuff i listen to is form the 70s

Chris

chris1237 said:
Puff Ill check out old Metallica. My friend has their first album that I like. I have to see if he'll let me copy it. I consider the new bands are the the ones that formed about 95ish-present. Very little of the stuff I hear on the radio is ok. Still would not spend money on them. The newest band I listen to is probably Guns n' Roses and I think their first album appetitie for distruction came out in 87?
My brother likes a lot of the new punk bands like yellow card, artaries or what ever the hell they are called ect. and I cant stand them and he hates my music. With his stuff it is short 3 min songs with alot of singing and very few parts with just instruments. And to me a lot of them sound the same. So if you have heard on song youve heard em all.
Most of the stuff I listen to is from the 70s. I like different stuff form the 60s and 80s just most of the stuff i listen to is form the 70s

Chris
All these new so called "bands" talk about in their songs, are how bad their chilhood was, my girlfreind left me, boo hoo.
That music is pretty depressing, thats all they play on radio stations anymore.
I'm a big Skynyrd fan, too bad there isn't that many original members left.Do you have good radio stations where you live?

Puff I am not to big of a fan of the new Skynyrd. Yes I got a bunch a great stations in my area. I think because I am close to philly. We got few that play mostly stuff from the 70s and some form the 60s and 80s and none of the newer bands. The we'ev a few that that play mostly metal, hard rock, and some newer stuff. There is about 4 -5 good stations around here. Then there are a bunch that suck.
Do you have any good stations?

Pretty much the same as you.
They all have different format's, there are some good ones, and some that really suck!
There is alot to choose from.

Pigs if you really like Bluegrass, check out a young band named Nickel Creek.
Love some Bluegrass.

Dale, if you like Nickel Creek step back 20 years and try some New Grass Revival. You might really like 'em. and I am in the same boat with Chris, just moved to North of Philly in the fall...and the radio stations are abysmal.

Back
Top Bottom