Maple Syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
My contact at work told me that the first run Maple Syrup will be ready in a few days [smilie=a_tongue.gif]

Wow, I kind of would think it's kind of early. Got to call my pal in Attica. He makes a killer maple mustard.
Any one smoke with sugar maple wood? I did a ham one time with it. Good indeed. :D

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Wow, I kind of would think it's kind of early. Got to call my pal in Attica. He makes a killer maple mustard.
Any one smoke with sugar maple wood? I did a ham one time with it. Good indeed. :D

I use sugar maple all the time.. nice, mild flavor cut down a 50 foor tree a few years back, and am about out of it :?

Witt.. you wanna do the Maple trade again this year.. let me know

He make your license plate too?? :shock:

Bobberqer said:

I use sugar maple all the time.. nice, mild flavor cut down a 50 foor tree a few years back, and am about out of it :?

Witt.. you wanna do the Maple trade again this year.. let me know
Sure Bob...I'm still waiting for the call...we'll talk about it then...
The guy from work brought in the Maple Syrup today...he said that warm spell we had a week or two was enough to get the sap flowing...

Grade A Amber
It's liquid Gold...man oh man...had to have a little taste test...

mmmmm yummy stuff.

Wittdogs kids can give any one here a lesson on maple syrup and its valuable properties.

[/quote]I was thinking about you and the "syrup" at oink :LOL: ....[/quote]

:shock: witt . . . one of the first rules of the BBQ world . . . what happens at competitions, stays at competitions . . . ;)

YOur kids sure were smart cookies at Oink Witt, but did we mention we left the real stuff at home that weekend and only had crappy pancake syrup.

That was my fault, I forgot the real Canadian stuff.

I was thinking about you and the "syrup" at oink :LOL: ....[/quote]

:shock: witt . . . one of the first rules of the BBQ world . . . what happens at competitions, stays at competitions . . . ;)[/quote]
I thought that was Vegas......I think one of the reasons for that statement is .....some people have a hard time remembering what happened in the firs place :oops:
At the comp Diva was nice enough to feed the kids breakfast they had pancakes....and after hearing how the Canadian Maple Syrup was so much better then the stuff in the states...Team Diva Q tried to pass of some imitation syrup to the boys....the boys balked and said thanks but no thanks...my dads got the good stuff....
:LOL:

Nothing like having two litttle boys put a grown woman in her place. :oops:

Good boys you have raised them right.

Can anyone "in the know" help me figger out how to get a hold of the good stuff way down here in Texas? Its hit or miss and seems way over priced in some of my searches on the internet...any suggestions? 8)

gator said:
Can anyone "in the know" help me figger out how to get a hold of the good stuff way down here in Texas? Its hit or miss and seems way over priced in some of my searches on the internet...any suggestions? 8)

I'm here at the North Central border of Massachusetts right close
to Vermont and a stones throw from New Hampshire. Maybe I'm
biased, but I think the best Maple Syrup comes from right around
here.
It's gonna have to warm up quite a bit for sap to start to run local
here, but when it does I'd be happy to hook you up with some of
the locals stuff. Only problem is , it's not as cheap as it used to be.
Last spring I sent a gallon or two to some old friends in Florida and
it was right around $42.00 a gallon... probably be a tad higher this
year, everything seems to be.

Whatcha consider way over-priced on what you're finding?
I know I trade with another buddy in Florida gallon for gallon
for Pure Tupilo Honey that his Grand-Daddy put up in barrels
when he himself was a youngin'......Honestly, I'd give 2 gallons
of syrup for one of that honey, but he feels the same way
about the syrup I send him.

Doesn't it take something around 10 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup? That has to account some for the high price.

Rag said:
Doesn't it take something around 10 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup? That has to account some for the high price.

It takes about 40 gallons of sap to make one gallon of
syrup...sometimes upwards of 50 gallons sap, depending on
sugar content in that batch.

I think the "higher" prices this year are just gas prices. Ya still
have to drive around an collect the sap and use gas to cut the
wood for the fires etc... It's generally expensive yes, but gas
prices just make it that much higher :( . I'm adding
a link to a local sugaring house's syrup process, if you navigate
around the site, it will take you to thier stuff for sale. They have
VERY good quality syrup if anyone wants to order from them.

I have to say if anyone buys Maple Syrup...always buy it in a
metal container, never opt. for plastic....it's a flavor thing...
or maybe it's just me.

Can't wait for sugaring season. Nothing like fresh syrup
from the tap poured out on a handful of snow!!!! :D

https://parkersmaplebarn.com/maplesyrup.php

I still have some from last year I wrote BAD DO NOT EAT on the jars :twisted: Its super good stuff. Thanks to all that sent me some

Back
Top Bottom