Lump Charcoal Ratings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Uncle Bubba said:
Ditto on the Humprey's. Very consistent. Going to get a big load next time through Buffalo next month.
Forget about finding it at the food terminal....I havent' seen it there for over a year....

Double dittos Ozark Oak. Mighty good stuff for feeding small grills..R2D2's etc. Now on a bigga pit I favor the highly erratic shaped Mesquite from Mexico. Last I bought through Sysco was 11 and some change for a 40 pound bag. Chef's Choice I think is whut its called. Lazzari is the same stuff with a higher price tag. Maybe slightly mo uniform shape. I aint had none in a long time. Here is a link about Chef's Choice. They don't seem to have a webpage.

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_02mq34

bigwheel

Captain Morgan said:
by the way, check out the ceramic fire flash video on that site.
fl2.jpg

Eggs will do that if they are shut down after being revved up to 700 or so while cooking steaks and such.

Oddly enough the BGE book tells you to sear the steals while the temps are soaring, then shut the cooker down for two minutes at the end to finish the steaks. They also say to open the vents first before opening the lid after this, but who reads instructions beforehand? This is when I got my arm blasted with a giant puff of burning gas.

I am aware of this now and carefully open the vents on the egg FIRST to let in some oxygen slowly and burn off the accumulated gas before opening the lid.

Try it...after a few times you can judge when to scoop up the coals for perfect lump every time!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been making my own lump for years. I just get a good "campfire" going with downed limbs and leftover firewood. When the wood has burned down to coals, I scoop them up and place them in a Weber grill and put the top on with all the vents closed. ( Of course any airtight container that can take the heat will work. I have made charcoal with tin foil in the gas grill.) The next day (or two if you really want to be safe) you open the lid and the will be some of the nicest lump charcoal you will ever come by. Pick out the big lumps and put them on a bag or a garbage can with a waterproof lid.

The trick is to boil off the hydrogen, and then shut off the oxygen when only the carbon remains to stop the oxidation process. In other words: Burn it down to coals and then cut off the air and let it cool. ;)

Old boy named Dan Gill from VA good pals with old Dave Lineback makes his own charcoal..or piddles with it. He used to have a website which teach folks how to do it like he does it but aint sure where is the link these days. I was a died in the wool offset type back in dem good old days when me and him used to discuss stuff. Did swing over mo to charcoal in my latter years but still way to lazy to roll my own. I am now stictly a gas grill and electric Brinkmann Gourmet cooker. I use the gas for tin stuff..and electricity on the tic stuff. I really think that is the way the Lord intended us to cook by making use of all the modern conveniences He has given us. Just guessing of course. :LOL:

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Old boy named Dan Gill from VA good pals with old Dave Lineback makes his own charcoal..or piddles with it. He used to have a website which teach folks how to do it like he does it but aint sure where is the link these days. I was a died in the wool offset type back in dem good old days when me and him used to discuss stuff. Did swing over mo to charcoal in my latter years but still way to lazy to roll my own. I am now stictly a gas grill and electric Brinkmann Gourmet cooker. I use the gas for tin stuff..and electricity on the tic stuff. I really think that is the way the Lord intended us to cook by making use of all the modern conveniences He has given us. Just guessing of course. :LOL:

bigwheel

Yes indeed. I read this web page many years ago, and it gave me the motivation I needed to start doing my own charcoal. Thanks for reminding me.

Mr. Gill your web page is still out there and is alive and well.

Charcoal Making at Home:D

Back
Top Bottom