Rancher Charcoal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tri Tip

Head Chef
Found this at OSH in Huntington Beach CA.
The manager said it will be this pricie the whole summer.

Attachments

• IMG00128-20100615-1245.jpg
    IMG00128-20100615-1245.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 282
ScottyDaQ said:
Dudn't do me no good.

Did you buy the whole pallet?

At that price I'm thinken about stocken up for the winter. That stuff is the absolute hardest heaviest slowest burnen briquette i've ever tried. Heck it takes almost 45 minutes to fully light in a chimny.

Well thanks for the product review. I knew there was prob some decent briquettes out in the big krewlish world just aint seen none since I was young whuppersnapper. Now Kingsford was some good charcoal back in them days. The fella who changed up the formulation should be tarred and feathered along with the person who invented neck ties for men and panty hose for the ladies.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well thanks for the product review. I knew there was prob some decent briquettes out in the big krewlish world just aint seen none since I was young whuppersnapper. Now Kingsford was some good charcoal back in them days. The fella who changed up the formulation should be tarred and feathered along with the person who invented neck ties for men and panty hose for the ladies.

bigwheel

Man! I agree on the panty hose!!!! and the K smells like burning jock straps! The new stuff isn't quite as bad. I mainly use Lump, but for comps we need long burning consistancy so we use Stubbs. You get a pice of uncarbonized wood in you lump it can realy throw your flavor off.

bbquzz said:
Put a pallet load on the truck with the Chaney :LOL: That is a great price, last I looked at Trader Joes it was $6.99, still worth the price.

P.S. he got your check and your grill is in production. Soon you'll be cooken like a south central local! Maybe you'll get your own riot in your when your basket ball team wins! :LOL:

I like Chef's Choice brand lump which seems to be produced or maybe distributed by a one man company out in Sunny CA. Comes in 40 pound bags and has some funky difference in the size of the chunks. Some chunks is as long as your arm work your way down to dust in the bottom of the bag. It Mejico Mesquite..kissing cousin to Lazzari I think. It about 12 bucks a bag and available through the big wholesale grocery companies. Sysco and Ben E. Keith in this area. Forget it for use with a bullet smoker. The chunk sizes are too erratic to make it pack in the small firepan and burn right. It also a little sooty for chicken. Does great for big meats on big pits.

bigwheel

Tri Tip said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

Man! I agree on the panty hose!!!! and the K smells like burning jock straps! The new stuff isn't quite as bad. I mainly use Lump, but for comps we need long burning consistancy so we use Stubbs. You get a pice of uncarbonized wood in you lump it can realy throw your flavor off.

bigwheel said:
I like Chef's Choice brand lump which seems to be produced or maybe distributed by a one man company out in Sunny CA. Comes in 40 pound bags and has some funky difference in the size of the chunks. Some chunks is as long as your arm work your way down to dust in the bottom of the bag. It Mejico Mesquite..kissing cousin to Lazzari I think. It about 12 bucks a bag and available through the big wholesale grocery companies. Sysco and Ben E. Keith in this area. Forget it for use with a bullet smoker. The chunk sizes are too erratic to make it pack in the small firepan and burn right. It also a little sooty for chicken. Does great for big meats on big pits.

bigwheel

Tri Tip said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

Yep that is what I use 90% of the time. I get it at Restaurant Depot for $9.99 for 40 lbs. I buy rubermaid containers from Wal-Mart. I use the the back of a roofing hammer and break it up into uniform chunks a little smaller than a baseball, then put in in the containers. I like it the best. I like the flavor better than RO and it burns way longer. I think it's great on Beef Chicken Vegies and Fish. If you come across Frontier Lump (we got it at Lowes) it burns the same but the flavor is much more mild.

Dang thats a good price. Aint seen it in the less than 10 buck range in years. Course them distributing companies want to make a buck too etc. I am way too unergetic to chop up charcoal with a pick axe. I just use Ozark Oak for the R2D2's and Chefs Choice for the big pit. Those big and small chunks can be blended into a mosaic and give super long burn times with constant heat. It couldnt all catch at once even if it wanted to try.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom