Memorial Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
observe.gif

"...gather around their sacred remains and garland the passionless mounds above them with choicest flowers of springtime....let us in this solemn presence renew our pledges to aid and assist those whom they have left among us as sacred charges upon the Nation's gratitude,--the soldier's and sailor's widow and orphan." --General John Logan, General Order No. 11, 5 May 1868
The "Memorial" in Memorial Day has been ignored by too many of us who are beneficiaries of those who have given the ultimate sacrifice. Often we do not observe the day as it should be, a day where we actively remember our ancestors, our family members, our loved ones, our neighbors, and our friends who have given the ultimate sacrifice:

* by visiting cemeteries and placing flags or flowers on the graves of our fallen heroes.

* by visiting memorials.

* by flying the U.S. Flag at half-staff until noon.

* by flying the 'POW/MIA Flag' as well (Section 1082 of the 1998 Defense Authorization Act).

* by participating in a "National Moment of Remembrance": at 3 p.m. to pause and think upon the true meaning of the day, and for Taps to be played.

* by renewing a pledge to aid the widows, widowers, and orphans of our falled dead, and to aid the disabled veterans.

Well said and posted, Surfin.
I had edited a news letter for my motorcycle club a couple of years ago, and wrote a column in it on memorial day for the vets. I also listed the names of members who served. Well first crack at it left a ton of guys off the list, which I was told about right quickly. Each year I was reminded of more names that escaped (amazed at how many served). The point is, it was VERY important to them. I wasn't that sensitive to my name on the list for some reason. Then yesterday, a lady who I had just met, thanked me. For some reason it meant something then. Now I know what those bikers were feeling.
Thanks to all who served, and especially the combat vets. You done good!!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom