Maple Syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey witt do ya make candys & things with syrup? I got a sweet tooth also :D I'll bet fresh from the tree make the store bought stuff taste like ditch water

I might have to look at candy recipes but this stuff is so good..I dont' know...I was thinking about getting the fryer out and making some donuts with a maple glaze...or maybe I'll find some self rising flour and try out a fandamstastic biscut recipe..biscuts and maple syrup... ;)

Just had waffles, fatties and strawberries for lunch with the syrup...as for the Canadian Syrup..thats some pretty good stuff to...wait to the Vermont crowd gets here.... :roll:
Some how...1/3 of a bottle is gone. :shock: The boys were digging it.

OK you maple syrup pros I have a question. I have always been told that people in the know prefer grade B syrup to the grade A because the flavor is more intense and it only lacks the clarity of the A. I like grade B just fine and it is quite a bit cheaper to boot. What thinks the folks from the great white north?

zilla said:
OK you maple syrup pros I have a question. I have always been told that people in the know prefer grade B syrup to the grade A because the flavor is more intense and it only lacks the clarity of the A. I like grade B just fine and it is quite a bit cheaper to boot. What thinks the folks from the great white north?

I buy Maple Syrup by the case. I only use Quebec Maple syrup. I shop solely with MAcVicars Farms. They sell on eBAy and also privately. THey use the name Maplefred I have been dealing with this family for a couple of years. They have a few grades however I will say grade "A" is by far my favorite for pancakes waffles etc. It is beautiful stuff so clear and light. The way a real grade a should look. It should be the color of extremely light cornsyrup. THe flavour is perfumed with maple. However if you are making sauces or glazing BBQ stuff lower grades work well as they have a darker color and the flavour is much much different. It is not so much as more maple flavour but it is in a nut shell harsher. It is the crap syrup that is left at the end. It is the color of molasses. You have to experiment to see what works for you. Different sauces IMHO reqquire different grades.

JUst want to add that in Canada the grading is as follows I just copied it from the Maplefred site:
Our maple syrup is all Canada #1 with choice of colour grades Extra Light, Light and Medium. We do have Dark but only if specifically requested.

I just heard on the radio that there is a maple syrup festival this weekend some where near me. I still don't know parts of this area that well because I only travel to certain places. lol Sounds like a really fun thing to check out with the family. Too bad, I have way too much to do this weekend in preparation for leaving on vacation on Thursday.

zilla said:

I guess I live in the great white north, there predicting 10-20 inches of snow tomorrow. Sugaring season just started here last week and it was a good run, nice light syrup.

Vermont changed the grading of maple syrup a few years ago ( I think). Grade A fancy is a light sweet syrup that is often sold in cute, fancy bottles to un-suspecting tourists. A then branches into light amber and dark amber, both are sweet with the dark amber having a stronger maple flavor. Grade B is a darker less sweet but stronger maple flavored syrup thats great for cooking. There is also a darker grade mostly sold for commercial use.

I like grade A dark amber for all around use, It's the old B. Each year I go through 5-6 gallons, mostly for sauces and some gifts.

Sugaring is a lot like BBQ cooking, you stay up all night drinking, eating, talking trash and burning wood.

Rich Decker said:
zilla said:

I guess I live in the great white north, there predicting 10-20 inches of snow tomorrow. Sugaring season just started here last week and it was a good run, nice light syrup.

Vermont changed the grading of maple syrup a few years ago ( I think). Grade A fancy is a light sweet syrup that is often sold in cute, fancy bottles to un-suspecting tourists. A then branches into light amber and dark amber, both are sweet with the dark amber having a stronger maple flavor. Grade B is a darker less sweet but stronger maple flavored syrup thats great for cooking. There is also a darker grade mostly sold for commercial use.

I like grade A dark amber for all around use, It's the old B. Each year I go through 5-6 gallons, mostly for sauces and some gifts.

Sugaring is a lot like BBQ cooking, you stay up all night drinking, eating, talking trash and burning wood.

Smoething tells me "Clonesicles" make an appearance, as well 8)

anyone have any interest trading some of the liquid gold for a 28 oz jar of Billy Bones rub ???

Bobberqer said:
anyone have any interest trading some of the liquid gold for a 28 oz jar of Billy Bones rub ???

Bob, remind me at a contest, I usually have a small bottle in my pantry bin (In case I run out of the big jug I always carry and use).

I guess the first time I'll see you is Yardly.. might have to write that down somewhere :LOL: .... Rich, are you to the BBQ Convention in PA?.. I think I'm driving over on SAturday to spend the day..Not that far from your brothers house... 8)

Bobberqer said:
I guess the first time I'll see you is Yardly.. might have to write that down somewhere :LOL: .... Rich, are you to the BBQ Convention in PA?.. I think I'm driving over on SAturday to spend the day..Not that far from your brothers house... 8)

I think most of my team from down there are going on Saturday. Bruce and his son Adam were up here last Saturday, we made a road trip to Lake Placid for a bobsled ride and he's joining me at Lake Placid. On Friday at Yardley we are going to dump the stuff than go to a Phillies game and then see a little of the night life. I can't wait to start.

Rich Decker said:
Bobberqer said:

I think most of my team from down there are going on Saturday. Bruce and his son Adam were up here last Saturday, we made a road trip to Lake Placid for a bobsled ride and he's joining me at Lake Placid. On Friday at Yardley we are going to dump the stuff than go to a Phillies game and then see a little of the night life. I can't wait to start.

Jack McDavids place, and Linda and Jerry's place ??? ??? lol

Actually it more like high priced sugar. If the stuff got some redeeming qualities I aint quite figgered out whut it might be. If you want something to tastes mapaleze..bettta plan on some artificial flavor. You start fiddling around with it on bbq it just translates to sweet. Dumb yankees.

bigwheel

I've never had New England syrup but on my annual summer trip to the Yukon I always stock up on Canadian maple syrup. I would never allow artificial maple flavoring in my house. That would be the same as artificial rum flavoring. Just would not do.

Griff

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom