New Year's Eve Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob In Fla.

Head Chef
This isn't the "Pictures" section, so don't yell at me no pictures. :? :LOL:

What is on YOUR menu for New Year's Eve?

Mine is...
Pulled chicken (it's already on the Stump's BABY). ;)
Baby Back Ribs ("marinating" in their three layers of rub) :cool: :eek:
Hoppin' John
Collard Greens :!:
Corn Bread and maybe some Corn Sticks :cool:
Cheesy Grits ;) :P
anything else I think of... :roll: :? :eek: :shock:

BOB
some "Stumped" some not

Bacon wrapped shrimp for appateasers, smoked bone in center cut pork chops and twice baked potatos.

We are going to my Aunts for the 4th Day of Christmas..I think she is doing fried chicken. We are coming back home and doing apps and a stuffed Italian Sausage Fatty that will go on the smoker with the beef.

BLT club. Smoked pork tender loin topped with my favorite sauce, grilled bacon, lettuce, mater, on buttered and grilled sour dough bread. Its a winner!!

I'm not as energetic as Cappy, but was trained last year by Cappy ... fresh collards with ham hocks, hoppin' john with ham over rice and cornbread. This Yankee knows good eats.

I did not write the below.

Black-eyed peas and collards are the base of the Southern New Year's
Day meal. Pork also plays a part.

Traditionally, black-eyed peas and collards are cooked with pork or
fat-back, so, that would take care of the pork, although you could
also put some sausage or a nice slice of ham on the plate to make a
full meal.

All of the components symbolize good luck/prosperity/wealth.
The collards are green (and our dollar is still green, and the rest of
the money is still mostly green) - prosperity.

The pork is symbolic of progress and prosperity because the pig is the
only animal that eats while it is moving forward.

Black eyed peas symbolize good luck. There are several stories around
as to why. The one I have heard most is that when Savannah was burned
to the ground, the people suffered great deprivation, and then,
luckily, a huge barrel of black-eyed peas was discovered and the
black-eyed peas kept the population from starving until more food
could be had.

We are having Paula Deen's Taco Soup. Got a hot tip from the eldest male child its real good. We always do the ham and peas on New Years Day. I think we got some sneaky yankees on here who is trying to get the traditions mixed up and eat peas on New Years Eve. That brings very bad misfortunes unless done after midnight most likely.

bigwheel said:
We are having Paula Deen's Taco Soup. Got a hot tip from the eldest male child its real good. We always do the ham and peas on New Years Day. I think we got some sneaky yankees on here who is trying to get the traditions mixed up and eat peas on New Years Eve. That brings very bad misfortunes unless done after midnight most likely.
:roll: :?
Never, ever been above that Mason-Dixon Line thing, so there's NO WAY I could be Yankee. As a matter of fact, my Family Heratage is from North Carolina (if ya wanna call that North :? ) and on my Mama's side, there was some people named Davis. If ya go up there and snoop around a little in the family TREE, you'll find someone in there by the name of Jefferson. Yep the REAL PRESIDENT his-own-dammed-self.

I KNEW somebody'd call me out for starting a day early, but I never considered I'd be called a Yankee. :? The reason everything was cooked a day early (and feasted on!) was that my best-neighbor-in-the-WORLD was catching an aeroplane at some ungodly hour this morning, to go back to her home town and visit her folks. I wanted to share.

Don't worry though. I had some of everything listed above for lunch again today, and a bowl of most of it all mixed together with the cornbread on the side. Right after I post this, I am heading back for another bowl and probably the last of the cornbread. I got pleanty of New Years DAY food today, and even started a day early. ;) ;) ;) 8)

Have a Happy New Year, Mr. Wheel.

BOB

Bob In Fla. said:
bigwheel said:
Never, ever been above that Mason-Dixon Line thing, so there's NO WAY I could be Yankee. As a matter of fact, my Family Heratage is from North Carolina (if ya wanna call that North :? ) and on my Mama's side, there was some people named Davis. If ya go up there and snoop around a little in the family TREE, you'll find someone in there by the name of Jefferson. Yep the REAL PRESIDENT his-own-dammed-self.

I KNEW somebody'd call me out for starting a day early, but I never considered I'd be called a Yankee. :? The reason everything was cooked a day early (and feasted on!) was that my best-neighbor-in-the-WORLD was catching an aeroplane at some ungodly hour this morning, to go back to her home town and visit her folks. I wanted to share.

Don't worry though. I had some of everything listed above for lunch again today, and a bowl of most of it all mixed together with the cornbread on the side. Right after I post this, I am heading back for another bowl and probably the last of the cornbread. I got pleanty of New Years DAY food today, and even started a day early. ;) ;) ;) 8)

BOB

So your saying your not a yankee?

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Bob In Fla.":brbjvx09]
bigwheel said:

BOB

So your saying your not a yankee?[/quote:brbjvx09]
Not's far as I can tell. ;) :roll:

BOB
but y'all did win that war

Wow this is a coincidence..all my Daddy's folks on his Mama's side come from NC too. Now technically anybody who was not born in God's Country or migrated as soon as feasible is a yankee..excluding Cajuns and folks from Tennessee. They come down and helped kick Santa Anna's coola ya know? Now if a person gets much South of the Brazos the indigenous natives think folks from Foat Wuth is yankees and surely Amarillo. Get S. of the Rio Grande they think we are all yankees. I will try to get Florididdy nominated to get you off the list. Do you have an environmental impact study handy? Heard there is a lot of sand, bugs, hurricanes, fires and alligators down there. This project might take a while.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom