Off topic turkey fryer whathavenot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I know the old adage of "say something good or remain silent lesson well and I practice it faithfully." Now if somebody really wants to improve their skills and convinces me they want to hear the truth about their product by seeking and unbiased opiniyawn..which normally takes them getting on their knees and begging me to give a brutally honest appraisal..I will do it if I feel they are sincere. If I know or even suspect they are looking for praise of their skills I try to provide it. I have tasted some mighty crappy bbq whilst saying..."dang that was good." I just never bumped into anybody who needed congratulatory responses on the underlying theories of their self confessed lack of skills. Will have to admit its a puzzler for me. Might be opening up a new branch of psychological pathology here.

bigwheel

BW
I think Belly Maynard would have made some folks head explode on this board. Good to see you are keeping the tradition alive and well. :LOL:
Jim

bigwheel said:
Oh I know the old adage of "say something good or remain silent lesson well and I practice it faithfully." Now if somebody really wants to improve their skills and convinces me they want to hear the truth about their product by seeking and unbiased opiniyawn..which normally takes them getting on their knees and begging me to give a brutally honest appraisal..I will do it if I feel they are sincere. If I know or even suspect they are looking for praise of their skills I try to provide it. I have tasted some mighty crappy bbq whilst saying..."dang that was good." I just never bumped into anybody who needed congratulatory responses on the underlying theories of their self confessed lack of skills. Will have to admit its a puzzler for me. Might be opening up a new branch of psychological pathology here.

bigwheel

[smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif] [smilie=a_whyme.gif]

bigwheel said:

bigwheel

[smilie=offtopic.gif] [smilie=offtopic.gif] [smilie=offtopic.gif] [smilie=offtopic.gif] [smilie=offtopic.gif] [smilie=offtopic.gif] [smilie=offtopic.gif] [smilie=offtopic.gif] [smilie=offtopic.gif] [smilie=offtopic.gif] [smilie=offtopic.gif] [smilie=offtopic.gif] [smilie=offtopic.gif] [smilie=offtopic.gif] [smilie=offtopic.gif] [smilie=offtopic.gif] [smilie=offtopic.gif] [smilie=offtopic.gif] [smilie=offtopic.gif]

Man's Best Friend BBQ said:
jminion said:
BW
I think Belly Maynard would have made some folks head explode on this board. Good to see you are keeping the tradition alive and well. :LOL:
Jim

Well said Jim.... :LOL:

Need to understand I enjoy Bigwheel's posts, I know that he passes on good info but does it his way. BW has given me great info over the years (we go back a ways to some of the first BBQ boards out there).
Jim

jminion said:
Man's Best Friend BBQ said:
jminion said:
BW
Jim

Well said Jim.... :LOL:

Need to understand I enjoy Bigwheel's posts, I know that he passes on good info but does it his way. BW has given me great info over the years (we go back a ways to some of the first BBQ boards out there).
Jim

That's what I've heard from other people, unfortunately for this particular thread I don't see it.

You guys never cease to amaze me...however, it makes me happy to see that the most talked about topic on the forum is the forum members themselves. If we cannot rise up and smack our own then who can we smack??!!

Let's all TRY to be better at doing the right things here on the forum.

Locking up for the evening... ;)

Ok...Ive sat back and listned to all the shots being throw. I dont take sides but sometimes it seems some are just up for a fight...and thats ok with me...My whole big issue here is;

Why has no one said a word about the fact that Puff is getting and looking at Bed, Bath and Beyond mailers....???????
You guys are getting soft, and frankly I dont like it :x :x :x :x !!!!!

Greg Rempe said:
This thread hasn't been locked....yet! :shock:

If I were you, I would forget that deal. Them lock things is a pain. Like to burned down the house a few years back using one of the goofy things. Talk em into smoked combination locks. Much mo betta than just a regular lock in any configuration which might be envisioned. Just my dos centavos of course.

TO QUOTE CAPTAIN MORGAN:

...As far as the current battle raging, I have told Greg I stand by his actions either way.

Now let me say this....When this forum started, it was mainly by a small group of great bbq'ers with great senses of humor who were not being welcomed for various reasons, or even banned from other boards.
Early on, this place was wild and fun, and full of great knowledge and
sometimes contentious debate about cooking topics. Perhaps that is
the reason it has grown into what it is today.

