mid-Atlantic Q joints?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
A motorcycling friend from northern MD asked me where would be a good place for a day ride to eat some barbecue. I replied:

We haven't found much of special merit around here. The franchises, Red Hot and Blue and Famous Dave's, will get you through hard times. Looking north first, Roadfood.com has a place called Clem's Barbecue west of State College PA, where 220 and 322 join. Looks potentially memorable. There's Chubby's at the intersection of Old Frederick Rd and U.S. 15 (Emmitsburg MD), which didn't speak to me the one time we stopped there -- a lot of pork in their servings, though. There was some chat on the board a while back about Bear Creek Old Pit BBQ in Callaway MD, over toward the Bay. I intend to try that sometime. Roadfood features Hocutt's Carolina Barbecue in Glen Dale WV, but that's clear over on the Ohio River. Mike E likes a place called Doc's BarBQ in Paris VA but I haven't tried it. (He also likes Willard's BBQ by the Dulles Expo Center; I'm less fond of it.) There's Allman's in Fredericksburg, but it tends recently to be so-so or less. I haven't been to Dixie Bones in Woodbridge, which Chris L says is pretty good. We have been wanting to try a highly touted place in Williamsburg called Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Q (don't know why "Pitt"), but Williamsburg is a good haul from the fringes of PA, maybe 4 hrs or so, and there aren't any special roads in between. Roadfood.com suggests Doumar's, but that's even farther, in Norfolk. It is the birthplace of the ice cream cone, though, so it might be worth a pilgrimage on that basis alone.

The only semi-serious questing we've been involved in has been in NC, but I've been thinking it'd be fun to do a VA or Mid-Atlantic tour, if only to be able to answer your question better. I'll ask for some recommendations on the barbecue board and see if anybody knows about good places I haven't found yet.

So help me out, please: Do you know any worthy Q restaurants in VA, WV, MD, PA, like roughly a 150-200 mile radius from Washington DC? I'll appreciate any tips you can give me.

--John

Sounds like Full Boar 2008 is shaping up. Damn, I'm stuck in the north with a full plate of work. Can I get an honorary t shirt?

Legand has it the the sign maker for Pierces BBQ mis-spelled the word PITT.... they wanted to open the place and have a sign up so they left the sign thinking they would go back and change it... they never did

There are 2 joints in Phila that could be worth a look. Tom Christian's 'Smoken Dudes' in Bensalem and Jerry and Linda Mulaine have a place called 'Big Daddy's BBQ'. I'm eating lunch at Smoken Dudes tomorrow and could report back if you are interested. If the guy is going to putt into the area have him email me for more details. If he's a righteous biker maybe I'll lead him on some great roads. Always looking for a ride.

Ate ribs and wings at Smoking Dudes on Sat.
Ribs were perfect, but the mustard wings were addictive. Crunchy skin with honey/mustard sauce. Didn't think mustard would be good. I learned something new.

You guys are definitely helping me build a list. Thanks.

But where are the other VA-WV-MD-PA folks? Don't you ever try restaurant Q, even though you can make better at home? Larry, BTTG, Gary, Eric?

--John
(GlennR Olney MD
BobT Lancaster PA
KenP Rockville MD
YardBurner Damascus MD
Hoss's BBQ WV
chris1237 PA
beachbummer Harrisonburg VA
Chiles Richmond VA
wboggs Pittsburgh PA
jwatki Fluvanna VA
Dan - 3EyzBBQ Owings Mill MD