Pinto's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JackB said:
OK, I'm new here so be gentle. How about some Plain O'l pinto bean recipe's. Things to mention are, when to add salt, which do you prefer, salt pork, ham hock, or bacon........etc.
Hello Jack, welcome to BBQ Central. I live in south Texas and know pinto beans well... I either cook them fast on the stove top or slow in a crock pot. I first lay the beans out on a cutting board and sort through them to find the defective ones and dirt or rocks. Remove any half beans too. Then I wash them off in a pot with cold tap water. Ok, now bring them to a rapid boil in a large pot. Once they boil, take them off the burner and let them sit for 1 hour.Drain the water. Now refill the pot with clean water and bring to a second boil and then turn down to simmer until they are soft. It takes about 1 to 2 hours only... I have used salt pork and bacon before. If you use salt pork, you don't have to add mush salt at the end. If bacon is used, then you might want to add salt to taste. NEVER ADD SALT TO COOKING BEANS... Ok, now if you don't need them until the next day, just use a crock pot to cook them.. Do the cleaning and washing then add them to the crock pot and add water. Put the lid on and start on high and then go the low after they start to soften. Keep and eye on the water level too.... Once they are finished you can put them in abowl and serve with "Cilantro & Onions" or "Pico de Gallo" .. Beans are soo good if cooked correctly.. I hope this helps you out man... :D

Adding a container (quart) of beef stock will help any of the recipes you try. I like Pacifica brand, it has an excellent flavor. It adds some bottom end to the bean juice. It's like the bass guitar in a band. ;) Which ever one you add make sure it tastes good before you use it. Some beef stock tastes terrible.

Re: No Way

JackB said:
Beans+Beano=No Fun :LOL:

Yeah Buddy.
fart.gif

ScottyDaQ said:
wdroller said:
Now we know what it takes to entertain JackB and ScottyDaQ. :LOL: :LOL:

Throw a lighter in there and it could be REAL fun.

Anyone wanna bet I can light a chimney without newspaper? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Uhmmm............................no, I'll take your word on that! No need for a picture, I'll still believe you! :LOL: :oops: :shock:

Back
Top Bottom