As the forum became more popular, we became aware that many people didn't like the fighting, whether it was good natured or not.
So we created a Blue Room that one must ask to join...you don't even see it unless you've joined it. Off color stuff and "discussions" take place in there. However, as time went by, we also became aware that some of the "discussions" were pretty funny, and in some ways added to the value of the board.

Lately our jobs have gotten a lot tougher.

Realize that we act in a manner that we think is best for the board.
This board offers the best exchange of information on bbq and cooking
on the internet...why?

1. No sponsors means free and open exchange of information
without fear of censorship.

2. Real experts...proud to say internet legends like Jim Minion
and Stogie post here along with an incredible array of experts
on various topics....we have pit builders, caterers, sauce and
rub makers, contest champions, and our members post from
all regions: Alaska, New York, Texas, the Carolinas and Kansas, etc.
Opposing viewpoints offer information. It's a good thing.

3. Attacks aren't a good thing. Some may view it as teasing, some
may not take it that way. We'd like to grow this board even more
by not banning anyone. After all that's been said and done on this
board, only 2 people have been banned...both for attacking the board
and it's members while not offering any helpful insights. That's a quick
way to get banned. If you're helpful, or just entertaining, you will
most likely stay, albeit with a warning sometimes.

4. To me, the simplest way to solve a problem with an individual poster
is to not read their posts. That way, you can enjoy the benefits of the board without damaging it's integrity or inflaming the situation.

It's no biggie to me...this board will go on with or without any individual.
It's value lies in the fact that we are so diverse..much more so than the other boards who even have Texas and Kansas in their names, or those
dealing with only one kind of pit.

Relax and enjoy.

And don't make me kill you.

jminion said:
bigwheel said:
Well since you obviously a hard headed Kansas farmboy who aint gonna listen to reason...go buy the cheapest turkey gizmo they got at Academy Sports. They usually get down to 25 bucks or so. Go to Sams and buy the Creamy Heavy Duty frying oil from them. The peanut oil is utter nonsense invented for the purpose of parting dumb yups from their Platinum Visor Cards. Fry till your grease gets dirty then have your mama in law dig a hole and bury the used grease in the backyard. Thats how I always done it. Hope this helps. If you just got eat them nasty critters..they much mo betta smoked than fried. Actually they betta slow grilled over mesquite coals. Dont even get me started on that subject or speaking of Rotesseses. They expecting you at Academy.

bigwheel

MBFB
That is good advise, I won't buy peanut oil either(get's just as dirty as Creamy HD Fry oil does and needs to discarded for half the money).

Larry you posted that you need to measure with water the level of oil by placing in the bird in the pot with plastic still on the bird, I find that method means I would have add oil to get it above the top of the bird while cooking. Remove the plastic, place bird in the pot and fill with water until it is just above the bird. Remove the bird from the pot, the water level with the bird removed gives you the correct level for the oil.

Me thinks there is some other motivation here other than BW responces to this thread, but what the hell do I know.

Jim

Let me get to the bottom of this because I am the one who started the thread and the one who threw the first punch so to speak.

I simply asked about Turkey Fryers.

I got a reply from Bigwheel that totally turned around what I was asking.

Maybe I shouldn't have responded the way I did, but I did.

The reason I responded the way I did was because this was NOT the first time bigwheel offered his suggestions in the manner he suggests them, which is useless babble.

I continued my rant because Bigwheel kept going on and on about nothing.

Like I mentioned in my first reply to Bigwheel, I don't just reply back to someone lookin for a fight or to be an a$$, but when you reply with the remarks and suggestions as does Bigwheel, how can you not?

Bigwheel has been on this board longer than me, but so far regarding his history with other boards and his reputation around here, I have not found anything he has suggested, while I have been on this board, useful.

If bigwheel had not made the initial comments, this thread would not have ended up the way it did.

Finally, bigwheel, you must be the lady of the house because you continue to babble and go on and on about nothing.

Just my dos centavos of course

jminion said:
If the Plastic is still sealed then it displaces the water and you can not fill the cavity, with very small birds it may not make a difference but as you get to bigger birds it would have to greatly effect the fill level.

Jim

I don't know what to say...............Next time I'll take the plastic off after da Warden has dun crispy fried it up! Dat way I'll be gawwarandamteed there'ull be enuff earl in my keg to fry up dat yard bird. If if were up to me, I'd just smoke a picnic dats the way we nurmally do it here, but that's just my opinyawn. I'm just a dummy dat don't know nuffin' tryun to share my knawlege. Thanks for the clarifeyecashun wit da mattur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom