Mustard On Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
I have used mustard on butts and ribs before. I almost think it helps tenderize the pork. Is it just in my head? Or is there something else going on. Any food science guys out there?
Thanks

Pigs

I'm no food science guy, but I've always been told it's nothing more than a "paste" for the rub to stick to the meat. I've always found that hard to believe that it does nothing, so I'm interested to see the responses on this.

I'm not in food science, but mustard does have vinegar in it, which is acidic, which might actually tenderize... but I really don't know.

I actually have not had mustard on ribs before! I think I have a plan for this weekend though... thanks!

Maybe a little taste test, two racks of ribs, one with mustard and one without, dry rub on both, 3-2-1 method, with no basting/glaze- to enhance the real flavor difference between the two, so I can get an idea of how the mustard carries through. Oh yeah, and whether or not one is more tender than the other.

I'll try to get 'er done this Sunday, get some pics up, and give my completely unprofessional assessment. :)

The vinegar in the mustard will minutely tenderize the outter portion of the meat if left on for an extended amount of time. You will NOT notice any difference whatsoever after cooking in either case. If you are using it as a tenderizer, you're wasting your time. If you're using it to create a thicker bark, then it works fine.

It does have vinegar in it. My pork always seems to come out better when I use it. But then I always do a white vinegar rinse with cryo vac pork.To get the stink off.

Pigs

Larry Wolfe said:
The vinegar in the mustard will minutely tenderize the outter portion of the meat if left on for an extended amount of time. You will NOT notice any difference whatsoever after cooking in either case. If you are using it as a tenderizer, you're wasting your time. If you're using it to create a thicker bark, then it works fine.
Thanks Larry. Cheap mustard works best. I kind of like it. :D

Pigs

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
It does have vinegar in it. My pork always seems to come out better when I use it. But then I always do a white vinegar rinse with cryo vac pork.To get the stink off.

Pigs

"What you talkin bout Willis?" --- Tell me more about this white vinegar rinse. I just rinsed (water only), patted dry and rubbed two cryovac packed butts, but have two racks of ribs for later in the weekend. Being new to BBQ I've not heard of this. Thanks for any help Pigs!

I'm not sure what gas they put in the cryo vac, But the meat is fine, just has a little stink to it. I just rinse it off with a atomizer bottle with white vinegar.

Pigs

I always use cheapo yellow mustard to slather my spare ribs.

On the butts I marinate overnight in Wicker's pork marinate (vinegar based).

My favorite rubs for both are Head Country & Big Ron's.

8)

Well my highly impotent message on this topic mysteriously dissapeared into cyberspace as has been the fate of several others. Are these folks jacking with me? Is the list poleece on duty or whut? I'm starting to get riled up. Hopefully it just a glitch in the bandwidth deal or similar. Kindly let me know.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom