New Kingsford

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bubba

Executive Chef
For those that do not know...Kingsford has redesigned their briquettes with a groove that is supposed to burn hotter and longer. I did some pork steaks on the grill yesterday and used some of this. I was hoping for some better smells than I normally get from Kingsford but it was the same old thing...maybe a little worse. Smell on ignition in the chimney was unbearable. Burned the hell out of my eyes and really smoked a lot...an unusually large amount for charcoal. They say it burns hotter longer but I thought it was about the same...maybe even not as hot. I would think twice about using this stuff in competitions unless you are going to compete at Grand Rapids, Oinktoberfest, or Nelsonville...then by all means I'd use all I could get and don't preburn before you put on the fire. I wish we had a better alternative...Royal Oak briquettes aren't bad but I get so much ash from it. I guess it really doesn't matter for home grilling though 'cause in comps we use all wood...eh Woodman?

Uncle Bubba said:
For those that do not know...Kingsford has redesigned their briquettes with a groove that is supposed to burn hotter and longer. I did some pork steaks on the grill yesterday and used some of this. I was hoping for some better smells than I normally get from Kingsford but it was the same old thing...maybe a little worse. Smell on ignition in the chimney was unbearable. Burned the hell out of my eyes and really smoked a lot...an unusually large amount for charcoal. They say it burns hotter longer but I thought it was about the same...maybe even not as hot. I would think twice about using this stuff in competitions unless you are going to compete at Grand Rapids, Oinktoberfest, or Nelsonville...then by all means I'd use all I could get and don't preburn before you put on the fire. I wish we had a better alternative...Royal Oak briquettes aren't bad but I get so much ash from it. I guess it really doesn't matter for home grilling though 'cause in comps we use all wood...eh Woodman?

Wow thanks for the update , everytime it seems when they try to improve on the original they screw things up!!

Good post!
Makes me glad I burn sticks. Pretty much a known quantity there.
When they change the blend,or whatever they did...it just makes it harder to find a quality/reliable product.

I don't notice one bit of difference good or bad, other than it seems to light faster.

Some folks would bitch if you hung 'em with a new rope too.
2.gif

ZBQ said:
MUCH ADOO ABOUT NOTHING. (IMHO) I think people are just looking for something to gripe about because something has changed about the tried and true and they don't like change to anything they are comfortable with. Just my opinion.

I am sticking with the tried and true.

Still makes good Q and that is what is important to me.

Neil

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I used the new a few times. On an overnighter, I did use more than I usually use BUT, it was cooked on a colder than normal night. Neil hit it right, people like to complain about changes.

Might give humphries briquettes a try as well. I like their lump a lot. I'm just trying to find something that doesn't smell like an asphalt company when I start it. I can't take the chlorine-like smell of some of these brands. Everyone's nose is different. It will intersting to try a few more bags in the middle of the season and also get more opinions as more and more try it. 995 of the people won't know the difference. I may have gotten a bad batch or something. It has happened with the old stuff as well. One bag is good while the next smells terrible. Time will tell.

ya know bubba, I used to not notice the charcoal smell at all...then over time I started tasting some off in my butts....tried lump and the taste was gone.

doesn't bother me as much with beef or chicken, but I can definately taste it in pork.

Gleen writes >>>The $30 I save using kingsford instead of lump goes right in my pocket<<<

not sure where you got that figure from, or what you are paying for lump.. my lump cost is about 40 cents a pound,, the old kingsford ,on sale, was about 22 cents a pound it's myth that lump is extravagently expenisive... yes, you can pay a lot more for lump,,, but then again, you can go to the store and pay for kingsford, and find yourself shelling out $9 a bag.. works out to about a dollar a chimney by weight, less by volume.... btw...I 'm NOT into argueing about who uses better fires sources.. to each his own, I say... but money wise, lump is only marginally more expensive

notice the edit lol meant to say NOT into argueing dont want to see any feathers flying ove dopey ole firesources

Bob, at the HD I can buy 40-48lbs of Kingsford for $7-$9 depending on if there is a sale...or I can buy 20lbs of lump for $8... :) Am I missing something? :!:

Sometimes you just have to agree with the Big Kahuna...

yesterday new Kingsford was $9 and some change for 2 bags totaling 42 lbs.

Royal Oak Lump at GFS $8 and some change for 20 lb bag.

and you guys know how much I hate to agree that Greg is right about stuff. :grin: :grin: :grin:

40 pounds of lump cost me $16.. If I'm filling up a chimney of charcoal it's about 5 pounds give or take a few .. If I'm filling up chimney with lump, it takes less weight to fill and accomplish the same thing.... so the savings, net money wise, is nearly wipe out...especially on a brisket or butt type cook... my point is the perception that Lump is a lot more expensive to use than charcoals, is something I just cant see, or have experienced... not giving you a hard time about your preference, or math :!: lol , by any means

Bobberqer said:
Gleen writes >>>The $30 I save using kingsford instead of lump goes right in my pocket<<<

not sure where you got that figure from, or what you are paying for lump.. my lump cost is about 40 cents a pound,, the old kingsford ,on sale, was about 22 cents a pound it's myth that lump is extravagently expenisive... yes, you can pay a lot more for lump,,, but then again, you can go to the store and pay for kingsford, and find yourself shelling out $9 a bag.. works out to about a dollar a chimney by weight, less by volume.... btw...I 'm into argueing about who uses better fires sources.. to each his own, I say... but money wise, lump is only marginally more expensive

I'd hardly call lump marginally more expensive. Using your own figures it's almost 100% more and burns hotter and doesn't last as long as briquettes.

I love lump but for grilling, where I can utilize it's higher temps.

Kloset BBQR said:
Bobberqer said:

not sure where you got that figure from, or what you are paying for lump.. my lump cost is about 40 cents a pound,, the old kingsford ,on sale, was about 22 cents a pound it's myth that lump is extravagently expenisive... yes, you can pay a lot more for lump,,, but then again, you can go to the store and pay for kingsford, and find yourself shelling out $9 a bag.. works out to about a dollar a chimney by weight, less by volume.... btw...I 'm into argueing about who uses better fires sources.. to each his own, I say... but money wise, lump is only marginally more expensive

I'd hardly call lump marginally more expensive. Using your own figures it's almost 100% more and burns hotter and doesn't last as long as briquettes.

I love lump but for grilling, where I can utilize it's higher temps.
Only if you let it. 8-[

please note the edit on my original post.. I originally said I was into ... shuda read NOT into argueing .... over what, Fire sources?? not me.. could care less what people use.. I'm happy... they happy... makes for a nicer world...

I find my total consumption vs cost makes it better for me to use lump... full stop... the big price difference, to me, is not what people make it out to be. net/ net.., on the basis alone of $16 vs $10.95, even with the 4 pound difference in weight.. would be equivelant to $17.60, same weight lump .. I'll pay the $ 6. 65 difference, every time.. I'm also fortunate to be able to obtain commerical lump, so there in , might be a difference.. :grin:

i get mine at Resturant Depot, here in NY it's commercial grade stuff.. majority is large pieces... appreciate your taking the time to answer in a civil manner.. nice to know a discussion can occur w/o WWIII breaking out ...those Ala guys are getting lump, 40 pound bags for around $10 somewhere in Huntsville now that's an awesome price

any idea where in huntsville ? thats only about an hour south of my brother (squint) no doubt he would like to get in on that

Back
Top Bottom