Maple Syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i also would never use artificial flavouring. Additionally if you play with the vinegar / mple syrup ratio in a bbq sauce it does not run to sugar.

All this talk of maple syrup has somehow enticed me into spending five bucks for an eight oz bottle made by a Canadian company called Reese.
It is grade A dark amber.

Cliff H. said:
All this talk of maple syrup has somehow enticed me into spending five bucks for an eight oz bottle made by a Canadian company called Reese.
It is grade A dark amber.

Unity said:
Thanks, Diva, I'll give 'em a try. :D

--John 8)
(What's better than a syrup recommendation from a Canadian? :LOL: )

Have you guy's ever thought buying from an AMERICAN maple producer and supporting a family owned AMERICAN farm.

Well in all reality there are things Americans do well and then there are things Canadians do well.

Maple Syrup is one of things we do IMHO better than anywhere else in the world.

That and Hockey.

That about sums it up.

Diva Q said:
Well in all reality there are things Americans do well and then there are things Canadians do well.

That and Hockey.

That about sums it up.

Just can't seem to keep teams up there. :LOL:

Diva Q said:

That and Hockey.

That about sums it up.

Well, Quebec makes up about 80% of the worlds maple syrup production and 80% of that is made up of large factory farms protected by a maple cartel that limits production to drive up the price. There is maple syrup sitting in warehouses, kept off the market, to artificially build up the price.

In Vermont family farms use sugaring to help support their farms. Their maple is top rate and I bet you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I support American family farm's and you can have hockey.

Rich you are correct in regards to part of what you posted about Quebec Maple syrup however Families can opt not to be part of the consortium.

The farm I support is not part of it. Furthermore I can tell the difference.

I support grass roots farms and their families. I don't care if they are from USA or Canada.

Nick Prochilo said:
General consensus seems to be, maybe it's just a dumb texan, not a dumb yankee.

good one nick...

just picked up some B grade locally, good stuff....only got a half gallon, i'm waiting for the C grade to come out (should be anytime)....it's all the same price at the sugarhouse i go to... this year it's $46/gallon....

if i were to use it for pancakes, i'd go with the grade B, packed with flavor...the grade C is more like molasses....i think the guy who runs the sugarhouse was saying it usually takes him about 100 gallons of sap/gallon of grade C....contributing to the really dark color also is more, let's just say "other material besides sap" in the lines from the trees to the sugarhouse....

Rob

Back
Top Bottom