Pendarosa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Puff at least the paint brush had a hickory handle....
Well we are getting ready to head out to the Pendarosa….I’ll post tomorrow about what our day was really like…

wittdog said:
Puff at least the paint brush had a hickory handle....
Well we are getting ready to head out to the Pendarosa….I’ll post tomorrow about what our day was really like…
:grin: Have fun :!:

Well the day went well, we grazed from around 1:00 till who knows when..we even had time to squeeze in a few beers...pics to follow in the am...

I concur with Johns assessment….We had a great day and way to much food he also went thru about 4lbs of bacon I think…..We were supposed to deep fry today but we never even got the fryer out….There was too much other food…We started at 1:00 and I have no idea when we finished . John did get his big pit out….It was the first time he’s cooked on it in over a year.. Both the big pit and the WSM were going…We hung out with Lola’s mom. She’s a blast and makes and awesome chocolate cake She can’t wait to get back to Florida and show off some of the recipes that her John showed her….I think a WSM might be in her future..(FYI Pens if you decide to get grandma one for Xmass let us know we will be more than happy to chip in)
The day started with the Gumbo, homemade Biscuits (KFC style), Armadillo Eggs, a fatty stuffed with Prositudo and cheese, Corn wrapped in Bacon, Bacon wrapped shrimp, ABT’s, and 3 rack of BB coated with the Pens BBQ sauce.(Good stuff). Grandma make a chocolate cake that was out of this world. I was stuffed but it was so good that I had to have a second piece. We also had planned to deep fry, chicken wings, shrooms, cheese sticks, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, squash and twinkes…I did show some restraint and putt the pizza logs back…..We never did fry anything no one had room….We also managed to kill a case of beer and a batch of jello shots. Good times were had by all. For the record the Pens did put us to work the minute we walked in the door….But it was doing stuff we love cooking……
And the perfect day had the perfect ending...Our thermapen was waiting for us when we came home :grin:

yes, it was a blast!!! the pen's were fabulous hosts. Grandma was fun, and barely blinked an eye when dave told a story about a dog in college that became, um, visibly excited when he--the dog, that is-- drank Jack Daniels (don't ask, it was college....)

and as it seems to happen, the food just multiplied.... although we did figure out how that happens when we ultimately decided not to get the fryer out. the conversation went like this:

"Let's just fry the twinkies for dessert."
"Well, as long as we have the oil hot, dave really wants a couple of cheesesticks."
"And we did have that chicken marinating all day, so let's just do that too."
"And Mrs. Pen made up those crabcakes, so let's fry them up too."
"But Mrs. Dog's favorite is the cauliflower, let's do some of that....."

Fortunately, we stopped there and did not do the twinkies. This conversation occurred AFTER eating everything else dave mentioned!!!! Dave neglected to mention that although we did not have cheesy poofs, Lola made some cheese crisps (yummy!). She also treated us to homemade KFC biscuit-clones. But we were really looking forward to that nuked grilled cheese, which John never even brought out.

I don't know anywhere else we can go, eat our faces off, and go home with as much, if not more to eat.... It's always a great time with the pens! we are looking forward to next month's gluttonous get together!

Great friends, great times...

I concur with the Witts- I know it sounds improbable but we ate for almost 7 hours! We could not have had a better time and can't believe the amount of food prepared for 4 people. Luckily, my mom and our kids showed up (my kids even brought friends) and we STILL have an enormous amount of food! We figure the next time we see the Witts we'll just start with the deep fryer and go from there. Perhaps a menu is in order????? (Nawwwwww). My new signature is "I'm cooking and I can't stop!" #-o

Well, I made it up at the crack of noon...Is it wrong that Im burping bacon ? The Witts have given a fairly accurate portrayel of the days events...Ill add some pics...missed pics of the gumbo (witt got those the other day), the biscuits and the chocolate cake....

The day started with Gumbo and "KFC" style biscuits...nothing like a nice light snack to start a day of grazing. A very active discussion ensued regarding the scovall scale of the dish, but we had to side with Mrs. Witt that it was perfect. The homemade sausage in it was an exceptional treat..

The Italian armadello eggs were the first off the smoker...peppers stuffed with cheese and tomatoes and wrapped with sausage, then rolled in rub

next off was the fatty...Jimmy dean "jellyrolled" with prosciutto and provolone cheese...there were also some cheese crisps made in the oven witch I never tasted but they looked awesome...

At some point or another (and a few beers), Witt talked me into pulling the pit out of the weeds. It hasn't been fired up since New Years due to the arrival of the WSM. It took a few min., but it all came back to me how to use it. After about an hour it was setup and running. We used a mix of maple, oak and pecan wood. From left to right is; shrimp rolled in brown sugar wrapped in bacon, abt's (wrapped in bacon) and corn on the cob (wrapped in bacon)..are we seeing a theme? The corn was awesome. We soaked it in water prior to cooking and wrapping and smoked it for about 2 hours. Ive got to say, Ill, probably never boil corn again. It was so sweet and tender.....

After that phase of our graze was consumed, we wrapped up the day with ribs and chocolate cake (Im not sure in what order)...

And of course there's always room for jello...

There's a case of empty beer bottles on my kitchen floor that was full yesterday this time (you do the math)...believe it or not, there was a ton of food that never got cooked...chicken wings, fried chicken, fried veggies and mozz sticks and fried twinkies...due to the rain, we spent half the day inside and we all chopped, diced, assembled and prepped together...We made a batch of bbq sauce and I think Witt stole the recipe off my fridge and disappeared into the bathroom for a few min with a pad and pen...

So little time..so much food.... :grin:

John have I told you that I think I’m close to making a BBQ sauce that may be as good as yours? :) =D> It took John a little longer than a few minutes to remember how to start his big pit…..At least I got to see the flame thrower in action… :eek:

Next Time?????

Woodman said:
Sounds like you'll need more mouths next time?

Dang- you realize we do this once a month because it takes us that long to want to eat again???? More mouths are ALWAYS welcome, but with that brings more FOOD! Starting to see a pattern here?? :wwnn:

Back
Top Bottom